advice on trains from Charlbury

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 15 Oct 2007, 14:08

And its not so much they are cancelled as just very late. Take today for instance, the 7.29am rolled into Paddington over 25 minutes late. If that had been the 8.34am, then it would have meant getting into Paddington at 10.15, which would be too close for your meeting, I think. Err on the side of caution is best.

Frank Payne
👍

Mon 15 Oct 2007, 13:49

The advice to take an earlier train is sound. I usually work out which train would get me there on time, and then take one an hour earlier as the chances of things going wrong are too high. If it's to catch a flight I often stay in London the night before now as the risk of missing it is too great. Luckily, as an academic, my hours are often flexible but for anyone trying to commute to work in London at a set time the service is next to unusable.

J Norris
👍

Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:17

It's pretty unusual - according to the blog it hasn't happened for 3 months.

Charles Vaughn
👍

Mon 15 Oct 2007, 12:05

10.30 am

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Mon 15 Oct 2007, 11:24

I wish it was - but its not. Would really recommend you get a train in hand. When is your meeting?

Charles Vaughn
👍

Mon 15 Oct 2007, 09:10

surely the likelihood of that train being cancelled is very remote?

graham W
👍

Sat 13 Oct 2007, 17:18

On that scenario, why not start to travel day before, so by the acual day of intended meeting you'll be able to catch the train that was delayed or cancelled from the yesterday hence be on time - WHAT a loads of **********.
Perhaps if FGW got their act together in the first place, commuters would not need to plan out strategy on how to got to work.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sat 13 Oct 2007, 16:30

I'd go along with Dave here. Always best to get a train in hand. If the 8.34am is late or cancelled, next train is the 9.20 which is always cancelled if the 7.16am to Worcester is cancelled. Suggest you get the 7.48am to Oxford and hang around and catch another train from Oxford - they go every half an hour.

Dave Sangwine
👍

Sat 13 Oct 2007, 08:47

Best to work out in advance what you're going to do if the 8:34 is cancelled on the day you need it. If your meeting has a fixed start time, you need a contingency plan every time you travel (see blog for many examples).

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 11 Oct 2007, 18:15

If you book a ticket online (www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk) they will post it to you at no extra cost, complete with a free seat reservation. In my experience, this is about the only aspect of FGW that works as it should do!

J Norris
👍

Thu 11 Oct 2007, 16:57

I always get a seat on the 8:34. I recommend carriage A (rear of train).

Charles Vaughn
👍

Thu 11 Oct 2007, 15:18

I need to go to London on Business on the 22nd Oct, just wondering the chances of me getting a seat on an early train Say 8.34 am. Would it be wise to book a first class ticket?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.