Preparations for Wilderness

Miranda Higham
👍

Wed 31 Jul 2019, 16:40

Was it the 1969 IOW Festival you were reminiscing about? If so, I saw this advertised today.

''ISLE OF WIGHT 1969: ALL WIGHT NOW ANNOUNCES MILLION DOLLAR BASH - A FULL-DAY 50TH ANNIVERSARY FESTIVAL…

https://www.allwightnow.com/?fbclid=IwAR11JnJgeJ61rf3YYvMX-QuCxBiAnezsKblRL_Kkllk0KD1a3Ukbi1ZSHUE

Rod Evans
👍 1

Mon 29 Jul 2019, 22:13

So many ageing hippies on this post!!  You must remember me guys, I was the one in red  loons & tiedye Tshirt....

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 29 Jul 2019, 13:25

Stephen.

Yes!  It was a pink kaftan.

I can't remember seeing you there though.  Mind you there were at least 600,000 of us.  We made it into the Guinness Book of Records:

"Although estimates vary, the Guinness World Records estimated 600,000, possibly 700,000 people attended".  [Wikipedia]

Stephen Andrews
👍 1

Sun 28 Jul 2019, 14:17 (last edited on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 16:02)

Jean, ER was a wonderful American medical drama television series, is Elizabeth Regina, but more probably in the context of this post, a slight mangle of Extinction Rebellion, more properly known as XR. 

BTW Hanneth, I was also at IoW 1970 - you could have also added Free, Leonard Cohen amongst others. Were you the bloke in the Kaftan? I was wearing (and slept in the open) a RAF Greatcoat. Happy days..

Jean Adams
👍 1

Sun 28 Jul 2019, 09:58 (last edited on Sun 28 Jul 2019, 10:00)

What's ER? and what has it got to do with Wilderness? The best fun filled four days you can experience locally.

Suzy M-H
👍 2

Sat 27 Jul 2019, 21:32

Or perhaps ER are looking at the bigger picture? Personally I’m thankful someone is.  Check out this link if you’re interested to know more - it gets you thinking ...

https://blog.usejournal.com/the-real-problem-of-hypocrisy-for-extinction-rebellion-4a6851dcdeb7

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Fri 26 Jul 2019, 11:32

ER don't really care about the environmental impact of festivals as they're running a workshop there on non violent direct action. Rather cynically I suspect they need funds and are prepared to forgo their principles for money/publicity.

Miranda Higham
👍 3

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 21:28 (last edited on Mon 5 Aug 2019, 08:36)

Rod Evans
👍 1

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 21:17 (last edited on Thu 25 Jul 2019, 21:18)

Oh dear.

One of the problems I feel with a Forum like this is the 'Chinese Whispers' syndrome where the conversation strays wildly from the original post.  Have been guilty of it myself on this occasion - but am not alone - in thinking of wider issues involving festivals than just the immediate 'preparations for Wilderness'.  Not sure exactly where you live Hannen but for what it's worth, you have my sympathy! 

And the other problem - if related - is the scope for misunderstanding where there's no verbal dialogue.  The combination I suspect puts a lot of people off contributing, myself included.  I'm not sure how we got into talking about ER Harriet nor do I know what you've said before or where but we're not going to resolve your issue with it on this Forum.  Though would certainly be up for a proper discussion beyond my flippant comment...

For now though, will restrict myself on here to functional Charlbury issues!

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 19:35

I wasn't referring to wilderness, I was referring to ER, so this is O/T now. How many of them are in minimum wage jobs or ethnic minorities?  As I've said before sustainability should be for everyone, but ER run the risk of alienating a good proportion of the population because they don't represent them. Forcing your views on people doesn't generally make them appreciate them, and if you earn enough money to sit in the centre of London causing trouble for a week you're hardly going to be appreciated by someone who has to do two low paid jobs just to pay the rent, especially if your actions cause their money to go less far because sustainability hasn't been considered from the POV of the lowest denominator. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 18:54

Rod,

It takes place in Cornbury Park so I think it is Charlbury specific.

Also, if you lived where I live you would see the hundreds of articulated lorries going back and forth each day for over two weeks.

I recall that we reminisced before about the IoW Festival.  Cost me the grand sum of 2 shillings and sixpence.  "Free" entry, thanks to the French anarchists you mention (I didn't know that was why there were gaps in the fence)!  Free (macrobiotic) food, and one just slept out in the open.  Plenty of free drinking water, and it was a non-drinking culture then so no problems with alcohol.

Fantastic line up - Jimi Hendrix, Joni Mitchell, and to round it all off The Who.

Sanitation awful, sound a bit weird at times.  I got there and back from my bedsitter in Notting Hill Gate (in those days not a des res place), by hitch-hiking.  Inadvisable these days.

Rod Evans
👍 1

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 18:37

Hhmm - not exactly Charlbury specific but an interesting debate.  Prompted by Huw's post I had more of a look at that link - which does indeed seem to be more about getting festival-goers to contribute financially than Wilderness itself.  "Partnering" is easy enough if all it involves is allowing the charity to set up a stall or getting stewards to work unpaid - if with free ticket - so long as they "represent" Oxfam.

BUT!  Even small community festivals involve some financial risk and can only work because of the volunteers who staff them.  Am old enough to remember the naivete of the French anarchists who tore down the fencing on the IoW in 1970 (ticket price £3) on the basis that music should be free - even St Michael of Glasto has to balance the books!  It's a risky business and I see no objection to profit being made - but it would be good to see greater and genuine community engagement - and lower on-site prices.

I'll still go though, its diversity is so engaging. Sorry Harriet but yes, I'm middle class, white, retired, have a pension and am even thinking of taking up yoga - and getting a bit bored of that being seen as a crime, it's just where I am in the queue.  Hang on, maybe I could block a road or two with Extinction Rebellion now it doesn't matter if I get arrested!

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 18:06 (last edited on Thu 25 Jul 2019, 18:07)

I agree Huw.

I haven't looked at all the Charities mentioned but the few I have (including our own Thomas Gifford Trust, and Oxfam) simply suggest that when you buy a ticket you voluntarily make a donation to a "Partner" Charity.  Such donation to be in addition to the cost of the ticket, not part of it.

I can make up my own mind as to which Charity I give to.  I don't need anyone to advise me to.

It seems to me like a PR stunt of the worst kind, implying that they give to charities when their Audited Accounts show that they don't.

Anyway, imo every person and business should be free to decide whether they give to Charity or not.

I don't expect Wilderness or its US backers to give to Charity.  They are out to make a profit and I hope they do.  At least they pay their taxes which benefits us all.  Or could do.

I just wish they wouldn't pretend that they are philanthropists when they are not. 

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍 1

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 16:23

Natasha,

Wilderness may well contribute to charitable causes, but the ultimate parent company seems not to be declared in their annual accounts. The focus of the link you appended is asking ticket purchasers to contribute to their partner charities.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 16:19

Tash,

I don't understand what you are trying to articulate by posting this link.

Please enlighten me.

Hannen.

Natasha Ely
👍 2

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 13:19

https://www.wildernessfestival.com/info/category/our-charity-partners/

Harriet Baldwin
👍 2

Thu 25 Jul 2019, 05:53

Rod I suspect most festivals are like that - spending money and nothing to show for it. I'd guess allowing for inflation and drinking more alcohol than I did that it's the same as Glastonbury when I went in the 1990s. 

As a side note the comment about extinction rebellion is making environmentalism sound like puritanism. No large gatherings of people enjoying themselves, unless you're white, middle class (maybe  retired with a good pension) and want to block roads while you do yoga?

Rod Evans
👍 3

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 21:32

Hannen, interesting research on the company.

I have a love/hate relationship with it.  On the one hand, where else could you go from a political debate with heavyweights such as Vince Cable (though please please not that Cameron person) to a 60 piece orchestra playing Beethoven's 5th to some serious blues to a great meal, to Shakespeare in the woods or eg the wonderful Grace Jones - not to mention the only cricket match where they score the no of streakers along with runs (think we know who should be feeling very sheepish today!) and wickets - etc etc.

On the other, it is insanely expensive - and for "we want this to be an immersive experience" read "we want you to stay here and spend all your money on site" - not least as they charge stallholders & food outlets very large sums just to be there.  An abiding memory is of passing a couple of 20ish year olds with him saying to her "I've spent 200 quid and absolutely nothing to show for it".  Comes as no surprise they make no charitable donations...

But hey, Boris is in No 10 and all's right with the world haha! (Richard, you can delete that bit!)

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 16:55 (last edited on Wed 24 Jul 2019, 16:56)

Hi Rod,

Lol!

Thanks, yes I went once, about 3 years ago.  Not impressed, and am still paying off the second mortgage!

A Companies House search reveals that the net profit is over a £1m, for a few "Directors"!.  The company that runs it is a subsidiary of an international company based in the USA.

To be fair, the activity does provide a lot of jobs and income, a fraction of which comes Charlbury's way.

Also interesting to note that not a single penny is given to any charity.  According to the official accounts.  Completely at odds with our Charlbury Festivals which are manned (and wommanned) by volunteers and where all profits go to charities, both here and abroad.

Still, what would I know, and it's unseemly to judge?

Rod Evans
👍 2

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 14:48

Signs were up around midday today but directing production traffic via the other end of Grammar School Hill to the main entrance.  The Witney Road entrance would surely be much better in traffic terms - but presumably not so convenient within the site. 

Hannen - if you've been, you'd surely understand why so many portaloos needed!

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 1

Wed 24 Jul 2019, 13:59 (last edited on Wed 24 Jul 2019, 14:06)

Have they put signs up to say no festival build traffic down through town centre yet ? as lots of big lorries coming through.

Alan Cobb
👍

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 19:18

Well, Hannen, all the cars stuck for ages on Dyers Hill with their engines running on Sunday, trying to get past the parked cars of the festival goers obstructing the road can't have done the environment much good.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 17:49

Very interesting post Al,

I wonder what environmental impact our "home spun" festivals have?  E.g. the Beer Festival, Riverside, and Street Fair?  Not much, I suspect, and hope!

Hannen.

Al Parnham
👍 1

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 17:13

Hannan raises some interesting questions here, not least about the environmental impact of music festivals. Some fairly disturbing factual information here.

http://www.powerful-thinking.org.uk/resources/the-show-must-go-on-report/

Is it possible that Extinction Rebellion or other climate change groups might come to see music festivals as matters for concern?

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 22 Jul 2019, 14:52

The articulated lorries are on the move once more.

Backwards and forwards in front of my house.  This will continue for weeks.

I don't mind at all, in fact I marvel at the skill of the drivers negotiating the bends, especially when they come face to face with the S3.  They then have to reverse and this year have only seen one car behind one had its bonnet crushed.  Fortunately no personal injury.

I'm always amazed at the number of portaloos delivered, and collected.  I haven't counted them, I'm not that OCD, but wonder if they need so many because of the number attending, or the quality of the food? ;-) 

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.