Searching for details about the Watneys from Cornbury Park

Andy Godfrey
👍

Sun 2 Mar 2008, 22:06

My copy has the red leather binding.

Edward Fenton
👍

Sat 1 Mar 2008, 13:24

Hello Debra - you ought to speak to Mrs Margaret Merry, who grew up in the Wychwood Forest, and who has some very interesting personal memories of the Watney family. I told her that you were doing some research, and she would be happy to share some of her memories with you. If you email me at ef@day-books.com I'll give you her details.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 22 Feb 2008, 10:10

No binding, as I remember it...

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 22 Feb 2008, 09:57

Given what Watney's book has been selling for in the last 10 years, that's £300 or £400 below the market price. Assuming reasonable condition in its smart red leather binding.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 21 Feb 2008, 23:40

The Salisbury shop was Ellwood Books - www.ellwoodbooks.com/ .

john h
👍

Thu 21 Feb 2008, 20:12

Debs. you need Evenlode Books in Market St Charlbury

01608 819117

Email. orders@evenlodebooks.co.uk

Debs Edmonds
👍

Tue 19 Feb 2008, 22:48

Thanks Richard - it's a bit pricey, but I do have a 40th birthday ahead so I could request it!! Can you remember which bookseller it was/which street? Many thanks again, you've all been really helpful, Debra

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 19 Feb 2008, 17:37

We saw a copy of the Vernon Watney book in a Salisbury booksellers a couple of weeks back. It was going for £120...

Debs Edmonds
👍

Mon 18 Feb 2008, 22:14

Hi Jon, Michael and Mark - that's so helpful, thank you! I will visit Shorthampton some time this week! I knew he was from the brewing family - I have a book he's written all about Littlecote which is fascinating and he has put his initials on the Long Gallery ceiling at Littlecote when he had it refurbished in 1899. The book Michael mentions sounds great and I will try and track down a copy - thanks for all your help. Best wishes, Debra

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Mon 18 Feb 2008, 17:09

Yes, he is buried in Shorthampton churchyard with various family members. I can send you a photo if you like!

Michael Flanagan
👍

Mon 18 Feb 2008, 13:02

Vernon Watney put together a book called "Cornbury and the Forest of Wychwood", which is partly a history of the forest but also documents and illustrates changes to Cornbury by successive owners - including him. There's a copy in the Charlbury Museum, but it also comes up in antiquarian bookshops from time to time: it's a very handsome (if increasingly pricey) volume. The Cornbury gatehouses at the Park St entrance both carry Watney's monogram.

Charles Tyzack's "Wychwood and Cornbury" also has a fair amount about the Watneys. It's a very great deal cheaper than Watney's book, and John at Evenlode Books has loads. You might try contacting Charles - who has a bucketload of knowledge about Cornbury -directly.

Mark Wilson
👍

Mon 18 Feb 2008, 09:47

I am sure I saw a memorial to a Watney somewhere recently - possibly at Shorthampton Church. That would figure because the Rotherwicks are buried at Shorthampton too.

Debs Edmonds
👍

Sun 17 Feb 2008, 20:59

Hi all - my name is Debra, and I often come to Charlbury for a long walk through the village, out across the railway line, through the forest and back round behind Cornbury Park. I am also a historian and tour guide at Littlecote House, near Hungerford (Berkshire). One of the tenants at Littlecote from 1897 to around 1902 was Vernon J. Watney (who went on to live at Cornbury Park), and I am trying to find out more about him and more importantly where he is buried. I have looked in the churchyard at Charlbury, but realise he is not there. Would anyone know where I can find out more about the Watney family from their time at Cornbury Park and also his burial place? Best wishes and many thanks, Debra Edmonds (Swindon)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.