Aggressive cows

Hans Eriksson
👍

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 10:38

Any news about the aggressive St Bernhard dog (I know, it's rare that breed is aggressive) at Coldron Mill?

Andy Godfrey
👍

Thu 22 Aug 2019, 06:20

Gertcha, cowson, gertcha.
Liz Puttick
👍

Wed 21 Aug 2019, 20:54

Aggressive cows?? Or are we talking about gentlemen cows (aka b****cks)?

Susie Burnett
👍

Wed 21 Aug 2019, 20:17 (last edited on Wed 21 Aug 2019, 21:35)

My 13-year-old son and I got stuck between two fields of cows near Spelsbury church in the spring and couldn’t go in either direction - the herd charged at us at frightening speed and then blocked the footpath. They were very aggressive and my son was terrified. 

Peter Finch
👍 4

Wed 21 Aug 2019, 13:02

I guess the issue is now moo-t?

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Tue 20 Aug 2019, 15:30

I have been in contact with the officers concerned and they are now aware of the problem

Frank Payne
👍

Tue 20 Aug 2019, 14:49

Thanks Liz. I've reported the problem using the link you gave. We have met several dog walkers who have stopped us and asked if the cows are in the field, and have said that they now no longer walk that path. The link you gave is very helpful, and has a detailed map on which you can enter the precise location of a problem. If anyone  is interested, it is at the grid reference: sp34778 20659, which can be entered on the map.

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Tue 20 Aug 2019, 09:48

Frank and others, please can you report this to the County Council.  The link to do this is

https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/residents/environment-and-planning/countryside/countryside-access/public-rights-way/report-footpath-issue#public

Dangerous animals are obstacles to using public footpaths and owners have a responsbility to make sure that footpaths on their property are passable.  I will let the footpaths officer know but please report this as well.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 22:14

I stay well clear of the cattle around there and especially south of Spelsbury church. 

Miranda Higham
👍 2

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 21:09

I have experienced the same on that route in the dip where Coldron brook is. The fencing is inadequate;  a large cow had got out. I managed to slip by, but then encountered a noisy, lively herd on the last field before I could reach Spelsbury. I then had to wait amongst trees till the way was safe for me to turn back for home. I was walking alone and was scared. I will not attempt that walk again. Maybe that's what the landowner would prefer.

Angus B
👍

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 20:59

Hear hear. I had to turn back a few weeks ago but today, when I approached, I saw them all charging away from me so thankfully it was safe to cross. And when I reached the bottom of Pound Hill there was a gentleman there who asked me if 'd encountered the bullocks on my walk as he had been obliged to turn back recently when he met them.

Frank Payne
👍 1

Mon 19 Aug 2019, 18:56

If you are following the circular walk Pound Hill, Dean Grove, Coldron Mill and back to Charlbury take care in the second field after Coldron Mill. Earlier today we encountered an extremely aggressive herd of bullocks, who basically attacked us stopping any further progress along the footpath in that field. I don't know who is responsible for them, but it's only a matter of time before someone is badly injured or killed.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.