Freddie Jones RIP

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍 1

Fri 12 Jul 2019, 23:14

Very sad about Freddie.  Many Charlbury residents may remember him performing at the Charlbury Festival two years ago in the garden of Spring Cottage.  He gave, together with Jennie,  a stirring rendition of some favourite poems and scripts, all washed down with the necessary whisky, and continued on, with the audience's enthusiasm, to perform well after his scheduled time. A complete charmer, and we will all miss him.  Our thoughts are with his family.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Fri 12 Jul 2019, 08:03

Today's Guardian Obit quoted him as saying that "My life springs from my wife, my family and my whisky". He and Jenny hosted a large Charlbury reception in Crinan House many years ago, where Freddie had secreted small glasses of whisky in strategic, hidden locations throughout the house. He memorably asked me to 'keep cavey' for him. Great, friendly character.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 22:02

Thanks Tim for downloading the obituary. It's very sad to think of Freddie being no more, he really should have lived forever. I am sad for his lovely family.

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 14:26

Thank you, Tim, for downloading the obituary.

Mandy cooper
👍 1

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 12:53

When Iworked in the bull Freddie would come in always called me Amanda he would say Amanda would you like a drink as i was working i would say i'll have a coke please to this he would say thats not a drink ill put one behind for whne you finsh. lovely bloke. 

RIP 

Nick Millea
👍 1

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 12:02

Soon after first moving to Charlbury, we were in The Bell one lunchtime, and in came Freddie. He hurled his hat across the room towards a hatstand and missed. "That's why I'll never play Bond", he bellowed. Unforgettable!

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍 2

Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:41 (last edited on Thu 11 Jul 2019, 11:43)

In today's Telegraph was this very interesting obituary for Freddie 

Freddie Jones, who has died aged 91, left a job as an industrial chemist in his thirties and established himself with a minimum of fuss and publicity as one of Britain’s most respected actors

He created the part of the…

Long post - click to read full text

Catherine Kimmance
👍

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 20:11

What a lovely man, and as has been said, a real gentleman with a friendly smile for everyone.  Great anecdotes, great fun and great talent. Condolences to his lovely wife and family. 

Deborah Longshaw
👍 1

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 18:55

Loved Freddie, always had a friendly smile or wave. 

An amazing man & actor (to still be working in his 90’s) has passed his legacy onto to his sons. 

You will be missed.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍 1

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 18:47

Lovely man, great actor and wonderful character.  He will be sorely missed.  RIP Freddie x

Charlie M
👍 1

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 18:33 (last edited on Thu 11 Jul 2019, 12:37)

An absolute Gent. 
Also a star in one of my favourite films of all time - "Far from the Madding Crowd".

RIP Sir.

Alex Flynn
👍 1

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 16:27

Lovely bloke Freddie and a great loss to both the acting profession and the human race. Such a nice family too. 

As a family friend I am still finding it hard to take in but at 91 he had a damn good innings. 

R.I.P.

Paul Taylor
👍 2

Wed 10 Jul 2019, 14:37

Sad to hear the loss of Freddie Jones. He was one of the first people to welcome us into the town. Some of the lads were having a few bears around town we were in to Bull  and going to play darts in Ye olde three Horseshoes Freddie asked if he could come what a funny Man great night

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.