Home Wireless Network Agony

Caroline Shenton
👍

Tue 4 Mar 2008, 11:57

Thanks Steve - that sounds like the problem! Will give you a phone -and thanks to all of you who have made suggestions, both on and off the forum! I'm VERY grateful!!!

Caroline

Steve Martin
👍

Tue 4 Mar 2008, 11:01

Hi Caroline. It sounds like your trying to connect an Ethernet cable into a smaller jack connection (normally used for phone line connect). I may be barking up the wrong tree here.

Give me a call on 07958618241 or I can call by on my way back this evening after the train gets back into Charlbury. It might be a simple solution to what looks like an obtuse problem.

Cheers
Steve

Caroline Shenton
👍

Tue 4 Mar 2008, 08:46

It's not as complicated as that, I'm afraid. It's simply that the cables we have to connect all the kit for installation have the wrong connections for each other (trying to get a usb connection to a five pin thingybob etc) and we have been told the converters will cost about £60 to buy. As that is pretty much the cost of a new router we just need someone to come and advise us about what we need this time round to ensure it will work with my husband's laptop.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2008, 22:42

Have you checked both devices are on the same channel? Is WPA or WEP encryption enabled or disabled? Have you set passwords the same on the devices if so? Have you got a ruddy thick charlbury stone wall betwixt the devices (the iron content is superb at blocking radio signals!). Channel setting, encryption, passwording how to - that sort of thing should be in the manual and also available to change and set from - usually - a small webpage that the device is running that you can access according to the manual's directions by typing in a default address and administrators password (which you should promptly change). Those are things to start looking around at - but you do need to tell us much more specifically what you have, and have not, done or set up so far. Usually the problem is very simple to overcome except if you find that all the neighbours within receiving range are using all the available channels and blocking out all signals - now that can be a mite tricky... but not impossible.

Ian Taylor
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2008, 17:43

Like Mike, if you post some details of the setup, I might be able to help.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2008, 16:25

People still use PCs?

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2008, 16:06

That's generally true Mike, but occasionally the hub is not reading the signal from the wifi on the PC as they've failed to synchronise.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2008, 10:35

What model of wireless hub are you trying to install?

Naomi Norman
👍

Sun 2 Mar 2008, 17:10

Have you looked at www.SocketSurfer.co.uk?

Caroline Shenton
👍

Sun 2 Mar 2008, 13:55

Help! We are in a pickle trying to set up a wireless network at home. We think we may have bought two sets of incompatible kit. Can anyone recommend a troubleshooter who will come out and fix it for us, with new kit if necessary? I would like a word-of-mouth recommendation from the website rather than phoning someone randomly on the site directory. Many cyberthanks!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.