Re-cycling small electrical items.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 19:37

You can get new black boxes from the WODC shop in Witney if you need them.

John Dora
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 18:55

Careful Hannen, the Logie Baird TV might be a bit big ๐Ÿ˜œ?"

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 17:12

Yep, also have put in iron as well

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 12:48

Crikey - they take TVs?!

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 12:00

It's ok to put in the black box with the bottles done this with our tv and kettle

john h
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 11:07

I have a spare black box that I have labelled "Small Electrical" .This has always been emptied on the appropriate day. John

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 11:04

Good point Stephen. The kettle certainly not. It had a leaky bottom which was downright dangerous as the water was getting close to the electrical stand. Also, the push button had snapped off. The toaster possibly, it kept tripping the circuit, and that may have been due to the fuse in the plug. I didn't check, but it was about 15 years old.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 10:50

Probably a bit late, Hannen, but could they have been fixed?

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 19 Jan 2019, 08:51

Thanks. As it happens we do have two black boxes. Also, if I pitch myself head first into our recycling wheelie bin I can recover the cardboard boxes which the new kettle and toaster came in. I shall have to reconstruct them though having dutifully flattened them. That's assuming I can get myself out of the bin. So I'm suddenly spoilt for choice.

Alan Cobb
👍

Fri 18 Jan 2019, 21:41

You need to put them in a cardboard box and they can then go in the same black box as the glass bottles. I did that a few weeks ago with a defunct toaster and it was taken, no problem.

Simon Walker
👍

Fri 18 Jan 2019, 19:01

The WODC website also says that you put glass in black recycling box 1 and small electrical stuff in black recycling box 2. And that, of course, assumes that you've got two of 'em in the first place.

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 18 Jan 2019, 18:27

We have an obsolete toaster and electric kettle to dispose of. Both well over 10 years old.
I've been researching how to dispose of them in a way which will be e-friendly. Looking on the WODC website I'm told that I can put them in my black box. That can't be right, it's only for glass isn't it?
The same website tells me that I can take them to the recycling centre at the Spendlove centre. So I went there only to find that there is no obvious container for them.
Am I missing something or should I just chuck them in the grey bin and be done with it? And no, I'm not prepared to travel miles (emitting noxious fumes into the atmosphere) to some "central" recycling centre.
Advice please.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.