A different question about trains

Ed
👍

Fri 14 Sep 2007, 11:11

There are now 21 completely refurbished HSTs in service, and more refurbished carriages are being used in combination with, as yet, unrefurbished coaches. Around 70 of the 116 powers cars have been re-engined to date. All will be completed by next Spring.

The 'Mickey Mouse' ears are of course grab handles to assist people walking through the train and like the high-back seats are a safety requirement required on all new trains.

Derek Collett
👍

Thu 13 Sep 2007, 18:49

They're not really Mickey Mouse ears though are they? Mickey's are black and he has two of them. These are more like Van Gogh ears - they are pink and there's only one of them! What use are they? Well I'm sure vandals will enjoy trying to snap them off.

As for the laptop users - are those people really working? Most of those I see on the train are either watching videos, playing games or doing some other non-work activity. They just look as if they are working, that's the point.

Deleted user
👍

Thu 13 Sep 2007, 15:52

I am surprised at how important is seems to be, to be to able to continue using a computer while travelling to and from work. Whatever happened to reading a newspaper, doing a crossword puzzle or simply resting ones eyes on the journey.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Thu 13 Sep 2007, 13:31

Thanks. So, as long as I pack a 2-way adaptor, I'll be able to work without upgrading the laptop.

Now the REALLY difficult question. What on earth is the point of those Mickey Mouse ears? Are they going to build a new Disney World in Cornbury Park?

Ian Lewis
👍

Thu 13 Sep 2007, 11:17

On table seats there are two power points mounted on the table adjacent to the window.

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2007, 14:11

Except I think the refurbished train you talk about - with the Micky Mouse ears on the chairs - is the only one there is so far - but I could be wrong.

Ian Lewis
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2007, 13:58

In the refurbished coaches, in the high backed coach style seating there is a shared powerpoint (one between two) between the two seats in front, low down by your feet.

Not sure where the power point is located for the few seats that have tables.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 11 Sep 2007, 11:39

In mid-2006, when FGW were talking about moving to an almost all-HS 125 service on this line, there was much talk about the funky refurbished carriages they were going to offer. I'm sure power at every Second Class seat (like Virgin Cross Country have) was one of the offers I remember.

Yesterday, I got on what seemed to be a refurbished HS 125 carriage and couldn't see any power outlets in Second Class.

Does anyone know whether there IS going to be accessible power when (??if) the reurbished trains come on stream? The answer affects my strategy on buying a new laptop.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.