Contact for person renovating the Museum Wagon?

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Sat 19 Apr 2008, 21:23

Thanks, I also was told that he is not unrelated to activities of the Morris Dancing gangs that infest the area ;)

Nobody wants anyone to do their work for them - so he's safe from pressganging to make anything! The people into this are inveterate makers and DIY types. The challenge alone of doing a wooden frame instead of a high energy content steel frame is enough for them, and much more environmental to use timber materials. Just be nice to know what joints the old wainwrights used on wagon frames etc. Every joint I can think of would fall apart under the stress of 800lbs of Edwardian era oil engine thudding away! But I've seen them mounted on wagon frames and in active use for nearly 100 years - so those old boys certainly knew something about sticking lumps of wood together in a way that can take thousands of hours of shaking and vibration as well as being dragged around site to site on rough roads and tracks by horse!

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Fri 18 Apr 2008, 23:10

A couple of hours ago I mentioned this posting to the restorer who would be happy to have you contact him. He is not in a position to take on new work, but he would be willing to offer advice. If you shoot me an email I'll pass on his name and phone number to you: richard@deoldphart.com

Tony Graeme
👍

Fri 18 Apr 2008, 18:56

Malcolm
I dont know the name of the restorer but you could try asking Ron Prew, Museum Curator.
Tony Graeme

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 16 Apr 2008, 17:10

Who is renovating the museum's old wagon? "We" want to consult him about what wainwrighting joints were used on framing such vehicles, and what woods were used for which members. A few old machine enthusiasts are interested in traditional jointed wooden trailers for putting large and heavy oil engines upon and I said I'd ask as someone was renovating our local old wagon!

Much more fun than a boring welded steel trailer frame when you think about it, and much more in keeping with the era of these old static engines.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.