Searching for details about the Watneys from Cornbury Park

Debs Edmonds
👍

Mon 18 Feb 2008, 22:11

Many thanks Roger - that's really helpful - no wonder I could not find a grave for him at Charlbury! I will visit some time this week now I know where to look! I knew he was from the brewing family - I have a book he's written all about Littlecote which is fascinating and he has put his initials on the Long Gallery ceiling at Littlecote when he had it refurbished in 1899. I don't know a great deal about him after he left Littlecote, so it's great to have some help from this site. Best wishes, Debra

Deleted user
👍

Mon 18 Feb 2008, 08:50

Debra,
Vernon Watney is buried at Shorthampton, which is on the opposite side of the road to Burford from Rangers Lodge.
The Watney family, of course, owned the Watney brewery. I am sure you were aware of that though.

Debs Edmonds
👍

Sun 17 Feb 2008, 20:57

Hi all - my name is Debra, and I often come to Charlbury for a long walk through the village, out across the railway line, through the forest and back round behind Cornbury Park. I am also a historian and tour guide at Littlecote House, near Hungerford (Berkshire). One of the tenants at Littlecote from 1897 to around 1902 was Vernon J. Watney (who went on to live at Cornbury Park), and I am trying to find out more about him and more importantly where he is buried. I have looked in the churchyard at Charlbury, but realise he is not there. Would anyone know where I can find out more about the Watney family from their time at Cornbury Park and also his burial place? Best wishes and many thanks, Debra Edmonds (Swindon)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.