Charlbury homes heat energy surveys - help needed

Alice Brander
👍

Sat 23 Mar 2019, 09:37

Just to follow up on Hannen's comment wondering whether she should make a link between building construction and ill health, Sustainable Charlbury's project is called 'Greener, Healthier Homes'.  Are we aware of other housing types that might result in health problems? 

Alice Brander
👍 3

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 21:50

If you want to know something in Charlbury - just ask.  Thank you all that's great.  Any further contributions gratefully received.  I'm going to draw up a map and share it with LCH.  

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 19:41 (last edited on Fri 22 Mar 2019, 19:43)

Wellington Cottages were built around the 18th or 19th Century as dwellings for the Blenheim Estate workers (I am told).  They are appalling in terms of efficient energy usage.   Very little, or no loft insulation, single skin walls, and floors which lie on the ground, i.e. no "void".  Also, no damp proofing, at least not in ours!  We've installed double glazing where we can.  My readings show a humidity rating of between 30 - 40%.  Can that be correct?  It would perhaps explain my recurrent bouts of bronchitis! 

Apart from anything else (which is quite a lot!) they are S-SW facing so prime candidates for solar panels. I have no idea how to go about getting that put up, but as there are eight of us perhaps a company would find it commercially attractive.

I've done my best to rectify but really only by getting all my energy from "Bulb", which I understand, is environmentally friendly, but not the cheapest.  

Apologies Alice if this is not what you were after!

Rita Steffens
👍

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 16:43

We moved into Marlborough Place in may 1972 the shell of the house had been there about 5 years before hand

Brigid Sturdy
👍

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 15:55

Woodfield Drive, 1970 onwards. My house, on the north side near Dancers Hill, was one of the first five to be built (I believe). The deeds date it to 1970.  It was oil-heated when we moved in in December 1993, and had paper-thin windows and no insulation.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 15:25

Alice.  I believe the following dates are correct (partly based on information pulled together for the Historic Environment section of the emerging Charlbury Neighbourhood Plan - thanks to Juliet and Jeff West for much of this work).  This is not a comprehensive lists and others may be able to fill in some gaps.

Pre-1950 - Council Houses (now mostly in private ownership) on Enstone Road (1919), Hundley Way (1926), Sturt Road & Woodstock Road (1940s)

1950s - Council houses (many now in private ownership) on Nine Acres Lane, Sturt Close and Hughes Close.

1960s? (some could be '70s) - The Slade, Woodfield Drive etc, Nine Acres Close, The Green etc.

1970s - Lees Heights and later Little Lees (market housing)

1990s - Ticknell Piece (market housing)

Late 1990s/2000s - Ticknell Piece affordable housing (2 phases)

2000s - Dairy Court

2010s - Little Lees (affordable housing), Wilkins Court

I hope this helps.

Alice Brander
👍 1

Fri 22 Mar 2019, 11:10

Sustainable Charlbury has been granted funds by Low Carbon Hub (LCH) to look at different types of housing stock in Charlbury and come up with proposals to reduce heat energy consumption for a type of housing - information that can be shared with neighbours in similar housing.  We have started by approaching a group of householders in The Green area - we invited 94 houses to participate.  Eight properties will be surveyed over March/April starting on Monday and the results will be shared through public meetings and feedback.  For further work with LCH we need to identify other distinct housing types.  But, I don't know when some of the housing estates were built.  When were the houses around Woodfield Drive, Lees Heights, Nine Acres Close, Nine Acres Lane, Ticknell Piece built?  I am looking to group the housing into 'pre 1950'; 1950's; 1960's; 1970's; 1980's; 1990's; 2000's+.  Many thanks.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.