Irresponible second home owners

Liz Reason
👍 4

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 20:26

I'm pleased to say that contact has been made, a conversation has been had, plants are being cut back.  Thank you charlbury.info and the network that passed on my message.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 20:02 (last edited on Tue 13 Aug 2019, 20:08)

For those with an interest in these things… I looked up the legislation and both OCC and WODC are entitled to give notice to the homeowner, requiring them to trim it within 14 days. If the homeowner doesn’t do this, the council “may carry out the work required by the notice and recover the expenses reasonably incurred by them”.

So I suspect Liz, you may have saved someone a hefty bill! Here’s the legislation in question: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1980/66/section/154

Eleanor, that’s good news. Thank you for the update.

Eleanor Draycott
👍 2

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 19:58

The owner seems to be at the property this evening sorting things out. Hope this helps. 

Liz Reason
👍 2

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 19:57

Thanks Richard.  I appreciate your reasoning and do not argue with it.  But it's difficult when people just opt out....

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 19:32

[On reflection, I’ve edited out a few identifying details from posts, so that the broader message and debate can be had, but without being exclusively focused on one property/owner. If there are any specifics about that property then please do use the site messaging system to communicate privately. –Richard]

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍 1

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 18:49 (last edited on Tue 13 Aug 2019, 19:27)

So it sold a few years ago for over £700,000 according to the Land Registry. Zoopla values it today at a little less. Of course Zoopla hasn't viewed the property... Does Zoopla detect falling prices generally in Charlbury?

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 17:04

Liz, if you have the address you could search the Land Registry.  You'd have to pay a few quid and that would only give you the name of the owner - not their contact details.  :-(

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

Allowing vegetation to encroach on and obstruct a pavement may be a criminal offence, the law isn't very clear.  It's certainly not neighbourly and it could injure a child or other pedestrian, or wheelchair user, in which case the matter becomes much more serious.

It may be a long shot but have you thought about contacting the Police on 101?

Liz Reason
👍 3

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 16:17

Mark - if I knew the names of the owners and how to contact them, of course I could have done this privately, but I don't.  The bramble we cut down has all been left in their garden for them - no theft - and for them to remove. 

There is more that needs to be cut which is coming through the railings and obstructing the length of the footpath in front of their house.  I'll end up having to do it, but I really don't see why I should. With home ownership comes responsibility to the wider community.

Mark Sulik
👍 2

Tue 13 Aug 2019, 10:15

This is almost a name and shame situation, where a simple private communication may have been the better option. Any material removed should be returned to the owner - as i believe this is classed as a criminal act ?

Rachael Gibbon
👍 6

Mon 12 Aug 2019, 23:48

Actually, Mark. I think this is a useful debate to be had, at both a local and a national level. And speaking personally, hearing about other people's experiences of the social costs and responsibilities of second-home ownership helps me form a more informed opinion on the matter, so let's not shut down the debate, especially when it is such a civil and measured one!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍 3

Mon 12 Aug 2019, 23:25

[I’m always keeping a watchful eye – but if you do feel something has overstepped the mark then please do it via a private message rather than on the forum itself. –Richard]

Mark Sulik
👍 4

Mon 12 Aug 2019, 21:39

Grease Pit material ?

Hannen Beith
👍 2

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 14:08

Liz, I can understand your frustration.

I thought that new laws were coming into force to oblige second home owners to be responsible?

Or am I just getting muddled up with larger Council Tax bills?  If, indeed that is happening.

I have never understood why anyone would want to own two homes/houses.  There is an excellent Arabic saying:  "A man can only live in one house". 

Liz Reason
👍 8

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 12:18 (last edited on Tue 13 Aug 2019, 19:27)

Why have we had to spend this morning removing a huge blackberry plant obstructing the footpath from the garden of a house that has been left empty for three years, and whose owners live nearby? You know who you are. Feel free to contact me privately.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.