Mobile Phone Signal

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 12 Aug 2019, 10:50

Thanks everyone. Lots of useful information here. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 17:42

Thanks Andrew.

I still have a message at the top of the 'phone which says "Three WiFi Call".

Should I try and delete the app?

"3" have said I can move to 4G here but I get flummoxed trying to do it.

Should I just turn off WiFi?

Thanks,

Hannen.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 15:59

Hannen, the "3" wifi-app used to be extremely useful in the Community Centre, but unfortunately support for, and availability of that app disappeared a few weeks or months ago, I can't remember exactly when, so I'm afraid your comment is no longer of any consequence.

Their signal is low indoors at the top of the top of town, ie Little Lees area, but seems fine outdoors, and is also good for me in most other parts of town, and also out and about generally in UK.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 14:45

Christine I have two phones, one on EE which has a bad signal round fiveways area but is marginally better elsewhere, and the other on giffgaff which is O2 and doesn't work nine acres close or Ditchley rd. They're both PAYG/ no contract because I don't want to pay for something which doesn't work and having had both parents with serious illness they need to be able to contact me when I'm working round Charlbury. If other people have better reception maybe O2 throttles the network for Giffgaff, I don't know. And the last time I asked someone about this kind of thing I was told it's also down to the phone hardware itself, some of which can vary between phones of the same brand. The last point isn't necessarily helpful but you may want to bear it in mind

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 14:39

Christine,

"3" have had a wi-fi app for years and it's excellent.  I use it at home but also wherever I can.  3G or 4G can cost a fortune if you data stream or send photos.

I also use "WhatsApp" so not only are my text messages and photos free, but they are encrypted as well.  Or so they say!

Broadly, I think you're right about "3".  My experience is that in this area coverage is flaky.  Despite what its website says.  At home I get one bar.  But if I use the wi-fi app all is fine.  I've found that when I visit Oxford or Reading or London the 4G signal is very good.

Hannen. 

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 13:52 (last edited on Sun 11 Aug 2019, 13:52)

Thank you Susie and Miles and Stephen,

Good to have the heads up about 0800 numbers. Duly noted!

Miles, it's wifi in the house that concerns me, also getting data. Some visitors with O2 phones or Vodaphone have struggled to get any connection at all. Also not all phones can use WiFi calling, at least on EE -- it depends on where you buy your handset also on what handset it is. Not sure if this is true of the other internet providers.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 13:04 (last edited on Sun 11 Aug 2019, 13:04)

Christine, the charges from numbers to 0800, etc are ridiculous and so is sending a photo on iD mobile.  So I would forget them!

Miles Walkden
👍 1

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 12:26

Presumably everyone has turned on Call over WiFi when you are in your house or on any other wifi network? So the phone signal is not really that important the majority of the time.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 10:35

Hi Christine, In my humble opinion, O2 is the most reliable and strong network signal. I get a good reception inside Lower Watts House in the stream dip in Park St and throughout the rest of the town.

Christine Battersby
👍

Sun 11 Aug 2019, 09:32

Thanks, Hans, Katie & Hannen,

I've already decided which phone I want -- not much choice if you prefer a small screen and prefer android (which I do). Hans, I take your point but don't want to bother with changing fiddly SIM cards as I move between networks. 

What I was trying to find out is how good the mobile signal is round the town, especially in the higher parts of the town, but also in the centre. Often visitors to my home struggle to get a signal on their mobiles & also elsewhere in the town. I would have liked to move to 3/iD mobile, but its coverage map for Charlbury & nearby is very patchy.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 22:33

You might consider Nokia android phones. They're sim free so you can put in a card from any network and it will work - UK and abroad. Hardware wise they're just as good as the top makes bust they cost only 25-50% as much. They run the latest android which gets updated automatically and there is no operator undeletable bloatware. They even look good.

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 16:21

I bought a Huawei phone a couple of months ago, which I know is controversial, but the reception I get anywhere and everywhere is far superior to any other phone I've had irrespective of network. I have never had reception at home indoors and not much outside, but now I get at least 2 bars indoors. I bought a Huawei P20 Pro and I can honestly say it is the best phone I have ever had. The camera is outstanding.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 13:59

We've been with BT for decades and (almost) never had a problem.  That's for our broadband and recently for our TV as well.

I use "3" which is faultless.

My Wife uses EE which is also pretty good.

We both have iPhones.

Coverage does vary however, so sometimes e.g. in Cornwall, Wife can get a signal, but I can't.  Vice versa in other parts of the UK.

Not a problem for me apart from when I'm using my iPhone as a SatNav.  Strangely, there seems to be a "deadspot" (or whatever it's called) around Leafield.

Still, for £11 a month for unlimited calls and texts, I'm not complaining, and don't intend to switch.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Sat 10 Aug 2019, 11:58

I need a new phone (android) and am looking at options. I am currently on ee, but am wondering about changing. How do people find 02, vodaphone and iD Mobile (Three)?

I live on the Ditchley Road, but I would like to know how the various networks function in the other parts of the town & surrounding area. I also definitely want WiFi calling. Thanks!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.