Charlbury Beating of the Bounds Tragedy

Tony Graeme
👍

Sun 30 Dec 2007, 18:28

Thanks for that infomation Susan.I'll note the date and try to listen in.
This seems an opportune time to say that because of the early Easter the 2008 Boundary Walk will be on Sunday 27 April (Rogation Sunday).
The weather put paid to the last two years' walks, but we don't want the custom to die out so, potential walkers, make a note of the date.
Tony

susan leckie
👍

Sun 30 Dec 2007, 18:18

Hello
Radio Scotland are broadcasting an item about the tragedy on the 27th January in a programme which starts at 11:05am.
Ron Prew (Charlbury Museum) was interviewed for the programme about the drowning of the three young people on the 29th May 1924.
The programme can be heard, via the Internet, and may be of interest to Forum members and folk who know about the accident from articles in the 1999 Charlbury Chronicle commemorating the 75th Anniversary.
My Great Aunt, Evelyn Clara Pickett, died along with the two young boys and a Memorial stone (still standing) was erected to them, paid for by public subscription - a generous gesture by a traumatised community.
Thank you to everyone who have helped with my family history research.
Susan

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.