Recycling question for the Charlbury Hive mind

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 15 Feb 2020, 18:33

Brigid, that's what I was also told!

Brigid Avison
👍 1

Sat 15 Feb 2020, 11:03

Christine, having recently had my (faulty) hard drive removed, I was told the best way to deal with it, when I no longer keep it as an emergency back-up, is to smash it with a hammer!

Janet Sly
👍 1

Wed 12 Feb 2020, 21:25

If the hoover or other electrical appliance has a 'CE mark' (manufactured since 1985) and is in working order, bring it to the Bring and Take electricals drop off on Saturday 22 Feb from 11 - 12. It will then be PAT tested and if it passes will be taken to the Bring and Take event on 29th Feb. See details in the events listing. (If you are not sure it if is working or think it could be fixed, you can still drop it off, or look out for a pop up Repair Cafe coming to Charlbury soon!)

Jean Adams
👍

Wed 12 Feb 2020, 17:45

I have two old Hoovers. Are they recyclable?

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Wed 12 Feb 2020, 09:23

I think you are right, Philip, except the WODC website says no TVs or computer screens. Curry's in Banbury took my computer screen & seemed to have a good recycling programme in place. You don't need to be buying a new screen from them. 

I don't think my own printer would fit inside the box, however. Even if it did, I wonder about how well it would be treated, and how suitable for recycling it would end up being.

For safety reasons, I certainly wouldn't want to leave a computer with a hard drive out in the street. I know that various Charities take mobile computers (and also phones), but I would want to make them safe first by destroying the hard drive or cutting through the chip.

I have just discovered an older (removed) computer hard drive in my house. Has anyone any good ideas about how best to make it safe without taking it in to Systems & Solutions, Curry's or somewhere equivalent?

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 12 Feb 2020, 08:16

Correct me if wrong, but I thought that if the redundant electrical item would fit inside one of the WODC black recycling boxes, they would collect?

Jody O'Reilly
👍 2

Sun 9 Feb 2020, 20:13

Thanks both. I found Hannen’s website too though the actual info on recycling is pretty minimal. I will call Curry’s and PC world to see if they can help

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 9 Feb 2020, 08:35

https://everycartridge.com/uk/printer-recycling/

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 8 Feb 2020, 19:30

Systems & Solutions in Witney took my old desktop PC for £25. (It needed its hard-drive making safe, hence the cost.) They also sell new printers, so it's worth asking if they can also recycle old ones. 01993 706161. But you'll need a car to get there.

I think Curry's/PC World in Banbury or Oxford should also do this for free.  

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Sat 8 Feb 2020, 13:03

Hello all, does anyone know where I can take an HP desktop printer to be recycled/repurposed?
My work has just replaced my printer, which has a blocked ‘blue’ ink nozzle and chews pages if you try to print more than about 4 pages at a go. I dont want to bin it and thought there might be somewhere specific I could take it for recycling. I think it’s too big to put out as a small electrical item with my regular recycling. 
thanks all

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.