Wilderness Festival Residents Telephone Number

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 17 Aug 2018, 08:45

Ah, that explains how I got in without paying! Yes the facilities were dreadful, and I do remember crawling through thousands of pairs of legs to get near the stage so that I could hear something.

Rod Evans
👍

Fri 17 Aug 2018, 00:21 (last edited on Fri 17 Aug 2018, 00:33)

Not 'strictly Charlbury' but a reply to Hannen, comparing Wilderness to the IoW festival in 1970. I was there too (man!), saw Miles, Tull, Who, Doors, Joni, Cohen, Hendrix etc - what a line up! But don't kid yourself it was free or that the organisers did it for 'lurve'. Weekend tickets cost all of £3 originally (have the poster to prove it) but they were overwhelmed by the numbers (500,000+ if memory serves), the local authority's demands and in particular a bunch of French anarchists who naively insisted 'music should be free' and broke down the fencing - so it was declared a free festival and the promoters went bankrupt. Despite that, the Hell's Angels who so upset Joni and by current standards, the tiny sound system - it was an amazing experience for one 17 year old, if with somewhat hazy memories...

It was billed as The Last Great Event. Never quite understood why but at the end of the 60s and with all that followed, in a way it was. But also present - and though I only met him at Exeter Uni a bit later - was one John Giddings, the man who now runs the 'revived' festival each year. He probably wouldn't admit it but partly because he was there...

Hannen, we're in a different time. My son's just off to Green Man - and has twice been to Burning Man so is seriously dismissive of Wilderness. It is ridiculously expensive - but I love its variety and quirkiness despite the justified 'poshstock' label. IoW though was by no means all 'peace and love', the loos were just trenches, the food unspeakable, the sound at times inaudible - but good to know we started it eh?!

Paul Taylor
👍

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 05:57

I would like to also thank the Wilderness festival we heard nothing until Sunday afternoon and then it was only until about 11pm no sleep problems at all. And we would not mind this every year if it stays like that well done Wilderness

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 15 Aug 2018, 10:37

Fair point Chris I understand, it's nice you've not chosen to criticise anyone else for having an opinion.

Alan Wilson
👍

Wed 15 Aug 2018, 09:38

Michael, I'm happy to join you in thanking MAMA for avoiding any major cock-ups this year, as far as I know. Well done, them. (I must admit I would thank them more if they went somewhere else next year, but we all have our personal preferences.)

But I don't agree with your assessment that there was hardly a hum to be heard from the site - perhaps I am not one of the "best-known" objectors you refer to. I went away for the weekend to escape from the worst of the noise, but I could certainly hear it loud and clear on Thursday before leaving, on Sunday night when I returned, and indeed on Monday evening after I thought everybody was supposed to have left the site.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Wed 15 Aug 2018, 08:13

On Sunday afternoon, we walked our dogs across Cornbury to Finstock.

No-one who hadn't been there a week earlier would have guessed 30-odd thousand people had been there bopping, singing, helping us or building the capacity to hold all those people. In fact, there was hardly a sign that any humans at all had been there for weeks.

This year, there was scarcely a hum to be heard from the site - as even the best-known objectors to its noise concede. There was less nocturnal disorder on our streets than an average Saturday. Local tickets turned miraculously into armbands, painlessly - for the first time I can remember. The leavers on the Monday made less mess in the Deli than last year - and spent five times more than they'd ever coughed up in the old shop.

And even contractors' vehicles. Thanks to the signs that people are STILL moaning about, far fewer accidentally clogged up Park St than I can remember. And I bet I'm not the only Charlburian more worried about getting my car thwocked by a 40-tonner than by seeing a few signs telling drivers where to go.

MAMA worked a blinder this year. They've every right to be proud of themselves. I'd like to thank them publicly - and it'd be really nice to hear someone else joining in.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 14 Aug 2018, 19:49

Wilderness, the quintessentially English local Festival, is owned by MAMA Festivals Limited, who in turn are a subsidiary of an American Company. So what? But it's sometimes interesting to know who is behind these "local" festivals.
You can find out more at Companies House.
I think I've lost interest.

Chris Tatton
👍

Tue 14 Aug 2018, 16:36

The signs have all been taken down now the contractors have finished dismantling the festival site. Seems sensible to leave the contractor signs up until the site is cleared, so as few HGV's get lost in the centre of Charlbury as possible.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 14 Aug 2018, 14:33

The Countryfile Live ones are all still about too

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 14 Aug 2018, 12:57 (last edited on Tue 14 Aug 2018, 13:02)

On my way out of Charlbury this morning first time for a while I was shocked to see Enstone Crossroads and approach roads still littered with all the old Wilderness signs!! This really is disgraceful... for one moment I thought I.must been dreamimg and it hadn't yet happened but thankfully it's all over and done with.....having read the posts here I'm not the only one to be surprised.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Tue 14 Aug 2018, 06:28

The best contact for information on Wilderness (and sign removal et al) is Christine Wilson. Her email is CW@cpark.co.uk

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 22:40 (last edited on Mon 13 Aug 2018, 22:42)

As I said, Charlotte only sails in here to keep Charlbury residents sweet whilst the festival is on. If she replies at this point it will be a miracle!

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:57

Perhaps Charlotte can enlighten us?

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:51

Yes, Christine, how do we do that?

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:50

Apologies. 40,000 was purely anecdotal, taken from the Deli newsletter. Yes, Christine, good point, as usual.

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:48

Thank you, Andrew. Interesting that all the festival websites (festivalmag, efestivals, nextfest etc.) still list 10,000 as the maximum. But I see you are right, and 30,000 became the maximum in 2014.

I assume the websites are wrong & that the numbers did not go back down again ... but, if so, something seems to have gone wrong with Wilderness' publicity.

It would be interesting to get some figures as to how many actually attended this year.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:45

Site capacity isn't just paying audience. That figure includes performers, vendors, medics, stewards (even if they're volunteers), and crew.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 12:00

Capacity was certainly upped to 30,000 in 2014 - perhaps it's more still now.

Christine Battersby
👍 1

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 11:25

Where on earth does that figure of 40,000 come from? The size of the Wilderness Festival is capped at 10,000. Or has something changed?

And even if it were 40,000, not everyone pays £200 per ticket; young people, locals & children do not, nor the many performers & volunteers. In any case, that would be gross profit. Out of that the bands, the performers, the security, the sound system etc etc have to be paid.

And, yes, I realise that Wilderness also has other income streams, but the figures floated here are highly misleading. And as for Hannen's nostalgia for the IoW free festivals, would he really like 600,000+ festival goers on his doorstep? I think not!

Alan Wilson
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 10:09

£8 million? No wonder they seem to prefer to leave all the traffic signs lying around to rot, rather than try to save a few pennies by collecting them up to re-use next time....

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 13 Aug 2018, 09:57

If they have another 40,000 that works out at about £8 million for ticket sales alone. So they are hardly likely to let that go. Sorry, I don't know who "they" are. Neither do I care.
I don't mind the "Festival" but the constant stream of lorries to and from, in front of my house is mildly irritating.
Being of another generation I wonder why people pay so much. I attended (living in Notting Hill Gate then)the IoW Festival in 1970. Hitched lifts there and back. Saw Jimi Hendrix, The Who, Joni Mitchell etc. Apart from the 2 shillings and sixpence I had to pay for the return ferry it cost me nothing. Which was just as well because that's all I had on me!
Free entrance, and free food. Of course it was an economic disaster for the organisers, but they didn't do it to make money. They did it to make people happy. A strange concept now.
Perhaps some of the takings (say a £million) could be given to the Town Council for the benefit of the Town's infrastructure and e.g. the Corner House and WMH and Community Centre?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 12 Aug 2018, 23:43

Early bird tickets are already on sale - so I guess it was just a rumour! https://www.wildernessfestival.com

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 12 Aug 2018, 22:22 (last edited on Sun 12 Aug 2018, 22:25)

I wonder whether Charlotte read your comments of praise. Maybe you will have to wait till next year! She'll probably be on to the next event by now!

Miranda Higham
👍

Sat 11 Aug 2018, 08:10

In enthusiastic agreement here. Can't wait again till next year's festival. My personal highlights were Jon Hopkins and the Sadler's Wells performance of Shechter's Clowns.

David Cook
👍

Fri 10 Aug 2018, 15:29

Hi Charlotte, great festival, even better than last year, you need to scotch the rumours ref it being the last, I am already planning for next year

David

Tony Graeme
👍

Sun 5 Aug 2018, 11:17

Just to continue on the theme of pedestrians around the Festival Site: Apart from the excellent maps at the North Lodge footpath gate and the Fishery car park, we seem to have gone backwards from the final signage last year. On Thursday at least, when the footpath closure / diversion was already in operation, there was no sign for the right turn off the Southill Drive or indication at the top of the 'drop - off' area. For anyone coming from the direction of Finstock there was no map (or indication at all) of the diversion. To his credit the boy who was directing / controlling traffic along the exit route was able to give me the correct answer when I asked what he would say to walkers wanting the route towards Charlbury (No he wasn't a local, he came from Birmingham).

Claire Taylor
👍

Sun 5 Aug 2018, 11:07

I completely agree there needs to be an imposed speed limit, Rod, however in this instance I was referring to the main driveway (past the gates), which is fenced off from festival goers! You're right in saying how narrow the rest of the driveway and roads through the park are, I had a few close calls with pedestrians trying to squeeze through the narrow fenced road with all their belongings (when I really was going 5mph!). Interestingly I was following a taxi out for some of the way, who shot off just before we entered the main driveway - he didn't get stopped for 'speeding'.

Rod Evans
👍

Sun 5 Aug 2018, 02:04 (last edited on Sun 5 Aug 2018, 11:25)

Charlotte
Not much point in a 5 mph limit if it isn't well signed (cf Claire's post) or policed. Try walking (Claire!) between the gates at North Lodge and the road. A speeding taxi's wing mirror hit my daughter's arm - she was behind me and he'd gone before I realised. The taxis especially go fast for obvious reasons - but it's never a happy route.

A pinch point also at the top, on the way to Green gate, where - guess who - a taxi - ignored me on my way home. Surely the fencing could be set back more to allow for pedestrians??

Final whine. No point also in a 'turn right only' sign at the top of the drive if it isn't policed. Guess who's driving furiously through town at 02.00? Taxis!!

But hey, a wonderful day's music, where else could you go from Beethoven's Fifth to boogie blues to West Africa to hip hop - not to mention the main stage - just a shame so few there to see Patchwork Jazz Orchestra - stonking big band - and a late surprise with Letters Live - what's not to like??

And so to bed!

Claire Taylor
👍

Fri 3 Aug 2018, 13:37

In case it's of use to anyone, there's apparently a 5mph speed limit around the Cornbury grounds while Wilderness is taking place. There are no signs (that I saw) saying this, but I've just been told off by an incredibly patronising young lady after I had driven at around 15mph along the long, wide & completely empty drive down to the north lodge on my way back from the business park. The more you know...

Paul Taylor
👍

Fri 3 Aug 2018, 12:50

And possibly the last (Big rumours going around)

Suzy M-H
👍

Fri 3 Aug 2018, 09:59

Only a five minute wait at the box office this year while the guy behind the counter searched for local residents wrist bands. Best year so far!

Miranda Higham
👍

Thu 2 Aug 2018, 19:48 (last edited on Thu 2 Aug 2018, 20:21)

Warning, if are entering from town on foot you are not allowed to take alcohol in. It will be confiscated.Nor food!

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Wed 1 Aug 2018, 23:23

Hi Andrew, if you head there for 12 O'Clock you should be able to exchange your wristbands. If you are cycling in from Charlbury, head to the Green Box Office as indicated on the map link below.

All the best,

Charlotte

Stephen Andrews
👍

Wed 1 Aug 2018, 14:29

What time will we be able to reliably exchange tickets for Wristbands?

I see the Gates are open at midday, but the car parks from 10am? I intend to cycle up, planning to go up later, so do not want a wasted trip. Thanks

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Wed 1 Aug 2018, 12:34 (last edited on Wed 1 Aug 2018, 12:38)

Sorry everyone for the entrance map, please click the link below and head to section 'Map of Festival Gates and Box offices"

https://www.wildernessfestival.com/info/category/getting-here/

Andrew Chapman
👍

Wed 1 Aug 2018, 10:18

Ironic: the map link says 'access denied'.

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Tue 31 Jul 2018, 23:44

Hi Suzy,

You will be able to exchange your wristbands at any of the box offices on the map in the link below. If you are walking from Charlbury you can use the North Lodge Pedestrian Entrance and head up to the Green Box Office (also on the map below). Unfortunately at the time we distribute the tickets we do not have the wristbands designed and produced as this often happens much later in the year.

I hope you and all the other local residents really enjoy this year's festival.

Customer Entrance Map: ccf7a042c1827a4111f0-24301ca8418e3004aff4c56bc91810c0.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/2018/ENTRANCE_MAP.pdf

Suzy M-H
👍

Tue 31 Jul 2018, 16:01

Thanks Charlotte. When and where will residents wrist bands be available to collect please? Also, for next year, could wrist bands be for sale locally rather than tickets? It would be so much simpler and avoid the problems we often have when handing in our tickets for wristbands!

Charlotte Drummond-Chew
👍

Mon 30 Jul 2018, 20:33

Hello Everyone,

Charlotte DC here, Event Manager of Wilderness. I just wanted to let you know that you can call 01608 637 402 during working hours in the festival build and 24hrs during the show days if you wish to speak to our team. This is a dedicated local residents phone line for any queries or issues you may have.

All the best,

Charlotte

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.