Uncertainty for over 70s. (Debate)

rachel Grant
👍

Wed 25 Mar 2020, 01:30

Oh dear, that's not great news for all of us now stuck in our homes currently working our way through the stockpiled food!! 

John Partington
👍

Tue 24 Mar 2020, 18:50

Well, I read today that the most common entrants into intensive care are sixty-four year-old males .. like yours truly.  None of them are pregnant, I presume, but I gather that the main common factor, for them at least, is obesity.

rachel Grant
👍 2

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 23:36

If you look at the available data from WHO virtually all people in all age groups (including those in their 30’s and 40’s) who have died from the virus had significant underlying illnesses. 75% had 2 or more pre existing conditions and the remaining 25% had 1 pre existing condition. Approx 0.8% had no pre existing conditions. 

So, to say healthy people in their 30’s and 40’s are critically ill may not be accurate and may cause unnecessary alarm. But yes, those in older age groups (who tend to have pre existing conditions) are indeed at higher risk of complications are advised to self isolate for their own protection.

Meraud Hand
👍 4

Sun 22 Mar 2020, 21:50

Sorry not to be very amusing, but 5 days is most certainly not enough. The virus has an incubation period during which you are infectious, but you actually only start feeling sick on day 10-ish, apparently. So if you have it after 5 days you still won't know, and you'll be spreading it - and if you don't have it, all the people on days 1-9 will be spreading it around Witney including possibly to you.

Oxfordshire seems to have a slower rate of spread than some places, and if people stay put a bit longer we might be able to keep it that way. Some previously healthy people in their 30s and 40s are getting critically ill, and unfortunately being over 70 puts you in a high risk category no matter how healthy you are.

Jean Adams
👍

Fri 20 Mar 2020, 18:52

As I am 84 and drink a moderate amount of alcohol.  I understood that I have to remain isolated for12 weeks. Initially I stayed isolated for 5 days and have now continued to be isolated. Laid off my Cleaner. Other friends think 5 days is enough and have been shopping in Witney. What is the correct advice, does anyone know. I am not pregnant!, at 84, have diabetes or chronic chest infection or asthma.

Keep it humerous!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.