Car accident on the Slade

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 17:54

I'm with Peter on this one. Speed cameras are the best deterrent for speeders, I'd say the only deterrent. They wouldn't stop a drug-crazed minor of course, but they would slow down some of the idiots.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 17:40

OCC sent gritters out from 7, read their Twitter feed. There was definitely snow, IMO depending on when they sent one through Charlbury it's feasible a car could slide, hit a pothole (lots of them in Charlbury) and go off the road. But I have no idea what happened, drugs, alcohol or whatever, but presumably all that will be considered.

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 16:19

21.30 this is clearly quite frightening a car should never do that much damage to simply say it was snowing is no excuse for a car to leave the road like that in a built up area and roll on to its roof leaving a trial of destruction. So it would be nice to know the correct facts about the accident if any one are to be charged with any traffic violations or not. As Philip says I don't recall snow that day.

Harriet Baldwin
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 15:55

It was snowing Philip, as I walked home in it. Enough to give a light covering on cars and make surfaces slippy, and still on the ground the following day.

stephen cavell
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 15:12

Does anyone have any facts relating to this incident? My hear-say suggests that a stolen car/under age (15yrs) and drugs were involved. If so this was not an accident that would be solved by straight forward traffic calming procedures.

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 12:41

If anyone is interested in joining the Community Speedwatch Group please let me know. More volunteers mean more visibility, more monitoring, increased referrals to the Police & more evidence to support investment in traffic management.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 12:20

Did a Collision Investigation Unit attend? If so, they may have a fair idea of the speed of the offending driver. Goodness knows what speed he was doing to take out a telegraph pole, flip over and land in a garden. No snow or ice that I recall. At least he is still alive and can be brought to book.

No more road humps please! How about traffic lights that go red on speeders? (works very well in Switzerland).

Peter Bridgman
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:25

Iknow they are not pretty but why can't we have yellow boxes on the Slade? Even if they rarely have a camera in them. They will surely work better than the 30mph signa that most drivers ignore. I often have to catch a bus at the top of Dancers Hill and check the number of times that the sign flashes while I'm waiting. It is usually 3 out of 4

Lisa Hadfield-Law
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:21

The hero was Henry Penny...an occupational of one of the properties damaged. Well done Henry

elizabeth koepping
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:19

The insurance companies and people coming from them have been really helpful and kind: just have to wait for their processes to result in action, and to see if plants survive their petrol spray. The suggested option of having the probably contaminated soil removed, along with any plants which survive, is not one I warm to: rather wait till May to see what happens.

Rhona Walker
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 11:02

It's not only cars that go too fast. This accident happpened at the exact same spot as where I was almost wiped out by a cyclist last October (See Forum Cyclists Fri 6 Oct 2017)How many more accidents do we have to have on the Slade before something is done about the speed of traffic coming down the hill??

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 10:47 (last edited on Wed 14 Feb 2018, 10:52)

Shameful. Has anyone from the offending side offered to help you repair all the damage? I can't speak about the traffic as I have little faith in the highways or planning in WODC.

elizabeth koepping
👍

Wed 14 Feb 2018, 08:40

My gate, wall and carefully developed garden was wrecked by the car last week. The traffic had been rather slower since, but without the reminder of the broken pole, replaced yesterday, it is picking up again. Highways apparently said they don't want to put speed bumps as they upset the waste removal lorries, who regularly treat this road as their personal race track; commuters rush to trains; many locals seem to reckon 40ish is more or less 30, as the majority of cars set off and then ignore the speed indicator; adult selfishness over community safety are demonstrated daily to children walking to school. Raised sections on both hills, such as that on Burford Road by the station, would force all drivers to slow. Nothing less will make this road for all living, walking along or crossing it.

Alice Brander
👍

Wed 7 Feb 2018, 15:26

"Quiet, residential street" - The Slade. The person who wrote this doesn't know Charlbury very well. How about "dangerous race track"?

nigel rosser
👍

Wed 7 Feb 2018, 12:34

Well done someone....

BREAKING
22 mins ago
Hero rescues driver and passenger after car crashes into house upside down then catches fire at Charlbury
Pete Hughes
Car crash on The Slade, Charlbury. Picture: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service
Car crash on The Slade, Charlbury. Picture: Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service

0 comments

A HAVE-a-go-hero has been hailed for saving a driver and passenger's life after their car flipped upside down, crashed into a house then caught fire.

The dramatic crash happened on a quiet residential street in Charlbury, West Oxfordshire, called The Slade, just before 9pm last night.

It is not known how fast the car was travelling when it hit a telegraph pole triggering a terrifying series of events.

Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service said: "The car left the road, colliding with a telegraph pole and impacted with the house which resulted in the car landing upside down near the front door at which point it caught fire.

Oxford Mail:

The Slade, Charlbury. Picture: Google Maps

"The two occupants were released from the car by a member of the public before the arrival of the fire crews.

"On arrival the fire crews immediately set to work to extinguish the fire using high pressure hose reels to prevent fire spreading to the house."

Station manager Chris Barber said the occupants of the vehicle were 'extremely lucky' to escape with only minor injuries, given the level of impact.

He added: "The swift actions of a member of the public helped to prevent tragic consequences.

"I cannot stress enough how important it is to drive safely. Do not take unnecessary risks. Drive to arrive."

Alan Jenkins
👍

Wed 7 Feb 2018, 10:01

This car must have been travelling at high speed as it 'took out' a telegraph pole as it careered off of the road before wrecking two front gardens,coming to rest in the second garden and catching fire. Thankfully no one was hurt.Sadly vehicles travelling at high speed is nothing new in The Slade and this shows what can happen.Very scary. Commiserations to those two householders now faced with task of repairing their properties.

sharon
👍

Wed 7 Feb 2018, 08:25

Glad to hear that the occupant or occupants are okay and we'll done to the bystanders for acting quickly

Diana Limburg
👍

Tue 6 Feb 2018, 22:22

In case you are wondering what all the emergency vehicles (we counted up to 10) were about on the Slade from about 21:30 Tuesday... We were told by a fire fighter on site that there had been a car crash in the dip. A car had careered across the road, hit a house and caught fire. Luckily bystanders got the occupant(s) out of the vehicle and he said they seemed relatively okay given the state of the car.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.