Panic buying

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Sun 15 Mar 2020, 11:49

“What are we going to do about the rich?” was one of the tracks on last year’s 4 track Agenda e.p. by British pop duo the Pet Shop Boys. After all the rich will always make sure they’re alright and to hell with the rest of the peasants! 

Katie Ewer
👍 3

Sun 15 Mar 2020, 11:09

Sadly, many people on low fixed incomes don't have the luxury of being able to panic buy as they just don't have the money available to bulk buy meaning that the most vulnerable in society become even more vulnerable. It seems that the pleas to not buy more than is needed are not being heeded by the better-off members of society. 

Christopher Betts
👍 2

Sun 15 Mar 2020, 09:43

If you need to buy online, don't wait. Being old I have been ordering online from Ocado for some time now, every Sunady booking a next Wednesday daytime slot. Never any problem. Last week I ordered early but could only find a daytime slot on Tuesday. For this week I ordered a whole week in advance and Wednesday day slots were still available. So today I looked at what was available ten days ahead, for Wednesday 25th: late evening only. Message clear: almost everyone who can is buying way ahead and no doubt more than they will need. Same no doubt for Waitrose, Tesco, Sainsbury's .... (I got a very sensible email from Sainsbury's boss asking people not to panic-buy). I must admit to panic-buying two bars of Pears soap (unavailable from Ocado) from our blessed pharmacy yesterday.

Meraud Hand
👍

Sat 14 Mar 2020, 14:56

Apparently Daniela/the Community Centre are co-ordinating support. See the thread on the main board.

Matthew Greenfield
👍 1

Thu 12 Mar 2020, 21:28

I bought two loaves of Deep's delicious bread from the Breadshed today

Liz Reason
👍 4

Thu 12 Mar 2020, 16:00

I panic-bought birthday cards from Tim this afternoon.  (Well, two actually, but it's a start).

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍 1

Wed 11 Mar 2020, 09:11

Leading on from Ali Ross' suggestion, would it be a good idea to have an official list of volunteers, with names and contact details available through the Town Council, who would be contactable and able to leave food and other essentials outside the home of any resident who is self-isolated, but may not have local family to help.

Jean Adams
👍 1

Tue 10 Mar 2020, 21:53

The books have been donated in the Corner House with the proceeds going to the Corner House for the up keep and improvement of the building. They are not there for anyone to remove and tear up for any reason.

Claire Wilding
👍 5

Tue 10 Mar 2020, 21:30

Pop over to the corner house book sale, plenty of large novels, for 50p you could have 500 sheets of toilet paper!

Peter Evans
👍 6

Tue 10 Mar 2020, 16:47

As a resident of Stonesfield I will be happy to bring supplies

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 10 Mar 2020, 15:24

Panic buying has its consequences, possibly fatal in their own right.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/food-banks-run-out-of-milk-and-other-staples-as-shoppers-panic-buy-coronavirus?

Steve Jones
👍 3

Mon 9 Mar 2020, 16:25

I wouldn't want to emulate Eyam too closely given that some reports have it that there were just 83 surviving out of a population of 350.

In any event, wasn't it residents of other villages that left supplies at the parish boundary? Does anybody know if the residents of Chadlington or Stonesfield would be so obliging?

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sun 8 Mar 2020, 18:38

Great idea Ali!  We could become a 21st century Eyam!

Ali Ross
👍 9

Sun 8 Mar 2020, 18:07

How about if, instead of panic buying, we all agree that, whoever in the town is required to self-isolate, the rest of us will make sure they have what they need?

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 8 Mar 2020, 17:27

Well, things improved when we graduated to Bronco and Izal.  Or did they?  ;-)

Rod Evans
👍 2

Sun 8 Mar 2020, 17:15

I do hope the other way round Hannen!  But I can certainly think of a few newspapers which would make great - and very satisfying - substitutes for loo paper - and as long as I leave their titles to readers' imaginations (does anyone recognise the line 'The gorgon headed scandal sheets...?') this hopefully won't end up in Debate!

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 8 Mar 2020, 15:15 (last edited on Sun 8 Mar 2020, 15:15)

I recall, as a lad (a very long time ago) having to use newspaper, which was then used to wrap the fish'n'chips.  Or was it the other way around? 

Andy Godfrey
👍 4

Sun 8 Mar 2020, 10:02

Keeping a keen eye on the dock leaf situation over Wigwell.

Andy Godfrey
👍

Sun 8 Mar 2020, 09:19

Encountered a similar situation in Chippy Co-op yesterday morning. The other obvious empty space was the tomato ketchup shelf.  Got to love us British!

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 8

Sat 7 Mar 2020, 18:19 (last edited on Sun 8 Mar 2020, 09:55)

Wish people would start to panic buy in my shop 😁 we have stacks of bars of soap as washing your hands with soap  and water is proven more effective than at eradicating germs than using hand sanitizer alone 

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 4

Sat 7 Mar 2020, 17:54

I see that the Co-op shelves have been denuded of toilet paper.

I should probably pass on the rumour that Penicillium roqueforti, as found in blue cheese such as Perl Las, is said* to be 110% effective against the coronavirus. I expect to see long queues out the Deli front door on Monday morning.

* I just made this up

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.