Does Freeview work?

John Larder
👍

Mon 17 Dec 2007, 20:43

We have an old sky box and a satellite dish which gives us all the terrestial channels from the UK here in France. 4 Beebs, 4 ITV's, C4 and Five, plus a few others too, the only channel I would like to get which I can't is Eurosport which on some sky cards is included. And of course we get radio too, but we can also get that via internet. Seems we are luckier than a lot of Brit viewers.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sat 8 Dec 2007, 18:10

Thanks Graham, I was able to log a query - it must be something wrong the Walcot BBC 1 transmitter as there is a separate one (on the same pole) for the other three terrestrial channels.

Graham Chamberlain
👍

Sat 8 Dec 2007, 10:42

Stephen, I don't have telephone number for queries about the Walcot transmitter but you can check for current problems and planned work on www.bbc.co.uk/reception/transmitters/index.shtml

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 6 Dec 2007, 18:44

Jonathon Ross has got most of the BBC's money so I should ask him!

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 6 Dec 2007, 18:18

Never mind Freeview, it looks like Christmas has come early on BBC 1 - the current signal from the Walcot transmitter for us in Park St looks like it is snowing on all the programmes - the other 3 channels are fine. Any ideas who to speak to to sort it out?

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Wed 5 Dec 2007, 12:51

One way to find out is to ask your neighbours. If anyone near you has an aerial pointing at Beckley, exactly the opposite direction from Walcot, then they're probably trying for Freeview. Especially if it's a shiny, new, tall aerial!

Mark Wilson
👍

Mon 3 Dec 2007, 16:08

It looks like 2011 for the scheduled upgrade of the Walcot transmitter

john h
👍

Sun 2 Dec 2007, 19:33

Mike you could try one of the folllowing
Freeview@mqtplc.com
www.Digitaluk.co.uk
digital land line 0845 650 50 50,
I was lead to believe that the transmitter at Walcot was going to be upgraded, failing that, it will have to be Freesat or Sky its gunna cost what ever

Jessica Smith
👍

Fri 16 Nov 2007, 15:52

Hi, sorry i haven't been on for a while. Cotswold aerials are on 01608 652526 but as below Corbetts are also very good.
Cheers

Simon Tibbitts
👍

Tue 13 Nov 2007, 10:35

Hi, I'm up on The Green off Ditchley Road.

When we first moved in we only got BBC on freeview.
We called in Banbury Aerials and they installed a new crazier looking aerial, new cabling and booster set for £222 all in.

We now get every digital channel with full signal.

- Simon

Dave Sangwine
👍

Mon 12 Nov 2007, 21:21

Although I have sky in the main room, I've installed the cheapest digital terrestrial receiver I could buy (£14) in another room. It gets an excellent picture on the BBC channels and sky news/sky sports news, though they do drop out a bit. No ITV channels or C4/C5, but E4 OK. I put this down to the cheapness of the box and the strength of the signal. I also think Enstone Road may be a little low for the Oxford Transmitter.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Fri 9 Nov 2007, 10:32

Julie, my understanding is that the reason for the spotty reception now is that the digital transmitters are not running at full power, lest they interfere with the regular signal. When the switch comes to an area the regular transmitters will be turned off and the digital ones will go to full power.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Fri 9 Nov 2007, 00:01

In this maze of digital TV etc I would recommend going to Corbett TV in Chippy. He is very helpful, not expensive, can explain it all jargon-free and also can organise Banbury Aerials to fix anything you need. Phone number is 642003

Julie Negus
👍

Thu 8 Nov 2007, 19:49

Thanks All, by the sound of it.
It' s all a bit hit and miss!
But what happens when everything goes digital, will they improve the signal.

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 8 Nov 2007, 19:28

Reception will also depend on the equipment! Last year I upgraded from a Freeview Box to a TV with a freeview tuner built in & this made a huge difference. The shop in Witney that I bought the TV from set it all up. I didn't need to change the aerial to see the improvement.

Steve Martin
👍

Thu 8 Nov 2007, 19:06

Hi Jessica,
Do you have a number for Cotswold Aerials?

Thanks
Steve

Jessica Smith
👍

Thu 8 Nov 2007, 16:48

When we moved into Finstock our Freeview reception was rubbish but we got Cotswold Aerials in and they put a new aerial up which gave us great reception (and no need for Sky).

Richard S
👍

Thu 8 Nov 2007, 12:19

We're in Ticknell Piece and we get everything except for the block that the Channel 5 stuff is on

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Wed 7 Nov 2007, 20:42

We're on the Ticknell Piece and we get pretty good Freeview reception on the digital receiver built into the TV set (purchased about 3 years ago). When we first moved in we got passable Freeview digital on an old aerial in the loft, then later had a decent digital aerial installed. It's pointed toward the Oxford transmitter, but also picks up Swindon as well. Some channels are a bit static-prone, but the majority come in fine.

Derek Collett
👍

Wed 7 Nov 2007, 19:43

I evidently live in a very similar part of Charlbury to Dave. I investigated getting Freeview in 2005 (using the thing on the Internet where you type in your postcode) and was told "No way". Reluctantly, I therefore sold my soul to the Dirty Digger and signed up for Sky. I don't regret it though.

dave wells
👍

Wed 7 Nov 2007, 19:27

When we moved to Charlbury in 2005 we tried our Freeview box (Pooles Lane - bottom of Dancers Hill) and it didn't work. I think our analogue roof aerial points towards a TV transmitter (other side of Oxford) whose FV reception is patchy in this area, but I think there is another transmitter towards Swindon (?) that is better. We have never moved our aerial and the kids went from a full Sky diet to 4 terrestrial channels (not even 5 !) and after about a week they stopped moaning !

Steve Martin
👍

Wed 7 Nov 2007, 16:11

I live on the Woodstock Road (near Stonesfield Lane) and they dont work where we are.

Julie Negus
👍

Wed 7 Nov 2007, 14:55

Hi, just wondering if the Freeview Boxes will work in Charlbury.
Ticknell Piece Area. Thanks

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.