Quiz question

Deleted user
👍

Wed 16 Jan 2008, 15:12

We have just received the answers to this quiz and the correct one to the question asked was indeed `Goose fat`. Well done Hamish.

I still think `Snake oil` was a more correct answer, however.

Deleted user
👍

Wed 21 Nov 2007, 18:39

Richard,
Like John h I'm retired, but with two children & three grand children living locally I am more than fully employed, gardening, decorating and picking-up & dropping off at school to consider other people's gardens.
Perhaps you could enquire via this forum.
Time on my hands? oh how I wish.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 21 Nov 2007, 16:18

Roger - our garden needs a bit of TLC if you have time on your hands...!

Deleted user
👍

Wed 21 Nov 2007, 16:00

John, The garden is up to scratch thanks to my wife. That is why I am helping her with the last clue she requires an answer to in the quiz she is doing. Also, I thought this may constitute a more light-hearted subject, so thankyou for your comment.
Derek, another clue in the quiz was `Capsizes` (5,6)= `Turns turtle` and so it would seem there should just be reference to an animal in the answer, therefore, I think you are right.
Regarding a share in the prize, if all the other 99 answers in the quiz are correct it will probably be entered into a draw, with a number of other people sharing the £10 prize. So the answer to your last question has to be no (my wife said) sorry!

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 21 Nov 2007, 12:39

Roger - I wasn't 100% certain that "snake oil" was the correct answer; it was just a suggestion. It is definitely a term used to describe quack medicine but if the answers to your quiz are all supposed to be animals, then obviously "snake" is an animal but "snake oil" is not. I would suggest that either (a) I am wrong or (b) it is a bad clue! However, if I am right do I get a cut of your prize?

john h
👍

Tue 20 Nov 2007, 22:46

Roger does your lawn or garden need attention, I think you need to get out a little more!!

Deleted user
👍

Tue 20 Nov 2007, 17:57

Wikipedia states "Snake oil is a traditional Chinese medicine. However, the most common usage of the words is as a derogatory term for compounds offered as medicines which implies they are fake." As the clue was `Quack` medicine, I think this is the correct answer. However, thank for for offering an alternative solution.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Tue 20 Nov 2007, 10:11

Goose Fat?

Deleted user
👍

Tue 20 Nov 2007, 07:28

That looks correct. Thankyou.

Derek Collett
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2007, 18:37

Snake oil?

Deleted user
👍

Mon 19 Nov 2007, 18:12

The figures show the number of letters in each word of the answer which relates to 'All Creatures Great and Small' eg 'One cereal?' (7) = Unicorn
Answer required, please, for : - 'Quack medicine' (5,3)

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.