Who can care for an injured pigeon?

Derek Collett
👍

Sun 10 Feb 2008, 19:10

The bird in question (a young collared dove) is alive and well and living in Great Haseley near Thame! It has its leg in a splint as the result of a broken femur and some bruising to its wing but it will survive and the long-term prognosis is good.

I'm surprised by what you say about vets treating injured wild animals Jon. I phoned the vets in Charlbury as soon as I found the bird and they certainly never mentioned this to me at all. The posting by Frank on this Forum was far more useful in terms of putting me in touch with someone who could help. Thanks again Frank.

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Sun 10 Feb 2008, 11:03

If it's not dead by now, Derek, vets treat wild creatures for free, and might have further suggestions.

Derek Collett
👍

Fri 1 Feb 2008, 22:15

Thanks Frank. I've spoken to Penny Little this evening and she's agreed to help. However, I don't have a car so if Penny cannot arrange transport is there some kind person in Charlbury who would be prepared to undertake a mercy dash to Great Haseley (five miles this side of Thame) some time tomorrow? If so, please let me know via this Forum. Thanks. It's probably a young collared dove rather than a pigeon by the way.

Frank Payne
👍

Fri 1 Feb 2008, 17:56

There is a lady called Sue, who lives in Pixey Place, by the Wolvercote roundabout, who rescues all sorts of animals, especially birds, and does wonders with them. Her phone number is 01865 429433. Failing that, Penny Little on 01844 279469 runs an organisation for rescuing animals, of which Sue is part. I've taken several injured birds to Sue in the past, but it does mean driving into Oxford. Phoning the RSPCA etc usually doesn't help much,as they are quite out of date with the names of local people.

Frank

Derek Collett
👍

Fri 1 Feb 2008, 15:52

I have a baby pigeon in my garage with a suspected broken wing. Does anyone know of an individual or organisation that might be able to take it off my hands and nurse it back to health (if that is possible)? Thanks!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.