Business ads being used as a source for charity info

John Kearsey
👍

Sat 31 Mar 2018, 15:06

I used to get calls insisting that I had agreed several months before to pay for some service or another and that they were just phoning to collect payment! I asked for the recording of my "previous call" which would constitute a contract at which point the line goes dead...

Philip Ambrose
👍

Fri 30 Mar 2018, 10:13

Used to get a lot of this - people selling advertising space on things like wall planners that were "supporting your local police force" or similar. Exorbitant price but print run and circulation info very sketchy. Eventually one runs out of politeness and uses language that the salesperson understands! after which they tend to stop calling.

Hannen Beith
👍

Thu 29 Mar 2018, 09:53

Simon (and anyone else),
If you get an enquiry exercise your right by lodging a SAR (Subject Access Request) - so ask the caller for their organisation's contact details and the name of its Data Controller.
As a data subject, you have a legal right, under EU Regulation 2016/679 General Data Protection Regulation ("GDPR") to find out about the use of your personal data as follows:

• Confirmation that your personal data is being processed by the organisation;
• Access to your personal data;
• How the organisation uses your personal data and why;
• Details of any sharing or transfers of your personal data;
• How long your personal data is held;
• Details of your rights under the GDPR including, but not limited to, your rights to withdraw your consent to the use of your personal data at any time and/or to object to the processing of it.

The organisation must comply with your request within one month. If it does not you can report it to the Information Commissioner.

Useful deterrent!

Hannen Beith
👍

Wed 28 Mar 2018, 18:37

Thanks Simon. Under the provisions of the GDPR, any organisation (including a Charity) must have your positive opt in consent before contacting you. Roll on 25 May 2018!

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Tue 27 Mar 2018, 15:34 (last edited on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 15:34)

Just a quick warning to folks who have adverts on the business section of this site.. I was just called by a very polite chap who wanted my business to sponsor something in exchange for a certificate. Once he started asking I kind of switched off. I believe it was forces related. I declined.

The only place that phone number, organisation and my name is advertised is on that section, so I suspect others will get the same call.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.