Phone fraud alert - BT openteach

Charlie M
👍

Wed 31 Oct 2018, 13:12 (last edited on Wed 31 Oct 2018, 13:12)

Helen, I'm afraid that the answer to your last question is "probably not very many", because otherwise it would (presumably) not be worth their while to do it.

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Tue 30 Oct 2018, 21:59

We are also plagued by these calls. I have adopted a number of approaches, including - engaging them at length in conversation (if they are talking to me they are not bothering someone else), saying I need to turn something off in the kitchen and then not going back to the phone (they wait some time before hanging up), placing the phone next to a radio playing a speech program, usually Radio 4 and it takes a while before they realise what is happening, switch to speaking in a language other than English - which causes great confusion, or just end the call......
Not once have I ever done anything other than disbelieve them, nor has anyone I know - one wonders how many calls they make before they get a victim.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Tue 30 Oct 2018, 18:43 (last edited on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 18:44)

Just had good fun when I also got a call from this presumably same organisation. I strung the Indian man along for a while asking what he wanted me to do, which firstly was to turn on my Windows computer. When I told him I did not have a Windows computer he said I must therefore start my Apple-Mac and follow his instructions.
Here it became even more fun when I told him I don't have an Apple-Mac; he told me that I must be wrong and that I must use either one or the other if I had a working computer. He'd not heard of Linux, it seems!
I eventually ran out of time to string him along, so told him I obviously knew more about computers than he did at which point he rang off; he must have accepted that I was a lost cause.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sun 28 Oct 2018, 21:48

Likewise. First time the person was totally unintelligible. The amount of background noise suggested that he was calling from a curry house or similar. Second time I asked them who was my internet provider and when they got it wrong I hung up.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 28 Oct 2018, 20:33

Me too

Suzanne Flynn
👍

Sun 28 Oct 2018, 19:55 (last edited on Sun 28 Oct 2018, 20:07)

I've also had several calls from a robotic voice claiming to be from BT and telling me that my broadband was about to stop and for me to dial 1 in order to find out how to stop it. I hung up and still have my broadband so it was obviously another scam!

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Fri 26 Oct 2018, 17:12

Got a call from an Indian-sounding guide about my underperforming Openreach internet service. I'm with the Phone Coop. Also on my mobile which I don't give out much. So must have been a scam so I hung up. Be a lert.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.