Cycle Lanes Coming to Charlbury

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 14 Apr 2008, 14:04

I wonder how much hydroelectric power the head on damming up Wigwell to make a resevoir/lake would provide to contribute to making the town more sustainable in terms of its electricity needs?

Anyone with a good electronic map that could show the spread of the water surface and what sort of head altitude it would provide, coupled with the rate of flow of the springs into the stream?

Perhaps the gardens of 9 Acres Close could be our "Town Sacrifice Zone", to borrow a term the US government uses.

Meanwhile it is ALWAYS windy on the field between Clarkes Bottom and Ditchley Rd, and enough room to have a line of at least half a dozen big multi-kilowatt windmills. Nice substantial money earner for the town - see Danish town cooperative examples and Westmill Cooperative which is officially opening 3rd May down near Faringdon.

Some sort of local topographic effect of the Evenlode Valley here, where it takes a bend to the south and narrows, channelling airflow over the ridge most of the time and at an accelerated speed.

Meanwhile, if Fergus was to dam up the bit of stream at the bottom of the Bell Hotel's old grazing field he might yield enough juice to power the pub and provide a small paddle boat recreational facility for the town's kids, putting Charlbury on the map for tourism a bit more.

Hmmm. I'm not sure how much I am in jest for those ideas...

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 2 Apr 2008, 09:51

Sounds good - a bit less lawnmowing for me to do...

john h
👍

Tue 1 Apr 2008, 22:51

Does it really matter, I had heard a rumour that the valley at Wigwell was going to be flooded to improve the local water supply in times of drought, and improve leisure facilities in Charlbury, in the form of a sailing club.Unfortunately most of the houses in nine acres close will loose their gardens to facilitate the Club House.
just what this Town needs!!

Derek Collett
👍

Tue 1 Apr 2008, 16:19

Very funny Igor! April Fools' Day is supposed to end at midday though!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 1 Apr 2008, 16:03

I just got off the phone with the County Traffic Planner who just informed me that they've just been granted permission by Charlbury Town Council to install 7 and half miles of painted cycle paths in and around Charlbury including a cycle route from the train station to the town centre, up Dancers Lane and along The Slade.

Work starts in May and will require town centre roads to be cleared of parked vehicles for the months of May and June while the lanes are being painted.

This is great news for Charlbury. Apparently, some of the cost is going to offset by the introduction of new parking charges for residents who park more than one vehicle on public roads.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.