Cotswold Line

John Stanley
👍

Sat 14 Jun 2008, 16:36

This is a response to both the General Cotswold Line and the more specific Charlbury Railbus sections.
During the last week, the Office of Rail Regulation has published the "footfall" figures for all railway stations on the network. Although the figures relate to the March 2006/7 period, they do make…

Long post - click to read full text

roger short
👍

Tue 10 Jun 2008, 14:55

Igor ,i thought we had gotten over the personal feelings we had for each other .Your issues as you put it should for one cover the whole of charlbury,second i had no idea that you were an urban original . As for the length of time that someone has lived in charlbury has nothing to do with complaining about the issues that concern them ,but what gets on everyones nerves is the way that things have to change because one person thinks they ought to . And the crossing was put outside londis after a young lad of nine tragically lost his life in an accident with a car whilst riding a bike.

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 5 Jun 2008, 16:32

Any chance that a moderator could hive off this discussion on crossing roads into another thread please?

I've just received notice that the ORR (Office of Rail Regulator) has approved Network Rail(NR)'s scheme to partially-redouble the Cotswold Line!

So good news - this may, in the short term, produce disruption worse than currently, but certainly in the mid-to-long term will definitely produce improved services on this line - for which we should all be thankful.

I have already discussed this with Network Rail & FGW and I am quietly confident that meetings to inform all on this line WILL be held locally well in advance of any works being started -- indeed, as soon as I have dates from NR, I will bring them here to enable everyone to plan holidays etc around the disruption.

NR will be working up the detail of this scheme over the coming weeks and possibly months - but I will stay in touch with both FGW and NR, and will report back as soon as there is more to impart.

Anyone wanting confirmation can look on the ORR website here
www.rail-reg.gov.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.9147

Click on the 'Periodic Review 2008' pdf file on the right hand side - you need to go to paragraph 9.75 on page 159 and paras 34 & 35 on page 360.

[Edit: Chris - I'll split the threads when I have a minute - it's a very tortuous process right now and I need to change the software to make it easier. Great news about the redoubling -- Richard]

Igor Goldkind
👍

Thu 5 Jun 2008, 11:57

Roger, please re-read the comments you made in direct and indirect response to my complaints regarding the poor train service in Charlbury. Your implication was very clear to anyone reading your comments (including Birgit): that since I originated from an urban environment and hadn't been born and raised in Charlbury, that I am somehow less entitled to call attention to the flaws in this community and therefore must be one of those new outsiders who just likes to complain.

The "issues" I have about Charlbury (as you call them) are to do with
behaviours that could easily be adjusted, like obeying the speed limit on The Slade; regardless of where you're from. But as I've sadly discovered, the first obstacle to resolving these issues appears to be overcoming the righteousness insularity of those who think that the weight of ones perception can only be measured by the number of years one's lived here.

roger short
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2008, 23:16

Birgit you say that respect and tolerance work against the british . Well all i can say in reply to those comments is that when we lose repect for each other and show no tolerance ,then the only thing we are left with is anarchy.There are people working hard as volenteers on this very forum to try and improve things for everyone ,but they will be hard pressed to stay with it if there is nothing but negativity.

roger short
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2008, 23:04

Igor i do not know where you got the impression that in my response to birgit that i was implying that that you were whinging and whining about anything . But we do have a saying in this country that if the cap fits then wear it . You do appear to have a lot of issues about charlbury though it must be said . I also live on the fastest road in charlbury as you call it and i quite agree that the cars should be made to slow down before someone gets hurt.So if you would like some help at trying to get something done about that ,then i would happily stand by you on that matter .

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2008, 11:03

Roger, I don't know why you appear to think that complaining about the least efficient train franchise in the country is only my personal axe to grind. Somehow I don't think that Cameron's efforts (amongst others), to bring some accountability to bear on FGW and provide platforms for customer feedback was all down to my 'whinging and moaning' as you call it.

If you don't find anything wrong with the train service, then fine: don't complain, that's your option. However, those of us who are affected by FGW's inefficiency as well as dangerous speeding drivers and the lack of a safe school crossing across the busiest road in Charlbury are just as entitled to raise these issues on a public forum as you are entitled to maintain your complacency.

Birgit den Outer
👍

Wed 4 Jun 2008, 10:13

Roger, the English have a lot to be proud of and I love living here too. I just think that some of the traits I admire about the English, like their tolerance and respect, sometimes work against them. Pride and criticism are not mutually exclusive. As citizens of a modern country, I think we should not be tolerating one of the worst performing and most expensive train services in western Europe, whether we live in rural community or not.

brian
👍

Tue 3 Jun 2008, 15:25

Well said that man.

roger short
👍

Tue 3 Jun 2008, 15:10

Birgit ,Far be it from me to be as you call me unpleasant and rude . If thats how you see me then that has to be your opinion, my take on this is as follows .People move to a town like charlbury which is a place i was born to and have been here all my life .i have seen the railway when it was a double line in the days of steam and then reduced to a single line . Why is that we then get people moving to charlbury who then expect everything to run like clockwork and to their timetable . Surely when we are all fully grown adults and in this day and age we must expect trains to falter as we do not yet live in an ideal world. As a small community we are blessed with having not only a train service and a fairly decent bus service ,so there are alternatives to be had .As for my english attitude ,i am english and very proud of it and i would stand behind anyone with a fair greviance ,but i draw the line at some people that all they have in life is to find something to whinge and whine about.GET REAL

Birgit den Outer
👍

Mon 2 Jun 2008, 17:09

Roger, could I suggest to you that it is that kind of, dare I say, English attitude - calling critising the lack of a punctual, effective train service 'moaning' - that has left this country with such deep-rooted problems affecting millions of people. Working from home like I do, or within walking distance, like you, is only an option for a few. Rather than being rude and unpleasant, let's support those who champion causes and stick their neck out for the greater good.

roger short
👍

Mon 2 Jun 2008, 06:21

hi igor ,you seem to have a lot to say about all things charlbury. i have one or two suggestions (if you will excuse me for trying). firstly accept that this is not your average metropolis ,so things can go wrong not someetimes but quite often ,secondly if you used the steam that you generate from your getting so uptight you could power that bike of yours to oxford and beyond a lot faster than any train could take you thus saving all the aggravation of claiming compensation from the company that obviously frustrates the heck out of you. OR is it that like so many people it seems in charlbury nowadays We have to have something to crib about???????

Igor Goldkind
👍

Sun 1 Jun 2008, 14:50

You'd be surprised.
An FGW employee was telling me last week that FGW's sales of first class tickets has been up on the Cotswolds line this year by which the FGW makes a bigger margin than on standard. One can't begrudge FGW for trying to make a profit; the question is what percentage of the revenue we pay them on a daily, weekly and yearly basis is being put towards achieving a punctual service, because there isn't one at the moment.

FGW is the only transport provider on this line; train passengers have no other choice, therefore the sole service provider must be held up to a minimal standard of service provision.

William Crossley
👍

Thu 29 May 2008, 21:41

I doubt if any of the increase in First's rail profits is from this neck of the woods, given our recent experiences and all the extra money put into compensation etc by FGW. For example, passenger numbers on First TransPennine are up 50 per cent in just four years - and that on what were already some of the busiest routes in the North of England.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 28 May 2008, 08:14

FGW's Owner Declares 40% increase in profits over last year.
I guess single rail congestion didn't cause unavoidable delays on the company profits arriving on time!

First Group’s preliminary results for the year to March 31, 2008 showed:

• Adjusted Operating Profit of £360.1 million across the group, up almost 40% from last year.
• UK Rail Adjusted Operating profit of £120 million, an increase of 10.3% on last year.
• UK Bus Adjusted Operating Profit of £122 million, an increase of 18.4% on last year. Operating margins are 11%.
• Dividend payments of £69.5million.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 27 May 2008, 08:48

There does appear to be allot of support for reintroducing a double rail, at least on this forum. And I assuming its supporters have all taken into account the months of service disruption and rescheduling this will entail and are utterly convinced of the merits of this particular solution to achieve the long term objective which is to reach a point where the trains actually come and go as per published schedule.

Maybe they're right.
I don't know because I haven't seen or weighed the alternatives.
But I do know that reintroducing a double rail is not going to improve communications to passengers, staff training or train traffic control on it's own.

My personal skepticism is fueled by the fact that FGW has so comprehensively adopted the 'single rail congestion' explanation for everything that goes wrong, that I'm sure if you informed a member of staff about the lack of loo roll in one of the loss, single rail congestion would also be the cause.

William Crossley
👍

Mon 26 May 2008, 23:31

Of course more double track will make things better - it couldn't fail to. As John notes, the existing timetable often allows margins of a just a couple of minutes for a train to clear the single line sections before another train enters. A 10-mile single section at the Oxfordshire end (instead of 14.5 miles) and 26 miles of double track in the middle (cutting out delays of up to 15-20 minutes at Moreton and Evesham waiting for the single line between those stations) would transform the situation. Network Rail's plans are the result of extensive research to find the optimum improvement at an affordable price, so please give them some support on this, as the decision from the Office of Rail Regulation is likely within two or three weeks.

John D
👍

Mon 26 May 2008, 21:05

In response to Igor, I understand there are plans to build a new platform at Oxford on the south side to accommodate Oxford-London trains, so freeing capacity on platform 1 and reducing the likelihood that trains will be delayed awaiting a platform at Oxford.

I don't however usually experience a 5-10 minute delay as Igor does.

A real problem with the existing Wolvercote Jcn to Ascott single line section is we get upset to the timetable when even one train is delayed, as the schedule on the whole Worcester - Oxford lione is tightly timed. The reason is that it can take over 20 minutes to clear this section in either direction, and similarly on the Moreton to Evesham single line section and again Evesham to Norton Jcn near Worcester. Once trains are 'out of phase', delays mount up quickly and to a significant level, sometimes the timetable does not recover until the next day...these are all points that could be drawn to the Transport Secretary's notice...

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 26 May 2008, 14:21

Igor - why dont you look on the bright side? Surely the doubling of the track wont make things worse - and could make things better. Please can everyone write to Ruth Kelly stating how much the doubling would improve the lives of all commuters on the Cotswold Line. It really is up to us now to impress on the government the necessity of the doubling.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 26 May 2008, 13:41

Again, I must express my skepticism with the reinstallation of the double track panacea.

Surely implementing "careful timetabling" is fundamental to any adjustment and the lack thereof, the cause of most delays.

Typically a 5-10 minute wait is required coming into to Oxford station on the Cotswold line while a track is freed to accommodate the incoming train. Whether or not there's a single or double rail up the track has nothing to do with with being unable to anticipate the train schedule enough to have a freed track available to accommodate regular trains.

William Crossley
👍

Sat 24 May 2008, 00:17

The reason that the cost of full redoubling would be sky-high is this would require interfering with the existing signalling systems around Oxford and Worcester - not easy technically apparently, nor cost-effective, as the Oxford area is slated for complete resignalling in about 2014 in any case and Worcester not long after that.
Yes, 95% of benefits may be optimistic, but with careful timetabling (so trains meet well into the double track) and shorter remaining single sections, there's every reason to believe the risk of delays would be radically reduced and journey times put back to where they were two or three years ago, which I think are the key things we all want to see.

Dave F
👍

Fri 23 May 2008, 17:38

Part re-instatement of double track will involve major disruption for a prolonged period as William has said. It's not just a case of plonking one track down next to the existing one, as in many places the track either slews from one side to the other, or sits in the middle of where the old two lines used to be.

It will doubtless improve the situation greatly, though of course trains will still get delayed on occasions when delays mean they happen to clash between Oxford and Finstock and Evesham and Norton Junction.

However, compared with double-tracking the whole line, I think quotes from Network Rail of 95% of the benefits with 33% of the cost are stretching it a bit.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 23 May 2008, 08:50

Sorry: even as the train PULLED INTO into the platform at 12.30.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 23 May 2008, 08:49

Thanks William, there's quite allot pertaining to performance targets to wade through to get to the specific. I note that the platform train recordings now also repeat the mantra of "single rail congestion" as the cause of all lateness on the line. Yesterday the female robotic voice repeated that the half hour delay on the 12.21 heading south was "due to single rail congestion"; even as the train published into the platform at 12.30.

William Crossley
👍

Thu 22 May 2008, 19:30

Igor,

Some of your questions about information systems and staff training were addressed at last month's meeting of the east area customer panel that Chris Bates sits on. The minutes are on the FGW website at www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=100 down at the foot of the page

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 22 May 2008, 11:18

To be decided I reckon - there is a key scheme in existance that the disabled use to access things like disabled toilets. It might be that this scheme could work whether or not the station is staffed.

Unfortunately, you need to be registered disabled to obtain said key, so it wouldn't help those that aren't....

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 21 May 2008, 08:55

Will the disabled toilets only be open during ticket office opening hours like the current ones?

Chris Bates
👍

Wed 21 May 2008, 08:47

Something that I've not yet seen here - that the station has been awarded Access for All funding to create disabled toilet facilities, with completion before the end of this year.

Chris Bates
👍

Wed 21 May 2008, 08:44

I'm sure that a public meeting could be organised to allow everyone to learn about what is planned, both by Network Rail & FGW - but let's keep our fingers crossed and letters written to ensure that this project goes ahead. It has to get approval first.

It'll be the only way to get a regular hourly service on the line.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 21 May 2008, 07:57

I'm skeptical that the reintroduction of a double rail is going to be the panacea that resolves the punctuality and increases the general efficiency of the service. It seems to be incredibly convenient for FGW to pass the problem (and associated costs), on to the governmental body. Not to mention redirecting legitimate customer grievances at National Rail.

What I want to know is what assurances FGW will make once the double rail is reintroduced that the company will keep customers up to date as to the actual comings and goings of their trains as they deviate from the published timetable.

Also, what steps are being taken to standardize the ticket prices and discounts to the extent that the revenue collectors are actually aware of the prices FGW charges for their journeys. And that station staff at stops like Oxford are kept equally informed. This has less to do with the reintroduction of a double rail and more to do with improving communications and training of personnel.

William Crossley
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 11:50

If the project is approved, what is likely to happen is an extended closure between Moreton-in-Marsh and Evesham for a good chunk of next year, certainly several months, because of the length of that section and amount of work involved.
While this is going on, there is likely to be a shuttle service Oxford-Moreton, with, hopefully, some through peak trains to and from London. Work on the Ascott-Charlbury section will involve closures along the way but not over such an extended period.
I don't think Network Rail will be attempting to work simultaneously on both.

Steve Martin
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 09:33

I have also overhead many a conversation from train managers and in the main there will be either a much reduced service at best or a complete close with replacement buses or taxis to Oxford.

There will be some pain in order to have the long term gain I think.

Given what happened last summer I very much doubt it could get worse....

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 20 May 2008, 09:15

Double Rail Trouble
I overheard two FGW managers who were traveling to Charlbury talking about the proposed double rail. I didn't hear the entire conversation but at one point one of them said quite clearly, "of course the passengers will have to put up with the stations closing down for several months while they lay the new track".

Is that really the case and if so, will FGW be providing alternative transport?

Chris Bates
👍

Mon 19 May 2008, 16:16

I've been advised to suggest that letters are written directly to Ruth Kelly at the DfT - they get read & passed to ORR.

Rt Hon Ruth Kelly MP, Secretary of State for Transport, Department for Transport, Great Minster House, 76 Marsham Street, London SW1P 4DR.

Anyone with FGW problems that I can maybe assist with, can email me here -

chrisjbates 'at' btinternet.com

replacing the 'at' with @.

David Nicholls
👍

Mon 19 May 2008, 13:34

Regarding writing to ORR in support of Network Rail's request for funds to re-double parts of the line (Chris B's post), does anyone have experience of the best way to be sure of getting through to the right people at ORR? Their website gives a general enquiries contact but I don't know how effective these are in passing things on. Many thanks

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 16 May 2008, 11:36

My mistake Chris; when you wrote that "I have been asked by FGW to become your representative on the FGW Customer Panel . . ." I naturally assumed FGW were paying you for your services as a representative.

If you are truly independent, all the better.

Regarding my prior eight compensation claims that went ignored, I've since lost track of the precise dates from 2002 until 2006. I gave up when I chased one in 2005 by telephone and after being passed around various departments was asked to provide the tickets for the journey. I explained that I had sent them in with my original compensation form, for which I had received no response and was thus chasing. To which the reply was that since the letter had apparently gone missing there was nothing more that could be done.

It's good to know that after two years there are some alternatives; however returning to my main point: the recent efforts by FGW, its staff and management are not unappreciated; albeit they are mainly arriving at the minimum standard of courtesy and compensation one should expect from a highly profitable transport company.

Let's just not ignore the central issue of punctuality.
No amount of compensation, expanded pavements, flower beds coffee wagons or even sympathetic hugs can substitute for running a train service that performs as per published schedule.

Those of us who work need to rely on a train service that also works.

We need to be at work on time and back with our families at reasonable times. When FGWs train service facilitates that objective rather than hinders it, I will the first to take off my hat to them.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 16 May 2008, 10:36

Yep, no problem with you posting your address.

Chris Bates
👍

Fri 16 May 2008, 09:19

Igor -

For clarification, I am a customer, like you & your fellow commuters, travelling daily through Oxford to London. We are independent of FGW (indeed, all train operators), and give up our time to improve the service from the customers viewpoint.

If you have reasonably detailed records, I am willing to take up old claims that haven't been answered at all. I would need date of letter, to which address sent & ideally which service you were claiming for on which date.

I will feed back your point made re PR - but in the meantime, I've heard that the ORR need all the persuasion we can give them to support Network Rail's request for funds to re-double the proposed lengrths of track on the Cotswold Line - so *please* everyone, do write in to the ORR saying just how much the single line is blighting your working life & how much redoubling would mean to you all. They are blowing rather hot & cold on this project right now.

Can a site admin please advise whether I might be permitted to post my email address here so that Line users can contact me directly?

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 16 May 2008, 03:39

Chris,
Welcome to the bullpen.
It is a good sign that FGW is willing to devote a dedicated customer relations contact as a first port of call. It's a vast improvement over the anonymous indifference some of us have encountered in the past when trying to get a response to a query from FGW.

For the record, I received compensation this week for a one hour delayed Charlbury-Oxford train at the end of April; the first such compensation I have ever received from FGW after 5 years and dozens of submissions on my part.

Another good sign.
And I await the implementation of the new May 18th efficiencies with an open mind, particularly the promised consistency in the position of the bicycle carriage at the rear of the train.

But if I may offer one small PR suggestion: currently FGW staff appear to reply to all queries regarding the arrivals or delays to train services with the mantra that it's all due to the "single track restriction". Many of us are aware of the initiative to reintroduce the double track along the line and support those efforts as far as they will contribute to a more consistent train service. However, the fact that the initiative now falls within the remit of Network Rail does not relinquish FGW from its responsibility in maintaining their own published train schedule as well as keeping waiting passengers reasonably informed as to when the schedule varies.

Although I support the efforts of all of those who are trying to make this route a consistent and reliable train service and I have noticed a marked improvement in FGW's attitude and staff responsiveness, I still must point out that of the 4 morning journeys I have taken into Oxford this week from Charlbury station, not one of them has arrived on time.

Maybe tomorrow will be better day.

Chris Bates
👍

Thu 15 May 2008, 14:41

May I be permitted to introduce myself please?

I have been asked by FGW to become your representative on the FGW Customer Panel as the CLPG are no longer interested in this position.

I also currently represent users from Banbury to Appleford as well.

I am able to take up…

William Crossley
👍

Wed 14 May 2008, 20:28

Dave, both MPs' releases are accurate and tally with my recollection of what was said at the Charlbury meeting. The redoubling would only reach about half a mile east of Charlbury. Of the 20 and a bit miles of extra double track, 16 would be Moreton to Evesham.

dave wells
👍

Wed 14 May 2008, 20:03

I may have missed this on the forum but www.cliftonbrown.co.uk/record.jsp?type=news&ID=362 and www.peterluff.org.uk/record.jsp?type=release&ID=325 detail a meeting between the MPs for The Cotswolds constituency and Mid-Worcestershire and Network Rail re re-doubling (releases dated 23 & 24 April 2008). Both releases contain address details for Bill Emery at the Office of Rail Regulation who we can contact to lobby in support of re-doubling. However rather disappointingly the releases seem to describe partial re-doubling (eg Evesham to Moreton) rather than the comprehensive scheme to the fringes of Oxford described at the recent Public Meeting. I suppose (mischieviously) that this may be due to constituency focus on behalf of the MPs. All the same, let's lobby !

Nick Burch
👍

Wed 14 May 2008, 10:35

It normally takes them 1-2 weeks to reply to me when I send in a compensation claim. Half the time they'll claim I'm not entitled, in which case I have to phone up and point out I am, they ponder it for a little bit, then they send the vouchers through another week or two later...

You could try ringing their 0845 number, and see if your letter has been entered into the system and but not yet processed?

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 13 May 2008, 10:19

I sent off a FGW form for a refund on a May 4th train that was over an hour late going into Oxford. I haven't received a reply or acknowledgment yet. How log should I wait? What should I do in the event I receive no response, considering I sent in my original tickets with the form as per requirement, what other recourse do I have?

Mike Fosdal
👍

Sun 11 May 2008, 04:18

May I add to the tales of FGW woe? On Friday - 9 May - the 10.34 to Paddington had still not reached Charlbury by 11.10 resulting - for me - in a missed lecture in London. The new information screen in the station window registered its sympathy by losing the train soon after 11 o'clock.

William Crossley
👍

Wed 7 May 2008, 20:18

Suspect it was just that the driver wasn't entirely sure on the correct braking spots, as we had overbraked passing Shipton and accelerated again running down the hill towards the point for the single line at Ascott. At least we didn't miss the platform entirely, as I have been on an HST which sailed down the hill through Charlbury station, before pulling up next to the sewage plant.

Dave F
👍

Wed 7 May 2008, 13:29

Sounds like a mis-judgement to me. They can't be easy beasts to control - I remember my same friend (who's a driver) telling me that the brake works in notches and if, for example, you select the maximum brake setting that they use in normal service at say 90mph and then take the brake fully of in the cab at 40mph the train will still have ground to a halt before the air system has filtered through the train and taken the brake blocks off the wheels! Little stations like Combe and Finstock must be a nightmare...

William Crossley
👍

Wed 7 May 2008, 13:15

We shall see... though as Ian L notes in the commuter blog, the driver of the 09.38 today decided to adopt a new stopping procedure all of his own at Charlbury, pulling up in the middle of the platform with only a couple of coaches on. I was a bit surprised to look up from the paper and see the booking office door, instead of the car park.

Dave F
👍

Wed 7 May 2008, 02:10

Hi, William. Not sure I am a day out, as I've queried what you said with my source in the industry and the staff have been briefed for an implementation date on the Saturday I mentioned. Apparently this makes sense due to the traincrew's Weekly Operational Notices taking effect from midnight each Friday night - though from a publicity point of view perhaps FGW are stating the Sunday as it makes more sense as it coincides with the timetable change?

Either way, I don't suppose it matters which day it is - just good to be going back to the original more sensible procedures, albeit slightly improved upon.

William Crossley
👍

Tue 6 May 2008, 13:27

Re Dave's post. Right weekend, but a day out. FGW staff have been instructed to make the change to stopping with standard class coaches on the platform at all times as of Sunday, May 18, when the summer timetable starts.

Dave F
👍

Tue 6 May 2008, 02:15

I have it on good authority that the revised platforming policy will come into effect on Saturday 17th May. From that date ALL services operated by a HST will stop with standard class and the main cycle storage platformed.

This will apply to all short-platformed stations, regardless of direction and whether the train is in reverse formation or not. The only exception being stations where there is a red signal at the end of the platform - this doesn't apply to Charlbury of course as the nearest signal is about 2 miles away!

William Crossley
👍

Tue 15 Apr 2008, 10:21

Sorry about introducing another error John. My typing's getting as ham-fisted as Great Western's

John Stanley
👍

Tue 15 Apr 2008, 10:08

The 1751 Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill.
Regarding William Crossley's message of 14th April, First Great Western has now confirmed to the CLPG that the 1751 will omit the Hanborough stop as from Monday 19th May. Instead, the 1821 from Paddington will call at Hanborough - the 1721 already does.
Unfortunately, the timetable booklets have gone to print containing this error, so an insert will be prepared to correct it. The mini-timetables and the posters will be correct.

William Crossley
👍

Mon 14 Apr 2008, 17:52

CLPG inform me the non-stop flyer may be an error, as the 17.51 from London is meant to lose its Hanborough stop from May, with the 17.21 calling instead, but 17.51 is still shown as calling on the timetables online at the moment. Really not sure FGW should have put them up there before ensuring they are accurate.

David Nicholls
👍

Mon 14 Apr 2008, 11:27

Many thanks to William for the very useful tip-off regarding 'London International' tickets.
Thanks too for the link to the new timetable. It's disappointing to see FGW resorting to even more padding in the timetable and cutting one of our peak northbound trains. Presumably it's an attempt to improve punctuality, but at the cost of longer journey times ...

William Crossley
👍

Wed 9 Apr 2008, 21:44

The new Cotswold Line timetable from mid-May is now online in pdf format on the FGW website.

Key changes I can see at first glance are the first train from Abergavenny and Hereford is running slightly earlier and will leave Charlbury at 07.24 but is then allowed 23 (!!) minutes to reach Oxford, inclusive of the Hanborough stop, then runs as now to London, due 08.51 - while the notorious 06.30 from London will instead leave at 6am, departs Oxford four minutes earlier and runs non-stop through Hanborough and Charlbury, presumably to make sure it's well out of the way by the time the 8.33 reaches Ascott-under-Wychwood

Other morning peak times tweaked by a minute or so.

William Crossley
👍

Mon 31 Mar 2008, 18:56

"I bought tickets for 'London International' at Oxford and no proof of Eurostar ticket was required."

You were lucky. The reason you are supposed to show your Eurostar tickets is to stop people using London International tickets as a cut-price way to travel to and from London at peak times when restrictions apply to use of other ticket types, eg Savers. A different booking clerk who is a stickler for the rules and you may not be lucky.

David Cameron MP
👍

Mon 31 Mar 2008, 12:34

I can now confirm that the meeting with FGW on Friday, 4th April will take place at the Memorial Hall in Charlbury, from 7.15 to 8.15pm

David looks forward to seeing you all there.

Kind regards,

James Meller
Research Assistant to David Cameron

J Norris
👍

Mon 31 Mar 2008, 09:54

I bought tickets for 'London International' at Oxford and no proof of Eurostar ticket was required.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Sat 29 Mar 2008, 10:23

Thank you William
I enquired at Charlbury station and they quoted me the same details as you have given. I also looked at the FGW website where it quotes a price of £32.00 and offers collection of the ticket from a 'self-service ticket machine'! It seems this option would not require evidence of Eurostar travel and I wonder if, consequently, it might not include the 'delay insurance' you quote. (I'm not a regular FGW customer but have read all these forum postings about delays and ticket machine reliability).
Any further advice appreciated.

William Crossley
👍

Fri 28 Mar 2008, 23:56

Graham,

What you need to ask for is a return to London International, NOT to St Pancras - they are not the same thing in the weird world of rail tickets.
The benefits of this are that under London International ticket conditions, you should not have to pay any more money to Eurostar if you are delayed by FGW en route to London and miss your booked train to the Continent. Also, this ticket type is valid at any time of the day, even in the early morning peak, before Savers are normally permitted on the Cotswold Line. FGW website says the going rate for a return from Charlbury is £34.
You need to have your Eurostar tickets with you when you go to buy London International tickets, to prove you are entitled to buy them and, I believe, so they can be dated to match your out and back journeys on Eurostar.
If the booking office staff are a bit hazy, insist on them looking for London International, which is in the fares system (and the FGW and National Rail online journey planners). If they still deny all knowledge, Rail magazine's ticket expert says they should look in the Fares Manual, pages E5-7.

Hope this is useful.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Fri 28 Mar 2008, 15:51

Before testing out the knowledge of FGW staff at Charlbury or Oxford I wondered if anyone here has knowledge of this situation: I have tickets for Eurostar from London International (LSPI) on 11th April, so I'm wondering if there is any special ticket that one should be offered for the return journey from Charlbury to LSPI? According to FGW website the best on offer is £32 Saver Return.

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2008, 11:08

Answer: because FGW never think ahead! I experienced a similar problem at Oxford in 2004 with tickets purchased with a Cotswold Railcard. When I complained to one of the guys on the ticket barrier I was told "Oh well, that railcard was only introduced about two years ago. The barriers haven't been reprogrammed yet to accept tickets purchased with it." Honestly, you couldn't make it up! It is the same with the information screens, the ticket machine at Charlbury - everything will be fixed at some distant and unspecified point in the future. FGW's "manana" approach would shame a Spanish railway company.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 26 Mar 2008, 08:45

Stupid Question:

Why don't they issue tickets on trains that actually work with the automatic barriers at Oxford station? I would have thought that the persistent congestion of passengers being manually processed through one manned barrier would be an obvious problem with an obvious solution.

Derek Collett
👍

Tue 25 Mar 2008, 14:32

Two minor errors in my posting: "mostly recently" should of course be "most recently" (sorry, I was tired when typing) and the "Use Railcard" button in fact just says "Railcard". Machine was working and able to sell me a ticket for use with a Cotswold Railcard as of this morning.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 25 Mar 2008, 08:58

Thanks!
My error was obviously not identifying a Cotswold rail card as the same as a Rail Card.

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 24 Mar 2008, 21:12

I have purchased Cotswold Railcard tickets from the machine at Charlbury several times in the last few weeks, mostly recently last Tuesday. What you need to do is to select your ticket in the usual way and then press the blue "Use Railcard" button towards the bottom right-hand corner of the screen. Nine railcard icons then appear on the screen. The Cotswold Railcard icon is in the top left-hand corner of the screen, or at least it was last Tuesday! If the RPOs at Oxford can't be bothered to look up the correct option on their machines, just tell them that it is the same price (i.e. 33% off) as it would be for a Network Railcard, Young Person's Railcard, etc. I do - it saves time!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 24 Mar 2008, 10:54

Still don't know if you can purchase Cotswold Rail discount tickets at the Charlbury ticket machine.

Saturday afternoon going into Oxford, couldn't purchase ticket at station, revenue officer on train was too busy and told me to pay excess fair at Oxford. At oxford station, ticket seller was unfamiliar with Cotswold discount card and therefore made me wait until he had sold tickets to everyone else who couldn't get a ticket at their station or on the train. Finally, being the final customer, he complained to me that this was the last option on his machine and therefore difficult for him to locate.

He did concur that it was in FGW's revenue interests to make their discount options as obscure and inaccessible as possible both for staff and passengers.

It took me as long to purchase a ticket for my journey as the journey itself; a delay I would ascribe to a less than adequate pricing policy and poor staff training.

Birgit den Outer
👍

Mon 24 Mar 2008, 10:31

That is really funny because we found a train in our garden shed!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 23 Mar 2008, 12:42

Eventually trundled into Reading 45 minutes late, where the screens were happily proclaiming "Object on line near Charlbury".

It was a pretty large shed (almost a stable?) - Russell, I'm sure you'll notice it missing if you walk down your drive!

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Sun 23 Mar 2008, 07:52

As far as I recall, not even Reggie Perrin managed "garden shed on the line"! He would have relished FGW.

russell robson
👍

Sat 22 Mar 2008, 21:25

Are you home Richard!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 22 Mar 2008, 15:11

I'm writing this from an HST which has been stationary by the sewage farm for some 20 mins now. This is due to a garden shed on the line.

Apparently we have to wait for Network Rail to move it, rather than pitting the weight of eight carriages and two power cars against a B&Q special.

Hey ho. At this rate the shed will blow away again before Network Rail get here.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 14 Mar 2008, 11:34

There were workmen replacing the ticket machines yesterday. It will be interesting to know if the problems with the machines are now fixed.

On the positive side, the lighting & pathway are a huge improvement for pedestrians.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 14 Mar 2008, 07:37

800,000 train delays 'cost £1bn'

Delays on the railways added up to 10,000 lost days
Rail passengers faced 800,000 delays on Britain's trains in 2006/7 and were poorly informed about them, according to the National Audit Office (NAO).
The watchdog said 14 million minutes were lost by late running trains…

Pippa Nash
👍

Thu 13 Mar 2008, 21:20

About three weeks ago I took my daughter on a lovely trip on a train. The ticket machine wouldn't dispense any tickets either, despite everyone who was waiting for the train trying with different combinations of cash/cards etc. It was a lovely sunny day. Perhaps it works when it's cloudy??

Caroline Shenton
👍

Thu 13 Mar 2008, 09:37

The ticket machine problem was complained about at the meeting with FGW and David Cameron in the Corner House and action was promised...let's see what is reported at the followup meeting.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 13 Mar 2008, 09:05

Here is a new one for the files - the fancy ticket machine does not work properly when it is raining! I think it is because the touch-screen feature is confused by water. In heavy rain, and being so exposed, I doubt that the electronics will last long either.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 12 Mar 2008, 12:59

Re: Cotswold Rail Card by ticket machine.
Attempted to purchase on Monday to no avail. No option apparent. Ticket office staff were unaware of the availability nor were able to offer advice on how to purchase other than over the counter.
Any clues?

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 5 Mar 2008, 20:57

Very trying!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 5 Mar 2008, 17:34

Will FGW be unveiling their new punctuality strategy for the Cotswold line as documented by the Oxford Mail?

tinyurl.com/2moeru

At least they're trying.

David Cameron MP
👍

Wed 5 Mar 2008, 11:37

As was mentioned at the meeting in January, Mike Carroll and Richard Rowland agreed to return to Charlbury around Easter to update you all on progress. This will now take place on Friday, 4th April at 7pm (venue tbc).

Kind regards,

James Meller

William Crossley
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2008, 20:29

Glad to hear about the Cotswold Railcard. I wrote to Andrew Haines in December about the inability of the machines at Oxford to sell tickets for use with the card and also the photocopied application forms being used at Moreton-in-Marsh - and credit to him, got a prompt, specific response - so was delighted to see this morning that a smart new form was now available with a picture of Worcester Cathedral on the front. The Cotswold card has yet to make an appearance on the railcards page of the FGW website, but fingers crossed!

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 3 Mar 2008, 13:34

Praise where it's due: the ticket machine at Charlbury can now dispense tickets bought with a Cotswold Railcard. At last I can stop pretending I am over 65!

dave wells
👍

Tue 26 Feb 2008, 07:11

Interview with Andrew Haines of FGW from last Friday's Guardian available at www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/feb/22/transport.railtravel
Am I alone in secretly enjoying the fact the photo shows no passengers at all at Paddington ? Perhaps we've been airbrushed out of by FGW's PRs as we inconvenience the smooth running of the operation ?

Dave F
👍

Mon 25 Feb 2008, 16:50

Ian L,

I think you're basically agreeing with me, BUT the trial ONLY affects the trains I mentioned, i.e. the 06:37, 07:29 and 08:33. So all other services operated by HST's (which typically have loadings that don't affect the dwell time you mentioned as much) continue to stop with the front of the train (i.e 1st class) platformed - witnessed by me on many occasions. If not, then the driver is not complying with instructions. This tallies with some reports on here regarding the 06:10 (usually an Adelante) and other later trains.

The benefit from the new procedure to be instigated shortly will be that ALL trains will have the standard class carriages platformed at all times, so when a London train is in reverse it will stop with the power car just off the platform and when its not it will run through to the relevant stop board as pre Dec 11th and the three trial trains now.

The opposite will happen to services from London. This should, in theory at least, lead to no occasions where the boarding/alighting of trains is compomised due to first class carriages being the only ones on the platform.

Ian Lewis
👍

Mon 25 Feb 2008, 15:36

Dave F,

Before 11th dec l;ast year all HST london bound services stopped with the rear 4 coaches on the platform (usually standard but can be first if in reverse formation). After 11th Dec 2007 a policy decision was made to stop the front of HSTs on the platform (ie move the stop board) so that in normal circumstances first class was on the platform. This reversal lasted approximately 3 days of the new timetable due to the outcry over increased dwell times at stations and subsequent delays. Since the first week of the new timetable we have had the situation of a 'trial' of the system we used to have except when the driver uses the previous post11dec system.

This continues to happen despite statements by FGW management
that the new system doesnt work and they will be reverting to the pre-11dec system. I also have this in black and white from FGW directly.

Dave F
👍

Mon 25 Feb 2008, 13:06

Regarding posts concerning the trains stopping point on the platform, at the moment ALL trains operated by HST's should stop with the front carriage at the end of the platform (which on London-bound trains is usually the 1st Class end). However there is a 'trial' involving the first three London bound services from Malvern/Aberganvenny meaning that they stop (as before) with the rear of the train platformed.

As you may have noticed, replacement 'stopping' board signs are now being installed at all stations with short platforms in both directions and this will allow ALL services operating by HST's to stop with the standard class carriages (and principal cycle storage area) on the platform, regardless as to whether the train is in reverse formation or not. However, the 'green' light for the change in procedure has yet to be issued to staff pending completion of the new signage and a briefing to staff.

Shelagh Scott
👍

Sat 23 Feb 2008, 19:57

Yes, we have also noticed discrepancies over compensation claims. On more than one occasion, two of use at the same address have submitted identical claims, with identical tickets, and received diffent replies - one receiving payment, and the other being refused. Recently, I had a valid claim for a cancelled train from Oxford rejected, but received the money anyway as "a token of goodwill".

Nick Burch
👍

Sat 23 Feb 2008, 11:37

Has anyone else noticed FGW avoiding paying out on compensation claims?

In the last two weeks, they've sent me letters saying that both of my claims in the period weren't covered by the passengers charter. The first time I rang up, they couldn't find my train on their system, so assumed I'd got a different one 20 minutes later (which was on time), and only after checking a second system did they admit I was delayed and send the refund. The second time, they claimed a 32 minute delay wasn't long enough, until I reminded them that Oxford to Charlbury is a journey of under an hour, then agreed to send the refund.

So, if FGW do deny your claim, it is worth ringing them to check, as they do seem to be denying valid ones due to incompetance.

Ian Lewis
👍

Tue 12 Feb 2008, 11:12

News from Worcester Mail: click here .

Ian Lewis
👍

Thu 7 Feb 2008, 22:22

The latest four week period passenger charter figures (from 6th Jan onwards) show a marked improvement in punctuality from 64% to 78%, but still the lowest of any of FGWs areas.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 4 Feb 2008, 15:40

Well here is the response I got! Not satisfactory!

"Thank you for your email. The discount scheme works in such a way that when punctuality falls below a set level, a 5% discount is triggered on season ticket renewals. The next level triggers the 10% discount, and so on. Our punctuality targets are agreed with the Department for Transport and are published, along with the results. Discounts are triggered automatically where due; no decisions are made internally prior to any discount being awarded.

Latest Passengers' Charter figures are available at staffed stations, and on the FGW website: www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=265
For the Cotswold line, London to Worcester/Hereford trains come under High Speed Services, and local trains under London & Thames Valley. Discounts are awarded to each service group if, as a whole, that group falls below the established threshold.

I appreciate that train performance on your line has not been acceptable of late. Unfortunately I am not in a position to comment on Mike Carroll's statement that it is the worst line that we operate as I do not have any factual information on train performance for individual lines. However, I will pass your email on to him and Richard Rowland, in case either would like to make any further comment."

If anyone else would like to email David Pritchard (Fares Implementation Manager) his email address is David.Pritchard@firstgroup.com

Ian Lewis
👍

Mon 4 Feb 2008, 15:00

Susie,

Probably because the public charter figures for reliability for the Thames Valley as a whole (inc Cotswold Line) are above the trigger point, but the punctuality figures are way below the trigger level, you need both to get the higher discount.

Ian L

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 4 Feb 2008, 12:46

Can anyone tell me why our discount is only 5% (upgraded to 10%) and not 10% (upgraded to 20%) and Mike Carroll admitted that our line is the worst performing in the FGW franchise. I have emailed the fares director, David Pritchard, and will post his reply on here.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 1 Feb 2008, 09:56

Re: Nick's Posting.

This has been my experience in the past: the discrepancy between FGW stated policy and what both train and station staff are actually willing to do to execute that policy. Perhaps any failures to honour refund requests can be put in front of FGW senior management upon their return to pay there and then.

John D
👍

Thu 31 Jan 2008, 20:36

With respect to John Norris' question, I concur with Susie Finch. Compensation with a season ticket is possible. My wife and I have received over £400 in vouchers over the past year, most of which was owing to the flooding in July.

Nick Burch
👍

Thu 31 Jan 2008, 20:19

My train home tonight was 45 minutes late. When it finally arrived, I asked the guard for a claim form, which after a bit of pestering he eventually went and collected. He didn't have any envelopes, so I filled it in, and tried to hand it+ticket to the staff at Oxford. They looked at me very strangely, and said they couldn't accept the form (despite Richard's discovery that they ought to), it had to go to Plymouth. Instead, they found me a freepost envelope, and directed me to the postbox.

Anyone had any luck giving one in to Charlbury instead of posting it?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 31 Jan 2008, 13:43

Yes. I have just recently received compensation for the terrible time endured by us all for November and December. All I did was send to the above named email a scanned copy of my season ticket. Took about 3 weeks to come through.

J Norris
👍

Thu 31 Jan 2008, 09:51

Do you get compensation even though you have a season ticket? My understanding was that our only compensation was the discount on renewal or where they make a special allowance (as they did recently).

John D
👍

Wed 30 Jan 2008, 21:07

I find the easiest way to claim compensation is via email, giving a written justification or complaint (no forms), along with a scanned copy of my season ticket, to fgwfeedback@firstgroup.com. This is the address given on the FGW website. Hope this is useful - it was to me!

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 30 Jan 2008, 15:52

What a good idea!!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 30 Jan 2008, 12:51

My reading of the FGW Conditions of Carriage is that you don't have to post anything to Plymouth, but that Charlbury ticket office will do. ("To qualify for this compensation you must make a claim to one of the Train Companies’ ticket offices or customer relations office within 28 days".) Nor is there anything to say you have to use one of their forms, though I guess they'd prefer it.

So... shall I add a quick and easy download-and-print form to the website, so you can keep a stack with you, fill one in when you're delayed, and post it with your ticket through the letterbox? It could potentially be prepopulated with your name and address to make it as quick as possible.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 30 Jan 2008, 12:44

FGW won't go out of business because they're not surrendering any revenue with vouchers.
The vouchers just let you use their terrible service again.
Does FGW issue vouchers for vouchers if my second journey is also delayed for more than half an hour?

If I travel without a ticket, can't I just offer to pay twice next time?

Or how about only pay when the service advertised is successfully delivered?

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 30 Jan 2008, 12:29

William - "Each unto his own" as they say. As we have both got the result we desired using our own individual methods I guess we will stick to using them in future. I know that some people find form-filling abhorrent and might have preferred my method that's all. If we all claim when the trains are late or cancelled will FGW go out of business?

William Crossley
👍

Wed 30 Jan 2008, 01:23

Derek,
Fair enough, but the compensation claim forms do exist and come with 1st class freepost envelopes, and are surely worth flagging up to those who are less used to grappling with FGW. Also the response time I have got seems quicker than your three-four weeks. I have put in two claims since the new timetable began and I had vouchers back within a fortnight in both cases.

Derek Collett
👍

Tue 29 Jan 2008, 21:31

With respect William, I don't think you're quite right about this. I have claimed compensation for late-running/cancelled services three times in the last six months (twice with FGW and once with Central Trains). Each time I simply wrote to the "Customer Service" address listed in the relevant timetable book (as you say, this is in Plymouth for FGW) and on all three occasions they sent me rail travel vouchers within about 3-4 weeks of my application. Once I even emailed FGW with my complaint, didn't send them my ticket, and they still coughed up the vouchers! The point I am making is that I have never had to fill out a form to claim compensation. I would advise anyone who is seriously delayed by FGW or whose train is cancelled to complain in the same manner - it could be worth your while. NB. I am not a season-ticket holder, if that makes a difference.

William Crossley
👍

Tue 29 Jan 2008, 14:46

Re: FGW compensation scheme. If you are delayed by more than 30 minutes on a journey of less than an hour in the Thames Valley area, including the Cotswold Line, yes, you are entitled to compensation, but as with compensation for individual tickets, you have to fill in a form (available at stations) and post it to Plymouth.
For full terms and conditions, see section 5.5 at this web page www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=442

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 29 Jan 2008, 10:01

Is that on the spot i.e. at your destination station or do you have to fill out a multitude of forms and pray that FGW eventually responds?

The latter has always been my previous experience. In 6 years of traveling on FGW network I have never ever received an apology much less a refund for services delayed up to 3 hours.

J Norris
👍

Tue 29 Jan 2008, 09:48

You can claim a refund if you are delayed by more than 1 hour (cost of single / half of return ticket) or 2 hours (cost of return).

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 29 Jan 2008, 07:54

James,

We understand that compensation is being offered for season ticket holders but what about anyone purchasing a ticket for travel on a day when FGW if unable to deliver its service within a reasonable time frame. If I purchase a ticket for a train that is over half an hour late beyond the scheduled time, will I be given a refund?

And if not, why not?

David Cameron MP
👍

Mon 28 Jan 2008, 18:32

David has received an update from FGW detailing progress made on commitments given at the meeting in Charlbury:

• A review of the cycle policy and process for securing bikes in the High Speed Trains has started
  • The 0530 Great Malvern - Paddington (0637 at Charlbury) is now stabled overnight at Hereford
  • The morning service is under review to see whether changes can be made to improve performance
  • We announced a doubling of compensation for the next 12 months and a freezing of prices until the end of the year
  • Work on the car park commenced at Charlbury last week to widen the access road and create a footpath from the main road to the station, lighting for the footpath and increasing the area with tarmac in the main car park.

Kind regards,

James Meller
Research Assistant
David Cameron's Office

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 28 Jan 2008, 11:17

Until FGW (the most profitable train franchise in the country) can demonstrate even an average level of comparable efficiency, it's just all easy talk.

Congrats to More Train Less Strain for having the courage to actually do something about it.

They're getting results.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Mon 28 Jan 2008, 11:12

RAIL PEAK SERVICE PUNCTUALITY
TOC Jul-Sep '07 Jul-Sep '06
c2c 97.8% 95.7%
Chiltern Railways 93.0% 89.7%
First Capital Connect 89.0% 87.1%
First Great Western 71.0% 74.6%
One 89.9% 85.2%
Silverlink 93.6% 92.8%
Southeastern 91.1% 90.6%
Southern 90.8% 90.6%
South West Trains 92.3% 89.7%
Source: Office of the Rail Regulator

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 28 Jan 2008, 10:06

Was it your fried egg or your fried bread that you took into Oxford?!!! One in the eye for those who say that spelling doesn't matter!

graham W
👍

Fri 25 Jan 2008, 23:45

Last weekend my fried & I took the train into Oxford on Arrival at the station the display board showed that the train was 1 hour late and then we debated whether to go in by taxi or drive. A number of people on the platform took taxi's into Oxford ( a good day for local taxis). Then about 1 minute before the train was scheduled it turned up (my god a minute early), however my comments are that FGW deserve to lose customers and no wonder people are fed up with public transport. Me I'll stick to my car, cheaper, reliable and comfortable

John Stanley
👍

Fri 25 Jan 2008, 17:28

Oxford Evening Out
First Great Western has advised that there has been a problem with the the "Oxford Evening Out" ticket and that, unfortunately, its introduction has had to be delayed. Although the details of the problem have not been fully explained, it appears to relate to the fact that the ticket is to be valid between Oxford and Banbury. As it will be available on trains of other operators, it needs their agreement and this does not appear to have yet been received.
This is to be an evening rover ticket, so for £3, you could go as far as Banbury, Bicester Town, Kingham or Didcot Parkway, not just to Oxford.
I will post another entry when confirmation is received that the Oxford Evening Out ticket is available.

Caroline Shenton
👍

Thu 24 Jan 2008, 10:57

I would like to thank Richard Fairhurst for concocting the commuter blog, which not only allows us to lower our collective blood pressures by venting, but also has paid such massive dividends in both publicising the problems, and getting our problems heard by the right people at the right level. Thanks Richard!

Andrew Partridge
👍

Thu 24 Jan 2008, 07:57

Was anything mentioned at the GWR meeting on Friday about the study that is supposed to be being undertaken to assess the feasibility of putting a second line in the three places where there is single track?

brian
👍

Thu 24 Jan 2008, 07:29

FGW have come out bottom of the league for 'custmer satisfaction' - SHOCK - HOW CAN THAT BE?? There must be something wrong with these surveys surely.
Try buying an OXFORD EVENING OUT ticket next time you travel into Oxford after 18.25 - no one has 'downloaded' the information into any of the ticket-issuing machines OR informed any of the staff about this wonderful promotion!

Andrew Partridge
👍

Thu 24 Jan 2008, 01:36

John Stanley's info on low cost tickets is interesting. Does anyone know if they can be bought from the ticket machine. The Oxford Evening Out ticket sounds great, but as the ticket office closes early afternoon you presumably either have to buy the ticket in advance at the office or at the machine. I like the idea of the Rover Ticket - a good idea for the summer with the kids bored at home. Shame it does not include the London Underground. Has anyone used the Bus Plus facility?

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 23 Jan 2008, 17:18

I think Birgit's point is why should we be jumping up and down in gratitude when a train company that achieves high profits from what it charges its customers acknowledges that it doesn't actually deliver its remit very well.

And then promises that it'll try and do better.
Surely as customers we are entitled to receive what we're paying so extravagantly for.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 23 Jan 2008, 12:56

FGW are very very bad but sadly they're not (in my experience) unique. I couldn't say whether, over the last 10 years, it's been FGW or the late unlamented Central Trains who have caused me more wasted hours on platforms...

Birgit den Outer
👍

Wed 23 Jan 2008, 12:34

Hear, hear! It is a result but one that is so redicuously overdue, the level of enthusiasm about it is rather surprising. Only when regular commuters like my husband stop wasting their lives waiting for trains, waiting to get to meetings, waiting to get home and see their children, the priviledge for which they spend more money than customers do anywhere else in Europe, is there a result. Why are people so tolerant in this country? So easily pleased? The fact that they are possibly explains why it has been possible that for so long there has been such a shockingly bad train system, where we live provided by FGW.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Wed 23 Jan 2008, 12:15

Yesterday it was "Meet the Managers" at Oxford station. Following the announcement that they would be giving greater discounts to season ticket holders, I asked if that was for a year (annual season ticket holders would get a huge discount) or only on the renewal of your next season ticket, be it monthly or termly. I have just received a reply and it states "Following on from your question at Oxford station yesterday, I am pleased to confirm that the double discount will apply to every renewal on your monthly season ticket until 26th January 2009". So good news on this front!!

Igor Goldkind
👍

Wed 23 Jan 2008, 11:15

Not to rain on anyone's parade Richard, but the context has got to be the number of years the forum has chronicled complaints and inefficiencies with FGW service that fell on deaf ears at FGW. Not to mention the number of direct complaints outside the forum that were made to FGW about their perpetual lateness that largely went ignored.

It wasn't until train users in Bath, Bristol and finally Oxford actually began to organise boycotts and direct customer actions that FGW finally began to take notice that they might have an accountability to their customers as well as their shareholders.
Especially when the former might start having a financial impact on the latter.

I wouldn't underestimate the impact of having a particularly high profile local MP to bringing attention to the issue either, but the fact remains that FGW still runs the most expensive and inefficient train service in the country.

Admitting fault and drawing up promises at a public meeting is relatively cost free
Actually delivering a competent level of service might take a little more effort.

All I'm saying is let's see whether FGW or not can match it's promises with results.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 22 Jan 2008, 22:32

I appreciate Igor's caution, but I do think this is a result to be proud of.

We are just one set of voices: the Bristol and Bath group, the Oxford commuters, the overcharged Thames Valley season ticket holders, Passenger Focus et al have all been rightly vociferous, too. But nonetheless you can imagine the effect at FirstGroup headquarters when they heard that the current favourite for the next Prime Minister had summoned FGW's bosses to explain their performance at a public meeting. That was largely due to the pressure exerted by Charlbury travellers, and in particular, those on this website. I wouldn't like to be the person at FGW who picked up the call from Moir Lockhead (FirstGroup boss) after that!

The promised reversion to standard-at-the-front is one "quick win" (written up in another excellent story by William Crossley for the Oxford Mail). Several of the matters under consideration - longer opening hours, stabling at Worcester and Hereford, car park improvements - would be, if implemented, improvements over the situation even a few years ago, let alone the dire level to which the service has recently sunk. I'm not getting my hopes up for the redoubling (whispers suggest that it may be confined to the western half of the line and a small bit at Wolvercote) but even so, it has great potential.

Full credit to David Cameron for something that does him great credit as a constituency MP.

David Cameron MP
👍

Tue 22 Jan 2008, 17:45

Re: Cotswold Line public meeting – Corner House, Charlbury
Friday, 18th January 2008

Thank you for attending the meeting on Friday. I was glad to see so many of you there – it sent a very clear message to FGW. Given the unacceptable level of service we have all had…

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 22 Jan 2008, 17:02

Check this out as well - looks as if something will be happenning in Charlbury after all news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/oxfordshire/7202321.stm

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 22 Jan 2008, 15:54

Check out the FGW website www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/NewsItem.aspx?id=581 - it seems that they will be giving back to season ticket holders about 10 - 20% of the fare and holding prices until the end of this year. OxRailAction are now not sure if they are going ahead with the fare strike in view of this.

Mark Purcell
👍

Tue 22 Jan 2008, 10:18

There is a proposed fare strike on FGW trains next Monday 28 January, including Bath, Oxford, Frome, Yatton and Yate. Details are here:

oxrailaction.wordpress.com/

Oxrail Action are urging all travellers to show their support for the strike by refusing to show their valid ticket (although they should have one on them) and instead presenting the alternative FARE STRIKE ticket to First Great Western officials on the train as a protest. Fare strike ticket holders should gang together when they get to their destination station and go through the barriers together.

Tickets can be obtained in advance from Ox Rail Action member Zahra Akkerhuys, in Oxford, on 07974 313566 or More Train Less Strain campaign organiser Tony Ambrose 07816 588287.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Tue 22 Jan 2008, 10:05

I'll be impressed and keep thanking everyone when I see some results.

It's easy to say 'sorry', like the comical "we apologise for the inconvenience' that's played as a soundtrack for every late running train.

Try telling your employer you're sorry for their inconvenience every time you're late to work due to a late trains and see how far that gets you.

John D
👍

Mon 21 Jan 2008, 20:52

Well I don't know what Merry Tony is on but I counted at least 70 people at Friday's meeting and must thank Mr Cameron for arranging it and Mr Carroll and his colleagues for their frankness.

Let us now see FGW's commitments turned into positive action!

tony merry
👍

Mon 21 Jan 2008, 20:36

I found last Fridays meeting both interesting and informative but hope that the promised follow up on all the issues raised is forthcoming as promised
By the way is there any truth in the rumour that FGW may lose the franchise for the Cotswold Line to the Ninky Nonk ? I see they have a very strong bid and as they say 'Its Fun to Travel by Ninky Nonk !'
For those of you who are not familiar with the Ninky Nonk see the following link
www.bbc.co.uk/cbeebies/inthenightgarden/
If nothing else it would give us some interesting travelling companions and seems particularly suited to the Whychwood Forest
- The Ninky Nonk is a train of five differently sized and shaped carriages. In comparison to the trees and other flora of the forest, it is clearly quite small, but the main characters can easily fit inside it. Seat belts are provided in all carriages, and given how much the Ninky Nonk is seen to shake about on its journeys around the forest, are clearly necessary. When it stops or starts, the seat-belted passengers jerk sharply in their seats. The accompanying loud klaxons warn everyone inside. The Ninky Nonk can drive up and down trees and upside-down along branches. The Ninky Nonk seems to stop and go on its own, and, like the other characters, "goes to sleep", hinting that it may be a sentient machine

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 21 Jan 2008, 14:03

Just to let you all know, Radio Oxford will be at the station tomorrow at about 7.15am, so if you wish to be interviewed and put your point across, please make your way to the Radio van - it will be obvious! They are intending to be there for some time, so if you catch a later train you can still be interviewed.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 21 Jan 2008, 14:01

Victoria - it was standing room only, as you may have guessed. FGW on David Cameron's insistence have promised to come back after Easter and give us an update on where they have got to!!

victoria bull
👍

Mon 21 Jan 2008, 13:32

i wonder how many people were able to attend the meeting last week. As I was away on business, I asked my husband (not a commuter) to attend in my absence, but he was not free at 4.30. Had he known that the time had been changed, he could have gone to the meeting, but the it doesn't seem to have been advertised publicly and I only knew about it from this website. Strange - Surely FGW wanted as many people as possible to come!

Ian Lewis
👍

Thu 17 Jan 2008, 11:45

In case I dont get the meeting....I will be travelling via a FGW train after all!

1. Why has punctuality on the Cotswold line plummeted in recent years despite three attempts at fixing the timetable. The single line has been here since the 1970s and certainly hasnt changed since 2001 when the service performance was much better. The single line may be the cause of difficulties but is not the cause of the serious degradation in performance seen in the last two years.

2. Since First have announced increased profit from their rail operations in the last quarter of 2007 do they think it appropriate to massively increase fares in a period when performance has dropped to unprecedented levels?

3. Staffing, every year we see a new timetable introduced along with huge numbers of train cancellations due to staff unavailability, given the reliance on staff overtime and the reluctance of staff to work overtime between autumn half term and xmas, can FGW explain why they cannot run a service without the reliance on staff overtime?

4. Timetable padding, timetable journey times are increasing year on year but still the trains run late!

5. Train information systems are either broken or giving incorrect information. The tannoy announcements either dont work or give out of date information. The 'new' displays at Charlbury and Oxford are still not reliable and often show out of date information or a computer error message.

6. Tickets issued at Charlbury often do not work in the barriers at Oxford.

7. Can FGW confirm that the new timetable introduction of only first class carriages being platformed at short stations has been abandoned? Certainly this morning only the rear standard carriages were platformed.

dave wells
👍

Tue 15 Jan 2008, 13:47

I would like to know what FGW stats are for reliability, "on-time" etc, and the criteria for these. I would also like to know how they compare to other rural lines run by FGW, the main causes of problems and details of timing and nature of FGW initiatives intended to address the problems. Finally I would like to know the average timetabled duration of a journey from Worcester, Charlbury and Oxford to Paddington, and how this compares to timetables from Brunel's days as well as the recent past.

Ian Lewis
👍

Mon 14 Jan 2008, 21:04

Another Meet the manager session, this time at Charlbury, 0700-0900 7th March 2008, details from the FGW website.

David Cameron MP
👍

Mon 14 Jan 2008, 17:35

We have managed to put back the rail meeting in Charlbury on 18th January to 18.15 - 19.15, in the hope that more people will be able to attend.

Kind regards,

James Meller

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 14 Jan 2008, 17:26

Susan - there are plans to introduce this. The details are on the CLPG noticeboard to the right of the station building. I agree with you that the situation (particularly on winter evenings) is very dicey and I am amazed that no-one has been seriously hurt as a result of the current situation.

John Stanley
👍

Mon 14 Jan 2008, 12:05

NEW ROVER TICKETS
Without any publicity, as far as I am aware, on 2nd January, First Great Western introduced three new Rover tickets which are available from Charlbury.

OXFORD EVENING OUT
Price £3.00 (Child £1.50). £2.00 with Senior, Young Persons, Disabled Persons or Network Railcard.
Valid after 1825 (every day) in the area bounded by Kingham, Banbury, Bicester Town and Didcot Parkway. So, an evening trip to Oxford costs £3.00 instead of the normal Cheap Day Return fare of £5.20. Just ask for an "Oxford Evening Out" ticket.

THAMES ROVER
A 3 or 7 day Rover costing £40 or £70 respectively (Children half price and 34% discount for holders of Senior, Young Persons, Disabled Persons or Network Railcards). Valid on the 0938 (0907 to Moreton-in-Marsh) or later train on weekdays or any train at weekends. Covers a vast area stretching from Moreton-in-Marsh to London Paddington (including the Thames branch lines), Redhill, Basingstoke, Bedwyn, Banbury and Bicester Town.

OXFORDSHIRE DAY RANGER.
A one day runabout, costing £15.00 (Child £7.50), £9.90 with Senior, Young Persons, Disabled Persons or Network Railcard. Covers the area from Moreton-in-Marsh to Reading and includes Banbury and Bicester Town. Valid on the 0938 (0907 to Moreton-in-Marsh) or later train on weekdays or any train at weekends.

These must be FGW's best kept secrets!

Susan Way
👍

Mon 14 Jan 2008, 10:12

I'd also like to know what plans there are to build a pedestrian route in and out of the station that doesn't involve walking between parked and moving cars. (Preferably one that doesn't involve felling all the cherry trees). I don't know how FGW have got away with the current arrangements for so long.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 12 Jan 2008, 01:44

Although this would have been a wonderful idea if the timing was right - can I ask you all to email David Cameron at camerond@parliament.uk to ask if he could change the timing of the meeting, bearing in mind he wishes to get the views of the commuters across to FGW and by having the meeting at a time when the majority of rail users can attend.

William Crossley
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 23:25

John,

I would love to give you good news about a sensitively-designed route across the line if double track returns, but I am afraid that a horror like the one I use at Moreton is probably what you would get, though hopefully not painted battleship grey!

Why?

Disabled/pushchair access for one, hence the ramps and steps combination at Moreton. Even though we still have a flat crossing on the tracks at Moreton, in clear view of the signalbox, it is now effectively a no-go zone for passengers.

Using pavements on road bridges in such situations is increasingly seen as a no-no on safety grounds by highways departments, due to sudden appearance of crowds of people alongside the road when a train has arrived. I believe there is talk of building a footbridge at Kidderminster station precisely because this is what happens at the moment when a train from Birmingham has arrived - though must be said the street there is far busier than the Burford road ever gets.

Also the idea of cars waiting on the road to pick people up in such a situation would get highways very alarmed. And let's be honest, no amount of double yellow lines would deter people from doing this.

As for progress on the double track study, as I wrote in the Oxford Mail last month, Network Rail say they will reveal their thinking next month. See
www.oxfordmail.net/search/display.var.1900474.0.rail_ideas_run_late.php

John D
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 21:12

I cannot attend such an early meeting on a weekday, being a commuter who works in London. Nevertheless I would like to ask Mr Cameron to seek FGW's views on the relative performance of the Cotswold Line with respect to other routes run by FGW and against other train franchisees.

I also understand that Network Rail has been undertaking studies into improving the reliability of this line. Can Mr Cameron seek the latest information from Network Rail as to the outcome of this study?

Thirdly, Charlbury has a unique station with a particular character and 'feel'. Can Mr Cameron seek assurances that we will benefit from extended platforms on both the new tracks and a 'low visual impact' footbridge that matches the traditional look? (ie: not like Moreton in Marsh, nor like Kings Sutton). Indeed, to make use of the side arches of the river bridge as an underpass but properly protected against floodwaters, OR the existing road bridge, could be sensible economic solutions

Ian Lewis
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 18:11

Latest passenger charter figures for 9 December-5th Jan is 64% 'on time' for the Thames Valley including the Cotswold line, a further degradation in performance (this figure has been monotonically decreasing since August when it was a poor 79%).

This week FFirst group rail operations reported a 10% rise in rail revenue (London evening standard) during Oct,Nov,Dec before the recent fare increases took place.

Something for DC to consider?

Ian Lewis
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 18:00

Also, 22nd Jan Oxford station, meet the managers session.

Derek Collett
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 17:00

Others may well disagree with me but I would have thought the questions that need to be asked next Friday could usefully be grouped under six main headings:

1. Delays
2. Cancellations
3. Overcrowding/onboard facilities
4. Station facilities (esp. information systems)
5. Staffing and management
6. What does the future hold? (or Will the Costwold Line ever get better?)

It's a starting point for discussion if nothing else!

victoria bull
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 13:18

Thanks to David Cameron for organising a meeting. Unfortunately I will be away on business, but even if I were back, 4.30 is too early for me unless I took half a day's leave. (And FGW have already taken far too much of my time away.) I suspect that this is true for most commuters, and only an evening meeting would be suitable.

J Norris
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 12:00

Well done to Dave Cameron.

Igor Goldkind
👍

Fri 11 Jan 2008, 11:00

Why not post specific questions to be posed on this thread and those of us who can attend will ask on your behalf?

It will also serve as a record of questions that should be answered.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 10 Jan 2008, 22:40

Thanks to David Cameron for organising this meeting, which is long overdue. Only wish it was at a more realistic time for the majority of commuters. In order to get to this meeting, albeit late, passengers would have to catch the 15.51 train from Paddington, or 16.49 from Oxford. Only way I can get there on time is to use the bus from Oxford! Any chance of it being a bit later?

dave wells
👍

Thu 10 Jan 2008, 20:33

Many thanks to Mr Cameron for getting involved and encouraging FGW to engage in dialogue with their customers. I work in London (and use the service everyday). Next Friday I would need to leave my office at 1pm to catch the 1351 from Paddington in order to attend the meeting. Assuming the train ran on time it would arrive at Charlbury at 1507. The next train from London is the 1551 timetabled to arrive at 1707. Please accept my apologies that I will not be able to attend. I look forward to seeing minutes on the forum.

David Cameron MP
👍

Thu 10 Jan 2008, 17:43

In view of the continued problems with the service and in the wake of the December '07 timetable, David has asked for a public meeting with Mike Carroll (Managing Director) and Richard Rowland (Regional Manager) from First Great Western (FGW). It has been arranged for Friday, 18th January 2008 (4.30 - 5.40pm) at the Corner House, Charlbury.

David is keen for it to be an opportunity for constituents to quiz FGW about the current state of the service, so if you can make it please come along. He will be posting a full comment, following the meeting.

Kind regards,

James Meller

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.