Illegal parking

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Sat 4 May 2019, 18:33

Referring to your point about the Hixet Wood development, Helen, how can WODC think for a moment that infilling behind the police houses with EIGHT houses could possibly be a good idea? Eight houses.... say, another 8-12 cars or more to be squeezd into the tiny area and absorbed into central Charlbury. There is a growing band of ungaraged cars that have to cruise round the centre of Charlbury every day, looking for a temporary spot for the night's parking. We have all seen them, I'm not exaggerating this. Once the eight households are settled and receiving visitors, where will their visitors park? Will someone tell me because I'm da***d if I know. Does anyone in the plannng department ever ponder this? I wasn't even going to mention the Victorian sewage system, but while I'm here...

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍 1

Fri 3 May 2019, 12:06

Hannen, they don't get down!  There have been occasions when an ambulance was unable to pass, and another when a fire engine could not get down Sheep St.  Never mind the huge lorries that get stuck and have to reverse.  Helen

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 1 May 2019, 20:03

Helen, I agree completely.

On 10 April I posted inter alia "Driving down Sheep Street is not for the faint hearted, unless you enjoy chicanes."

How emergency vehicles could get down there is a mystery to me.  Similarly Park Street.  See my post about getting stuck in the S3 bus for 10 minutes.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 1 May 2019, 19:05

Helen, you are so right about this total lack of forward planning. I personally have little or no faith in the West Oxfordshire District Council when it comes to housebuilding in this area, particularly within Charlbury itself.

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍 1

Wed 1 May 2019, 18:30

In all this discussion on parking and yellow lines, there has been hardly a mention of Sheep Street or Hixet Wood.  I have been writing to Liz, to the Town Council, to WODC and Highways for nigh on three years now about repainting the double yellow lines, and placing a sign at the beginning of the street to restrict lorries and resurfacing.  I understand from the Town Council that Sheep Street is scheduled for re-surfacing this year - but when?   It was also promised for last year. So I have little faith in these predictions - unless Liz can supply new information.   Meanwhile 8 houses are scheduled to be built behind the Police Houses in Hixet Wood with many of them designed with Tandem Parking which, guess what,  inevitably means there will be more cars parked on the already overcrowded Sheep Street and Hixet Wood.  You couldn't make it up!

Helen Bessemer-Clark

Mark Sulik
👍

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 22:43

At £1.00 per day x 187 spaces - I think that would stop the problem -or, just make it free ? 

Who actually owns the land ? Community asset comes to mind here - or maybe a private land owner would like to provide competition - Cricket  club would make a fortune - re invest it and provide a state of the art sports facility? - or provide much needed funding to up keep another community asset - 9 acres where the sports pitches are of such a poor standard- a lot of our local teams have to travel and play at Enstone - just a random thought ! 

William Crossley
👍 4

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 17:27

RE Peter Kenrick's observation about charging in Cotswold Line station car parks, it was introduced by Thames Trains in 2003 in their last year running most of the services on the Cotswold Line. While it was supposedly done to fund lighting and CCTV, at Moreton-in-Marsh we are still waiting.

As for the current level of car parking charges, GWR still has some of the lowest around among train operators and an annual car park season ticket at Charlbury costs £730, not £1,000. The £2 a day fee at Oxford Parkway is thanks to the charge set by the county council at the adjacent bus-park-and-ride car park, not Chiltern Railways' generosity. The going rate to park for a day before 10am at Chiltern's stations in the rest of Oxfordshire and elsewhere is £8.50 to £9. Virgin Trains' charges start at about £10 per day.

GWR is also trying to find a workable and affordable way to create more car parking at Charlbury (and most other Cotswold Line stations) but even if GWR told APCOA to cut the charge to £1 a day, some drivers would still try to avoid paying it by parking wherever there are unrestricted spots in nearby roads. Human nature, I'm afraid.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 14:09

Rachael, I agree.

Last week I, and several others, were stuck in an S3 on Park Street for about 10 minutes.  The driver couldn't move the bus because a black 4x4 had parked about 3 or 4 inches away from the kerb, and hadn't bothered, or thought about, folding in the wing mirrors - the offside one of which was just 2 or 3 cms away from the bus.  No, not a "local" to my knowledge.

The bus driver, who remained calm and polite throughout, explained that she couldn't risk moving because if she did, and damage was caused, she might lose her job.  

Fortunately a motorcyclist was coming up from the bottom of the rise.  He couldn't get past because there was a double decker bus in his way.  He agreed to push the wing mirror in, so that, very carefully and with admirable skill, the driver edged forwards and we all continued on our journey.

I take my hat off to the (female) driver for remaining calm in such a situation, and my fellow passengers.

I have a car but try to use the S3 and other buses as much as possible for environmental reasons.  It takes longer to get from A to B, but I feel as though I'm doing my bit for the planet, so it's not a big sacrifice in the grand scheme of things.

The S3 is a great service.  Let's not lose it because some thoughtless people don't park properly.

As this was clearly an "obstruction" (which would have prevented access by emergency vehicles) I regret that I didn't take a photo of the reg and pass it on to the Police.

Anyway, Liz has informed us of the Public Consultation, which is Good News.  I don't have any easy answers.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 11:01 (last edited on Sun 28 Apr 2019, 11:07)

Hans, having lived in Market Street for 10 odd years and now on Dyers Hill for a further 17  years - it has happened as soon as charging at the station came in. I can’t recall the dates the charges started - but the congestion on Dyers Hill became unworkable- especially with the HGV vehicles using the same route ( and constantly ignoring the weight limit ) - so any of  candidates taking part of the forthcoming election- and works towards what has been an ongoing problem - ignored by many - may catch a few extra votes ?

Stephen- I think one simple question needs to be clarified- especially when the Town Council have been debating and discussing with GWR - if there enough parking , or not .if demand increases what would be the projected requirements ? Cricket Club Carparking - nice bit of income ?! 

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 09:22

I think cost of parking at the station may be an issue. It amounts to close to £ 1,000 per year... It should be relatively easy to find out if train users park in town. By watching what happens on a couple of weekdays from about 6.30am to 8.30am. 

stephen cavell
👍

Sun 28 Apr 2019, 07:47

Is cost of parking the only issue? The few times I go to the station the station park is pretty full. Arriving at the station in time to catch your train and finding it full means that you risk missing your train. That is why for me Oxford Parkway is the station to use - guaranteed parking. 

Rachael Lunney
👍 2

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 17:33

This morning, the 11am bus back from Witney had to get on the pavement on Browns Lane to get pass a parked car, there was a football game on today ,  bus are getting stuck in charlbury,

Also buses and Lorry are getting stuck on the t junction between Thames Street and nineacres lane,

Please Council and Liz Leafman do something about parking in charlbury, 

Peter Kenrick
👍

Sat 27 Apr 2019, 10:10 (last edited on Sat 27 Apr 2019, 13:28)

Mark: I'm not sure of the exact date or amount - it was back in the '80s or '90s I believe, almost certainly before rail privatisation.  However, what I DO recall is that charging was first introduced for a very specific purpose namely, to fund the use of surveillance cameras as a result of public concern over a spate of theft and vandalism in the station car park.

Mark Sulik
👍 1

Fri 26 Apr 2019, 20:41

Hans, a very simple and concise comment- The problems of parking  were noticed once charges were applied at the station car part. A simple solution . Can anyone recall the date charges were applied - and how much they were ... then , and now ? 

Hans Eriksson
👍 2

Fri 26 Apr 2019, 15:10

Make parking free for train users. Job done.

Angus B
👍 2

Fri 26 Apr 2019, 14:29 (last edited on Fri 26 Apr 2019, 15:57)

"Out of order"?

When we bought our house in Sheep Street in 2003 there was nearly always a space to park very close to the house. Now it is unusual to find a space. Whether the spaces are taken by other residents or commuters is irrelevant: everyone who pays his road tax is entitled to park outside my house. Residents of Charlbury have a good (when trains run to time) rail service so it is not surprising that people drive from outside the town to use the station. And who wouldn't go for a free parking slot on the street every day rather than pay the high price for parking at the station? I know I would!

Al Parnham
👍 3

Thu 25 Apr 2019, 09:08

Mr. Cook.

When you state "You may consider parking on nine acres causes and obstruction but it is not illegal." I'm afraid you are wrong, as I pointed out in my earlier post. The offence of obstruction, which emphatically is being committed here, is entirely separate from offences connected with parking on yellow lines, is a matter for the police, and is a serious offence. The absence of yellow lines does not confer a right to park, especially where an obstruction will be caused. As with so many problems, this one is easily solved - it just needs the community, or its leaders and representatives, to insist on enforcement. 

David Cook
👍 1

Wed 24 Apr 2019, 17:11

Philip I did not mention anything about the right to park, I made the point that residents in Thames street who do not have off street parkimng are being inconvenienced by rail commuter parking. A permit scheme would assist. You may consider parking on nine acres causes and obstruction but it is not illegal. Angus your comments are out of order,  I have owned a house in Thames street for 32years, parking was not an issue in 1987.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 18 Apr 2019, 21:44

Yes Leah, you're absolutely right, the pavement is very awkward and a bit too narrow to walk on, and it does tempt you to walk on the road to save tripping over yourself! 

Leah Fowler
👍 1

Thu 18 Apr 2019, 13:56 (last edited on Thu 18 Apr 2019, 13:57)

The pavement slopes considerably there which makes it very difficult to walk 

Liz Puttick
👍 1

Thu 18 Apr 2019, 12:25

Another problem to compound the danger of parking on the bend in Park St/Grammar School Hill is that pedestrians quite often walk on the road instead of the pavement - sometimes unnecessarily but sometimes you have to with people coming the other way. So pending yellow lines, please people keep to the pavement where possible and please cars don't speed!

Christine Battersby
👍 2

Thu 18 Apr 2019, 10:43

I'm not sure how much of the current parking problems can be put down to parking for Charlbury station. I don't use the station so much now that Oxford Parkway is open, but when I do I always now find plenty of parking. Increased parking at Hanborough (with more to come) has also helped. 

When Chipping Norton expands so dramatically in the next few years, the problem for parking near the station might get worse again. Chippy has lost its bus link with Kingham station, but on the other hand has good buses to Oxford Parkway (unlike Charlbury). 

It's certainly true, however, that building new houses without adequate garaging & parking space is one of the main culprits, & that the parking in Thames Street & 9 Acres Lane is very dangerous. Also, the age profile of Charlbury has changed, so fewer people walk to the Coop for their shopping trips. Parking there for the Community Centre also puts pressure of those spaces.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Thu 18 Apr 2019, 08:32 (last edited on Fri 19 Apr 2019, 14:35)

Charlbury itself, in a way, has asked for all these parking problems, by not recognising the completely obvious some years ago. Simply put, Charlbury worked as a small town. Charlbury, as a satellite town (which I have argued before, against lots of disagreement), doesn't work so well. It's not only here but in most small towns anywhere near a railhead. It's now nearly impossible to manage the numbers, there simply aren't enough parking spaces. Even the Co-op c/p is overflowing most of the time. New houses do have their own parking of course, but commonly the new garage that comes with the house is turned into a useful spare room or storage area, so then there is another car (or two+) living on the road. There are no rights to park on the roadside, it's just an assumption.

Angus B
👍 1

Wed 17 Apr 2019, 20:28

I would've thought that an assured off-road parking slot was essential before deciding to buy a house in a town centre. 

Philip Ambrose
👍 3

Wed 17 Apr 2019, 18:21

Sorry Mr Cook, but Alan Cobb is absolutely correct in identifying parking on that junction as a major problem. Just because one lives somewhere without off-street parking does not give one the right to park illegally or cause an obstruction. 

David Cook
👍

Wed 17 Apr 2019, 18:02

Thanks Rosemary

I would also add the speed that some vehicles travel down Thames Street is excessive, yellow lines may see vehicles travel at greater speed in the absence of parked cars.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 17 Apr 2019, 15:54

Fair point, David.

David Cook
👍 1

Wed 17 Apr 2019, 15:37

Liz

we do not need yellow lines in Thames Street, some of the residents in Thames STreet do not have off street parking. What we need is parking permits for residence only to stop rail commuters using Thames Street as free parking alternative to station parking.

Residents are forced to park in NIne Acres because of commuter parking in Thames Street.

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Tue 16 Apr 2019, 12:42

Therre are lots of places around the town where parking could be improved and this will all be part of the consultation.

Alan Cobb
👍 1

Tue 16 Apr 2019, 08:43 (last edited on Tue 16 Apr 2019, 08:44)

Liz.

Surely the yellow lines also need to be on Thames St opposite the junction with  Nine Acres.  Part of the problem with turning in and out of the junction is the cars parked on Thames St restricting the turning area.

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Tue 16 Apr 2019, 07:44

Liz highlights a resource issue as regards enforcement.

If speeding can have a community led scheme, why not illegal parking? 

It's much easier to gather photographic evidence of a static vehicle!

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Mon 15 Apr 2019, 22:41 (last edited on Mon 15 Apr 2019, 23:01)

Yes, Al, that is exactly why we need to extend the double yellow lines further up the road,  so people don't park too near the junction and cause the obstructions you describe.  Unfortunately, relying on the police to stop people parking there will not happen, with just one PCSO covering the north of West Oxfordshire, and no police station nearer than Witney.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Mon 15 Apr 2019, 18:14

Thanks Liz.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 15 Apr 2019, 17:52

Hugh.  I agree.

Al Parnham
👍

Mon 15 Apr 2019, 12:43

"WODC are responsible for enforcement and there is a parking attendant who visits Charlbury who will hopefully be giving anyone who parks on a double yellow line on Nine Acres a ticket."

I'm afraid, Ms. Leffman, that your comment here completely misses the point. It would take a complete halfwit to park on the yellow lines at the junction of Nine Acres with the Chippy road, so I don't think that your parking attendant is going to have much success there.  Ten minutes of direct observation on your part would show you that when a vehicle is parked just after the yellow lines finish,three obstructions to traffic are created, all of them dangerous.

1. Traffic coming from Chippy and turning left is unexpectedly confronted by a parked vehicle in its path, necessitating either a quick stop or a swerve into  the other lane.

2.Traffic coming from the Burford side may similarly find its access impeded by the parked  vehicle and,possibly, by oncoming traffic.

3.Traffic trying to leave  Nine Acres may find oncoming vehicles unexpectedly in its path.

It would be much better to report obstructive parking to the police, as offences of unnecessary and wilful obstruction. The police  could use their  discretion as to whether to proceed to issue fixed penalty notices for Wilful Obstruction of the Highway,Section 137 Highways Act 1980, or Unnecessary Obstruction,Section 42 Road Traffic Act1988, or to be more severe and prosecute for Leaving a vehicle in a dangerous position, Section 22 Road Traffic Act 1988.

I think that such action could apply to any vehicle left anywhere on the garage side of the road in such a position as to reduce the carriageway to single width.

Someone would have to report the offence to the police,though.

Hugh Belshaw
👍

Mon 15 Apr 2019, 11:02

I know this will not be popular but is not the sensible solution to create an off-road car park on that nice green space outside the Old Grammar School. We currently lack spacs to keep all these cars that we find so necessary to our every-day activities.

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Sun 14 Apr 2019, 18:36

Before anything is done, there will be a consultation which will include these and other places in the town, Rosemary.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 14 Apr 2019, 13:35

Thanks Liz.

Your comments are appreciated.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sun 14 Apr 2019, 12:34

That is good to hear and thanks, Liz. Does your statement infer that plans have already been made for Nine Acres Lane? Can Grammar School Hill be added to the list, please?

Liz Leffman
👍 1

Sun 14 Apr 2019, 10:26

You are absolutely right, Rosemary - we have suffered from a lack of long term planning, living hand to mouth from year to year.  But this year we have moved to a 10 year rolling budget!  Hurrah!  At last we may be able to make plans for long term road maintenance.  And my group will be keeping a careful eye on how this is managed.

Hannen, WODC are responsible for enforcement and there is a parking attendant who visits Charlbury who will hopefully be giving anyone who parks on a double yellow line on Nine Acres a ticket.

Hannen Beith
👍 1

Sat 13 Apr 2019, 20:03

I support you Liz, but without the enforcement will it be effective?

I regularly see cars parked on double yellows, and in the disabled space outside the Co-op (without a blue badge).  I do think it's a waste of resources to paint more double yellows if people park there with impunity.

I appreciate that the enforcement issue is part and parcel of the budgetary restrictions.  No, I don't have an answer, but wonder why time and effort and money will be wasted on a policy which (because it is not "complete") is doomed to failure.

In my opinion, the failure (if one has to call it that) lies with the Planners who allow development but ignore the implications on the infrastructure.  Fair enough, it's not their brief.  Shopped in Chippy today again where I can park and shop without hassle, or the danger of blocked sightlines on so many junctions.

So now I am shopping in Chippy, (occasionally) and using Oxford Parkway for rail travel (always).

Rosemary Bennett
👍 1

Sat 13 Apr 2019, 16:29

Thanks Liz. I can fully understand that there have been many cuts to budgets resulting in fewer staff dealing with outstanding problems such as the state of the roads, and so. What I can not understand is the long-term planning. There never seems to be any. Ever since Tony Blair appointed John Prescott to his Deputy, I have been waiting for a long-term plan to emerge. Prescott made a big song and dance about his intention of integrating public transport systems, and he appeared quite determined. Nothing ever came of it.

I know this is a long way off the original topic, but had we ever achieved a fully integrated public transport system, the question wouldn 't have been necessary in the first place. 

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Sat 13 Apr 2019, 09:12 (last edited on Sat 13 Apr 2019, 09:17)

Getting the yellow lines sorted on Nine Acres Lane is a priority and I am working on it with the Town Council and OCC. But the shortage of money for roads has been a major problem everywhere.  It isn't just the cost of the work, it's the fact that OCC has cut the number of officers to do this work over the past years and is very short staffed in Highways.  Now thank goodness after much lobbying by me and my colleagues they have realised that we need the money and an extra £30 million has been put into this year's budget which means that work like this should be done fairly soon. The trouble it though that everyone across the county has similar issues with roads so we have to join the queue.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 2

Sat 13 Apr 2019, 07:59

These issues around casual parking anywhere and everywhere in Charlbury have been gradually building up for years. The town has expanded massively over the period that I have lived here, but nothing has changed for car owners except that the station car park necessarily gets larger and larger. There are never years of hold-ups at the planning level to introduce more houses being built in and around the town, like everyhere else, but I do wonder what those busy town planners think about the problem of numerous vehicles being introduced into the area, and the prospect of this continuing ad infinitum. Are we just very bad at planning in the longer term for things that we know are inevitable, or what?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 12 Apr 2019, 17:41

Al, plenty of requests were made by the Town Council, and hopefully it will be dealt with soon.

Al Parnham
👍 3

Fri 12 Apr 2019, 16:40

I was very surprised,when driving through Charlbury recently, to see how dangerous the Nine Acres junction still is, after so many years and so many opportunities to put it right. No vehicle was parked 'illegally' - nothing was on the double yellow lines - but several  vehicles were parked in such away as to cause an obstruction,which is illegal, and which the police can be asked to deal with. There is a real hazard here, no matter from which direction the junction is approached.

How has the Town Council allowed this danger to persist for so many years? Is it entirely impotent? Does the County Highway authority simply not listen to its requests, if it has ever made any?

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Thu 11 Apr 2019, 17:01

I am glad that this link has now provided us with more views and information. I can agree with those who have seen the cars parked not just during drop-off or pick-up times for the pre-school, and sorry Liz, but most of the days are not now so fine. Not having anyone to monitor the road is the downside. No-one likes to see traffic wardens prowling around, and if there are no yellow lines anyway, they wouldn't be able to issue a ticket, would they.

So it would seem that we really do need some double yellow lines around the Charlbury streets, and I would say particularly on Nine Acres Lane and Grammar School Hill, soon.

Chris Tatton
👍 1

Thu 11 Apr 2019, 11:15

I think Laura is right, there have been some cars parked for long periods on this dangerous bend this week, when pre-school is presumably on holiday. Also many pre-school parents walk their children to the Old Grammar school, or considerately Park their cars on the straight road past the corner.

Laura Barwood
👍 2

Thu 11 Apr 2019, 07:29

I am Chair of Pre-School and we contacted the town council a year ago who were already aware of the problem. We consistently remind parents not to park on the bend. I believe a 20mph speed limit is being enforced along there shortly and we are hoping for some yellow lines on the bend too. It is definitely more of an issue during pick ups and drop offs but we believe people park there for other reasons such as avoiding train station parking fees.

Angus B
👍

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 22:14

Just to clarify: "Certain rules in the Highway Code are legal requirements and are identified by the words 'must' or 'must not'. ... Although failure to comply with the other rules would not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted, the Highway Code may be used in court under the Road Traffic Act to establish liability."

Emma Webster
👍 2

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 20:44

I drive down here between 5 and 5.30 pm a couple of times a week and most times have this problem. So I think it isn’t just people dropping at preschool for a short period. I would love to see a short section of double yellows on this bend. It’s really dangerous. 

Alan Cobb
👍

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 20:29

Another solution would be to make Park St and Grammar School Hill into a one way street - similar to what was done on Market St many years ago. 

Liz Leffman
👍 4

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 19:53 (last edited on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 20:12)

The problem on Grammar School Hill occurs because people park there when going to the pre-school, so it is only at certain times of the day - most of the day it is fine. It is very dangerous to park on that bend and I have had a couple of near misses there myself. The school is aware of the problems it causes and reguarly asks people not to park on the bend but unfortunately they are too often ignored.  It is something that has been raised with the Town Council and OCC and we are jointly looking at what can be done - possibly yellow lines just on the bend so that it does not make it difficult for residents to park further down.  They would have to be enforced, and that is down to WODC. There will be a consultation shortly on this and other proposed changes to parking in the town, for example extending the yellow lines on Nine Acres Lane to prevent parking too close to the corner.  It is however a work in progress so don't expect anything very soon!

Hannen Beith
👍 5

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 19:42

I agree with Rosemary.

Parking in many places in Charlbury has the potential to cause accidents.  Large cars are parked near corners obscuring sightlines.  Fishers Lane, Dancers Hill, and others.  Driving down Sheep Street is not for the faint hearted, unless you enjoy chicanes.  Pooles Lane is another "nightmare" road.  As for Dyers Hill...

However, I think that we should be slow to "blame" the car owners.  The fact to me seems to be that construction of new "mini-estates" has resulted in considerable additional pressure on available parking on the streets of Charlbury.  Has anyone succeeded recently in parking outside the Pharmacy?  Not on the yellow lines, which many do.

Also, Traffic Wardens have disappeared, as have local Police, so there is no enforcement.

I can walk into central Charlbury but that is impractical if you are going to shop.  At least it is for me.  Two weeks ago I drove into Charlbury to park in the Spendlove to visit the Co-op, Deli, and Larcums.  Nowhere to park at all, whether legally or illegally, and after driving round twice and being reluctant to join the queue of four cars waiting for someone to move from the Spendlove car park (there each time), I drove to Chippy.  15 minutes.  Plenty of car parking at the Co-op there, and cheaper prices.

I do think that this needs to be looked at.  Perhaps a 60 minute limit at the Spendlove?  

One reason I don't use Charlbury Station anymore is because that during the week (apart from school holidays) it's impossible to park.  It takes me about 20 to 25 minutes to drive to Oxford Parkway where parking is in reality guaranteed.  

This must be taking a toll on commercial activity in the town centre.  It needs addressing by the appropriate body.

So there is a safety aspect, highlighted by Rosemary, and a commercial aspect. 

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 14:20 (last edited on Wed 10 Apr 2019, 14:20)

If Chris has twice witnessed two near head on accidents, how many more near incidents might there be in the course of a year? This seems to indicate that parking on that spot is a regular occurrence. And how long before ..........

I think this issue of dangerous parking in Charlbury is worth more serious debate, as clearly, Grammar School Hill is not the only place that has become dangerous.

sharon
👍 2

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 13:49

It's the same when people park on ticknell piece road dropping there children off at school you can not see if your coming down the road you have to drive on the other side of the road all I can say is they have no consideration for anyone else but themselves.

Chris Tatton
👍 3

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 12:30

I think Rosemary raises an important point regarding dangerous parking on the bend outside pre-school. Whilst walking by there I have twice witnessed two near head on accidents. Traffic coming out of Charlbury is forced into the path of oncoming traffic when cars are parked on or near this nasty bend. Hopefully something will be done before there is an accident there and someone is injured.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 10 Apr 2019, 11:25

There are guidelines about this. It is 'an offence' to park on a blind bend and it can lead to prosecution with potentially heavy fines if there is proof that an accident or damage was caused because of it. It appears that this applies whether or not there are double yellow lines.

Regarding missing the point, Huw. I thought I'd made the point in my previous post.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Tue 9 Apr 2019, 22:09

To the best of my knowledge it is not illegal to park on Grammar School Hill - or have I missed the point?

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Tue 9 Apr 2019, 20:50

Thanks Philip, that's helpful and kind of you as I thought no-one at all was interested. When I was driving out as I described, my having to pull over to the righthand lane to get past the parked cars did put me in a situation thet could well have been a head-on, had any unthinking driver been speeding down the road towards town. I could not see round the bend and anything could have happened in those split seconds..... we know that some people do drive too fast around Charlbury, as we see from the monitoring programme. As for anyone parking on the righthand side of the road, around the bend, it could be exactly the same kind of situation, but happening in the opposite lane.

Within this context, I worked at the Fire Service College for long enough to have seen many videos and simulated fireground exercises of various scenarios for incident training, and believe me, it makes one very aware of the severity and the potential hazard of RTI's.

Philip Ambrose
👍 2

Tue 9 Apr 2019, 19:04

1. Yes, insofar as one is causing an obstruction, (even if there are no yellow lines).

2. Is it asking for a head on collision? well not exactly, parking on the right hand side would be far more likely to result in a head -on collision, but I see what you mean.

While on the subject of parking, it is illegal to park within 9 metres of a road junction e.g. Nine Acre / Market Street junction. No excuses - it's there in The Highway Code!

It is also illegal to park on the wrong side of a two-way road at night e.g. Enstone Road where many cars are parked pointing downhill towards town on the right hand side. Parking on that same side pointing away from town is fine, as your reflectors will be seen by any vehicles leaving town. Not rocket science, just common sense.

Rosemary Bennett
👍 3

Fri 5 Apr 2019, 17:54 (last edited on Fri 5 Apr 2019, 17:54)

I thought it was illegal to park on a blind bend. Twice recently I have been driving out of Charlbury past the pre-school, to find that there are cars parked on the left-hand side of the road almost up to the bend. It is so dangerous. It is asking for a head-on collision. Is anyone else out there concerned about this?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.