Accidents on the B4437

vicky burton
👍

Fri 30 Nov 2018, 10:10

I saw it too while the police were attending the scene. It is sadly becoming an every day occurrence on this stretch of road. Some motorists seem to treat it as as some sort of rally stage. I have emailed PC Chris Hulme to raise my concern. We haven't even had ice on the road yet...

Heather Williams
👍

Thu 29 Nov 2018, 17:36

Another car on it's roof Tuesday morning, by the new dry stone walling on this road.

Alan Wilson
👍

Sun 11 Nov 2018, 10:44

Fawler Road is hardly a new venue for accidents, Richard. It feels like somebody comes off on that bend most winters. But it is a lot easier to understand how it can happen when the road is icy then in the admittedly somewhat damp conditions this week.

Simon Hogg
👍

Sat 10 Nov 2018, 14:25 (last edited on Sat 10 Nov 2018, 14:25)

It would probably be better to have no warning signs ie. 'bends', 'slow' etc.

Richard Cocks
👍

Fri 9 Nov 2018, 17:55

Fawler Road is the new venue for accidents - someone rolled their car on the bend by the electricity sub-station yesterday morning! No-one hurt I understand. When I see the speed some cars go past before the end of the 30 mph zone I am not surprised!

Charlie M
👍

Fri 9 Nov 2018, 10:47

Chris, I feel absolutely no guilt whatsoever. And they are *NOT* tailgaters; they are *BULLIES*, and people should remember this. And as such, they deserve no respect whatsoever. Where possible, I just go slower and slower. And eventually even the worst of them get bored.

Chris Wastie
👍

Fri 9 Nov 2018, 10:04

it all most makes me feel guilty for sticking to the speed limits sometimes when you have a person tailgateing you.....Chris Wastie

Alice Brander
👍

Thu 8 Nov 2018, 13:30

The update from Speedwatch on 'The News' section tells me that, within the town, one third of all traffic is speeding. Most of the roads surveyed are the ring roads and approach roads. Personal observation (unscientific I know but they keep overtaking me) suggests that over 50% of drivers are speeding outside the town. Slower traffic means less noise, less pollution and less seriously damaged people who require home care for 40 years at public expense. We have had vehicles for 100 years and we still haven't learnt how to drive with respect for others. Please, please, please can Charlbury have traffic calming measures.

Liz Puttick
👍

Wed 7 Nov 2018, 09:18

Maybe one of those accident black spot signs like the one after the Burford roundabout, if the stats are available. It could pull people up short, being so unexpected on a minor road.

David Thomas
👍

Tue 6 Nov 2018, 22:22

Most drivers simply ignore what the speed limit signs say: have you stood in the dip on The Slade? Crazy!

Heather Williams
👍

Tue 6 Nov 2018, 20:15

I know the road well, and over the years I have had people overtaking me, only to find them in the ditch some minute or so later. The road is tricky, the camber also plays a part and speed. I am sorry but if you do not reduce your speed then you will get into trouble negotiating the bends. On August Bank Holiday Sunday, someone had come off the road, ploughed through the verge and ended up several feet into the field and several feet below the road height. We had had the first lot of rain for some time and the road was greasy, again if driven slowly this probably wouldn't have happened. Again and again, this happens on this stretch of the road, mainly between the Chilson/Pudlicote turn and the Chadlington crossroads. I am not sure what can be done.

vicky burton
👍

Tue 6 Nov 2018, 19:50

I'm very to annoy you Philip, or anyone else. I don't presume that speed is the ultimate cause of such accidents. Of course attention to driving is however, the nature of this particular road must be a factor or they wouldn't be occurring here. Local people are likely aware of just how extreme this stretch is but other people don't. I personally don't feel that a double bend sign alone, is adequate notification, given that there's no reduction in speed limit.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Tue 6 Nov 2018, 15:18 (last edited on Tue 6 Nov 2018, 17:29)

It does annoy me when people automatically presume the cause of an RTC to be speed. The real issue here is not speeding as such but a lack of attention to the road and the road conditions.

Those bends have been a hazard ever since motor transport was invented, maybe before? They are clearly signed as such. The dip can also be a bit of a frost pocket.

The answer is not yet more speed limits, but for people to pay more attention to their driving, rather than their phones, their music, or thinking about their next meeting or what they are going to cook for tea.

The last RTC I encountered there was between two vehicles travelling in opposite directions where one had strayed across the road. Even at 30mph that can have consequences.

Heather Williams
👍

Mon 5 Nov 2018, 12:46

Was that down in the dip, after the Chilson turn on your left travelling towards Charlbury? If so it is speed. People take this dip far too fast and shoot off into the field. I am not sure what the police can do. I see so many on that stretch of road every year.

vicky burton
👍

Mon 5 Nov 2018, 12:28

very concerned to see yet another serious accident has occurred on the B4437 as evidenced by an overturned vehicle on the verge. (The police are aware as it's still there) I have asked the highways dept (via their online portal) to lower the speed limit on the bends especially as there have been at least 4 serious accidents between Charlbury and Ascott under Wychwood this year on this stretch. I would like to encourage others to also.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.