Great Western Failway, again

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 17 Aug 2018, 12:50

Thanks Duncan, I'll bear that in mind.

Duncan Forbes
👍

Fri 17 Aug 2018, 12:27

Hannen- you can use an Advance ticket on a later train if a connecting service is delayed. The National Rail Conditions of Travel section 9.4 says "...if you are using an advance Ticket and you miss your booked train because a previous connecting train service was delayed, you will be able to travel on the next train service provided by the Train Company with whom you were booked without penalty." This happened to us the other day (GWR late into Oxford) and on the way I asked the GWR train manager to endorse our Advance tickets accordingly. The readiness with which she did this shows she's used to being asked!

Hannen Beith
👍

Fri 17 Aug 2018, 09:04

My "good" experience seems to have been fluke. Last week my Wife's train to Oxford was cancelled at the last minute so we whizzed over to Parkway so that she could catch a train from there to Oxford.
On the return journey train was 30 minutes late (from Oxford).
On Wednesday I went to Bournemouth for the day with a friend. CrossCountry. I could have taken the train from Charlbury to join it at Oxford but as it was a discounted ticket I knew I had to be on time otherwise I couldn't have used it on a later train. So I drove to Banbury. Train on time loads of carriages and space. Excellent trolley service. Loads of spaces in the East Car Park.
It says a lot about GWR when one has to drive to neighbouring towns to use more reliable services.

Angus B
👍

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 23:24

Not GWR's fault, I believe, but the responsibility of Network Rail. Ever heard of signal failures when the signals were operated mechanically!

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 16 Aug 2018, 22:21

Today we were held at Charlbury (11.11) to Oxford for more than 1.5 hours. I was an 1.75 hrs late for work.

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 26 Jul 2018, 22:19 (last edited on Thu 26 Jul 2018, 22:20)

20:23 from Oxford late again this evening. Got into Charlbury just after 9pm

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 26 Jul 2018, 21:41

William Crossley's nugget of info that GWR Customer Services are handled by Capita explains a lot. The company with an R missing from its name handles way too much stuff, including TV licensing and the London Congestion Charge, and does it with little regard for the customer. Cut costs, line pockets.

David Prudence
👍

Thu 26 Jul 2018, 13:06

The ticket office was closed yesterday too, and the ticket machine was not working either. As it was, the train we needed to get for an onward connection was announced as 31 minutes late, despite being shown as on time both on line and on the station display! For the fourth time recently a planned day out was ruined. As I was leaving the station somebody said the ticket office would be closed until Monday.

I would not believe any comment by GWR about future improvements to the reliability of the "service".

nigel rosser
👍

Thu 26 Jul 2018, 10:40

After not using the railway during the network rail disruptions, was very disappointed the station was shut today. Oh and calling GWR to find out why? An exercise in profound pointlessness. "I'm going to call the station to see why it's shut." But it's shut. No ones there.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Thu 26 Jul 2018, 09:38

The 17:22 from Paddington was terminated at Oxford, last night as the replacement driver had not been trained on the new IET. We were informed at the beginning of the year that all drivers would have been put through a programme to operate these trains by May at the latest.

Please can we have a summer statement from GW on this forum, so that we can know when we can have confidence in the Cotswold service again - it has been seven months of daily cancellations.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 7 Jun 2018, 18:48

Maybe GWR will use the July closure to train a few more drivers? or will they be on holiday?

stephen cavell
👍

Tue 5 Jun 2018, 07:32

Great news Hannen, this is the first positive post on this subject since mine on the 29th March. Keep the good work up GWR

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 4 Jun 2018, 22:55

So glad it was a successful trip for you Hannen

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 4 Jun 2018, 18:24

Happy to report that my journey was a great success. Trains to and from Reading bang on time and even a catering trolley. Lots of carriages and seating. I was travelling off peak. Used the Trainline iPhone app which worked a treat. No more fiddly little tickets!

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 4 Jun 2018, 18:07

Thanks Stephen. Fascinating story. Will try them out!

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 4 Jun 2018, 12:23

Thanks for the heads up William. Goes to show how long its been since I called them! In my experience I have never been any further forward when I've called them so I don't bother!

William Crossley
👍

Mon 4 Jun 2018, 08:27

Alex, all GWR customer service work has been handled in the UK by Capita since 2016 after being brought back from India. The call centre is in Warrington.

If anyone wants to check the state of GWR's services on the day, go to their Journeycheck page https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

Other train operators also have Journeycheck pages, including Chiltern and CrossCountry

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 4 Jun 2018, 01:06

@ Stephen - never heard of them! ;)

Just kidding! :)

Alex Flynn
👍

Mon 4 Jun 2018, 01:01

"I just want to know if I can get to Reading and back tomorrow. I don't need an in depth engineer's report of work being carried out all over the entire network. "

I doubt they know themselves. Unplanned things happen - especially where GWR are concerned! As a daily traveller you take each day as it comes - otherwise you go mad!

"GWR seriously need a Customer Services Advisor." They do. On the phones they are in India.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2018, 19:19

Ahem..there are other providers - try loco2.com - you might recognise a company set up by children of an eminent local..

Heather Williams
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2018, 14:29

I always use the trainline website,so easy to use. Good luck with your travels tomorrow.

Hannen Beith
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2018, 13:10

My Daughter and latest Grandchild (whom I have not seen yet) are making a flying visit to England for a week. We have agreed to meet in Reading tomorrow (Monday 4 June). If the trains let me down I shall be very cross. Daughter lives in Hong Kong and only makes it here every other year.
I went onto the GWR website to book my return off peak tickets. 40 minutes later I was no further forward. For reasons best known to some numpty there they have locked me out for security reasons. Eh? So they sent me a key to reset my password. Followed all the instructions only to be told after being bounced from page to page that they had a security issue.
Checked the service disruption page and came across a diagram which was completely incomprehensible. Diagrams, colours, codes. I just want to know if I can get to Reading and back tomorrow. I don't need an in depth engineer's report of work being carried out all over the entire network. GWR seriously need a Customer Services Advisor.
I'd rather use the bus. No hassle, and free for me as a man of a certain age (although I must say that the return train fare, with my Senior Railcard, is a little less than £9.) Great value for the service, but rubbish if you don't get a service!
So went back to my old friend (whom I hadn't used for 18 months) the trainline.com. Was logged in immediately and had my tickets on my iPhone within 30 seconds.
Now all I have to do is to hope that GWR cut the mustard as if it doesn't, I won't see Daughter and Granddaughter for at least 18 months.
It might be easier just to book a flight to Lantau Island. Sigh. Suspect it will cost more than £9.

William Crossley
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2018, 12:03

Probably worth reminding people that if they are going to Birmingham or places further north, that you can go west from Charlbury and change trains at Worcester.
The journey can be done inside two hours that way when there is a good connection in Worcester, so should be quicker than replacement buses on Oxford/Banbury bits of journeys - but look for services that involve travel between Worcester and Birmingham New Street via Bromsgrove (most of these are running to or from Great Malvern or Hereford) - as the services between Worcester and Birmingham Snow Hill or Moor Street stations use a longer, slower route.
One fly in the ointment is that while there are cheap Birmingham via Worcester fares available from Moreton-in-Marsh and stations further west on the line, from Charlbury the fare is the same as it is via Oxford. However, you can save money by splitting tickets at Worcester - and if you have a Cotswold Line Railcard, then it is valid as far as Worcester, so you can get a third off that leg of a journey

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 2 Jun 2018, 11:26

William, Thank you. That's helpful.

I've been trying to plan a trip north in July & have been extremely puzzled by the results on the national rail timetable. These suggested (provisionally!) that I can change in Oxford, even though the station seems to be closed that day. It does not show up as a bus, but perhaps that's what is meant.

William Crossley
👍

Sat 2 Jun 2018, 10:44

Christine, departure times for rail replacement buses are already in the nationalrail.co.uk online journey planner -though still subject to final confirmation - along with train times on the days they will be operating to/from Hanborough. It appears the buses will be stopping in the centre of Charlbury, with a minibus shuttle to and from the station for anyone who wants to go down there/has parked a car.

I don't work for GWR, so would suggest you direct questions about more detailed arrangements to them.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 1 Jun 2018, 22:42

William, Thanks for the link. But it is not a very helpful link as far as Charlbury is concerned.

I see Stagecoach Bus 7 is not included, even though this is the only direct bus that goes to Oxford Parkway from here -- not very frequently, but at least it does get there & back a couple of times a day (but not Sundays).

I am assuming that the bus replacement services listed to Hanborough don't go as far as Charlbury; but do the ones to Moreton to & from Oxford Parkway and Didcot drop off & pick up here? It's not at all clear.

It's going to be particularly difficult to get to Banbury for those who do not drive. The Cornbury Festival (July 13 - 15) is badly affected also, as I see that they are not running their usual shuttle buses because of the engineering work.

William Crossley
👍

Fri 1 Jun 2018, 15:32

There is a page on the GWR website giving a range of information about arrangements that will apply during the work around Oxford, including the various arrangements for trains on particular days, replacement bus services and acceptance of GWR tickets on Chiltern Railways from Oxford Parkway and on some local bus routes, which will include the S3.
https://www.gwr.com/travel-updates/planned-engineering/oxford2018

Christine Battersby
👍

Thu 31 May 2018, 09:53 (last edited on Thu 31 May 2018, 09:53)

Anyone trying to plan trips away by train might like also to know that as well as the more or less complete closure of Oxford Station between Saturday, July 7 and Sunday, July 22 + also Sat. July 28 and Sun. July 29, there are also plans for some major alterations to Cotswold Line Stations in September & throughout the Autumn.

This is to lengthen platforms for the new-style trains, and will lead to an alteration in times of services. The dates are as follows:
Saturday September 8 and Sunday September 9
Saturday September 29 and Sunday September 30
Saturday October 27 until Sunday November 4 - school half-term holiday
Saturday November 17 and Sunday November 18
Saturday December 1 and Sunday December 2
Saturday December 22 until Thursday December 27 - Christmas holiday

The link about it is here: clpg.org.uk/blog/cotswold-line-platform-extensions/

PJ Honey
👍

Thu 31 May 2018, 08:23

Things will certainly get worse in July when Oxford station is closed for two weeks - www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16257529._NIGHTMARE___Oxford_Railway_Station_will_shut_for_two_weeks/

Alex Flynn
👍

Wed 30 May 2018, 23:31

20:23 train from Oxford to Charlbury has been cancelled 2 days running (Tues and Weds) this week owing to no driver. Taxis laid on. Matters are only due to get worse according to staff

William Crossley
👍

Mon 21 May 2018, 10:03

Stephen, if you want an overall picture of the state of GWR's services (or any other train operator) on any given day and reasons for cancellations. delays and alterations, Journeycheck is the best place to go.

Yesterday was probably the worst single day for Cotswold Line cancellations - weekend or…

Long post - click to read full text

Stephen Andrews
👍

Mon 21 May 2018, 09:57

Extract from CLPG letter referenced in Williams' post:

"Training has been further hampered by the IET driver simulator at Bristol being out of operation for two weeks after an electrical fire in February"

Ahh....

Simon Walker
👍

Sun 20 May 2018, 20:49

Which all begs the question - does GWR (or its rolling stock supplier) not have a simulator for training its drivers? Surely that would be a cost-effective way of making sure that sufficient drivers are available for the new trains, without having to disrupt regular services in order to do so.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 20 May 2018, 17:38 (last edited on Sun 20 May 2018, 17:46)

Thanks William, I was referring to the National Rail timetabled trains that I could see through the morning and afternoon (explanations ceased to appear on this website some weeks ago), so I suppose we should be grateful, that it is currently only six cancelled today. The clpg letter is informative but depressing as it seems that there is no imminent end to this situation, and in particular to avoid weekend train travel on the Cotswold line. As I said on this forum months ago, the shortage of trained drivers could have been anticipated in December and a reduced timetable introduced which we could have mostly relied on. Why was this not considered?

William Crossley
👍

Sun 20 May 2018, 15:02 (last edited on Sun 20 May 2018, 15:06)

The Meet the Manager sessions at Charlbury and Oxford stations are on Tuesday and Thursday this coming week, not last week. See www.charlbury.info/news/2396

If you can't get to either event. a letter from Mark Hopwood, the managing director of GWR, explaining what has been going on since late last year is on the Cotswold Line Promotion Group website www.clpg.org.uk/blog/cotswold-line-service-problems-a-response-from-gwr/

And there are six cancellations expected today out of 25 services due to call at Charlbury, so hardly a majority.

GWR Journeycheck clearly stated the issue is a shortage of drivers in each case https://www.journeycheck.com/greatwesternrailway/

Stephen Andrews
👍

Sun 20 May 2018, 14:00

Did anyone attend the 'meet the manager' session last week, and get an answer as to when we can expect something close to a proper service? A majority of trains have been cancelled today without a word of explanation, but I suspect is still down to a shortage of suitable drivers at the weekend.

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 19 Apr 2018, 22:04

The 20:23 Oxford to Charlbury train was half an hour late leaving Oxford this evening. Once again I am eating my evening meal at 22:00 which is not ideal. Thanks for nothing GWR!

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 13 Apr 2018, 20:36

18:23 from Oxford to Charlbury was cancelled today, Friday 13th

Alex Flynn
👍

Thu 12 Apr 2018, 22:08 (last edited on Thu 12 Apr 2018, 22:09)

The 11:11 to Oxford was 30-35 minutes late today losing me half an hour's pay. GWF blamed an earlier train.

Huw Mallins-Brown
👍

Thu 12 Apr 2018, 22:02

Perhaps todays news about a potential takeover offer for First Group by Apollo will lead to improvements with their (FGW) timetable performance as well as their ultimate parent companies stock price.

We could be in for more change than we bargained for!

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Sun 8 Apr 2018, 11:09

I will never, ever take a train into London.
I now always use the bus - pay directly on the Stagecoach bus into Oxford, for the full journey & the buses from Gloucester Green are every 15minutes, right the way through the night.
The other week I managed to make it into the City for a 10am meeting!
Obviously if you needed to be in earlier, not practicable.
However, due to the frequency of the buses, always plenary of space with internet connection & usb sockets to charge laptops & phones.
Why would you ever struggle on the train?

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Thu 5 Apr 2018, 17:52

I was lucky today as the 10.08 was bang on time into Reading and the train that arrives into Charlbury at 17.07 was also on time !!!

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 5 Apr 2018, 09:44

I don't use GWR anymore. Yesterday I had a business meeting in Oxford at 3 pm. I couldn't risk being late so I took the S3 there and back. Bang on time both ways, and plenty of space.

Clarrie Haynes
👍

Wed 4 Apr 2018, 18:47

Todays 15.52 was delayed the terminated at oxford, had to wait for the next train which was also late, think I stick with Chiltern from Parkway

Angela Moore
👍

Wed 4 Apr 2018, 14:00

They cancelled the last train home (21.48) the next day, too.

Matt Bullock
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 09:54

They will have to call at Hanborough in case somebody wants to get on, Rob. I was at Oxford waiting for the 2256 (2148 from Paddington). The replacement bus was scheduled for 2340 departure - fair play to the two young GWR staff on duty, it took only a little bit of persuasion for them to sanction two taxis for those waiting at Oxford.

stephen cavell
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 07:23

I had a great experience with GWR on Saturday. Caught the 2114 train out of Worcester Shrub Hill on time. Five of us got on- eight carriages- I had a whole carriage to myself -the restaurant car served me half bottle of wine and a BLT and I enjoyed a very comfortable, peaceful trip reading. My only problem was I was too far forward at Charlbury Station and had to run/stagger back two carriages clutching what was left in the wine bottle - not much I can assure you!

Rob Stepney
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 00:54

Having had my morning (11.11) train into London cancelled and my return (21.48) return train also cancelled -- and having only just got home by minibus -- I think we should reinvigorate the Failway thread. To compound the cock-ups, the minibus driver insisted on taking us all home via Hanborough, even though none of us wanted to get off there.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.