May 1st-Blandford flies reminder

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sun 5 May 2019, 15:15

Thanks, posters, for your contributions!

Wendy Bailey
👍

Sat 4 May 2019, 18:12

Can I add, I have not been near water on any of the three occasions I have been bitten.  And once on my collar bone.  These pesky blighters get everywhere! They hadn't read to bite below the knee.  

Helen Chapman
👍

Sat 4 May 2019, 10:21

Thanks Katie - very informative.

Katie Ewer
👍 2

Fri 3 May 2019, 22:42

Helen, it can be to do with exactly where you get bitten. If the bite is near a blood vessel then the toxin will spread further and cause more inflammation, if not, then the reaction will be more localised. It can also reflect where the flies are from. If they've come from a field where animals are grazing, they may transfer germs from animal faeces into a bite, which increases the risk of infection. Or, as you say, it might just be a different fly.

Helen Chapman
👍

Fri 3 May 2019, 14:48

I am wondering if it is possible to become more resistant to the flies over time. I was bitten several times last year, and I definitely noticed that the swelling and redness was worst the first time. This year I have a bite which could be a Blandford fly bite - it is certainly very very itchy and locally swollen, but I don't have any redness or swelling on my ankle and leg around it. Of course it might not be a Blandford bite and this might be wishful thinking!

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Fri 3 May 2019, 13:31

We've been bitten mostly in a field near the river, but I know people get bitten in  gardens without water features too. My son is a magnet for biting insects, so I now also use Avon's Skin So Soft on him. It is very effective and better than a regular dousing in DEET, which can irritate skin if left on for long periods or used repeatedly.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 2 May 2019, 13:10

I had the misfortune to be bitten years ago, whilst in Blandford (!) and it was not funny!

My question to those who are reporting bites is, where were you when you were bitten? Were you by a river or garden water features, by any chance?

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Thu 2 May 2019, 09:01

Yes, thanks Katie.

For those looking for an alternative to Deet,  the dry oil body spray from Avon's Skin So Soft range is what is used by the Army & also by the Royal Marines based in Scotland as a protection against midges. And, no, I don't sell it. I bought my bottle online. 

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 1 May 2019, 20:08

Thank you Katie.

I have been bitten several years in a row by these and it really is very unpleasant.  This is good advice.  Following Jon Carpenter's advice I now spray Deet over my legs/ankles.  We shall see!

For us "grown ups" the ability to avoid scratching is easier, but for children...

Potentially very dangerous.

Wendy Bailey
👍

Wed 1 May 2019, 20:04

Thanks for the warning Katie. 

Katie Ewer
👍 1

Wed 1 May 2019, 10:47

The Blandford flies are already out and about- a friend of mine was bitten twice yesterday. Some good advice and info here:

https://www.deddingtonsurgery.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2018/05/New-ajc-Blandford-Fly-Bite-Advice-Sheet.pdf

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.