Christmas Activities at Charlbury Community Centre

Peter Evans
👍

Fri 29 Dec 2017, 15:40

I may be intolerant, but the general illiteracy (and poor spelling) of the Facebook page would ensure that I just ignored it as a scam.

Simon, thanks for the rational explanation regarding the impracticality of the idea.

Heather Williams
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 22:09

Well that's cleared that mess up then.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 19:30

Thanks Simon, much clearer now. I also somehow thought the tryout implied that it was a 'moveable feast' type affair not a full time installation. Hi hum. Northleach it is then.

Simon Walker
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 19:23

Just to put the record straight - to have built a climbing wall in the new Community Centre sports hall would have meant significant structural changes to the end wall, and hence increased building costs. The idea was indeed looked at when the building was being designed, but the cost (and space) implications unfortunately ruled it out.

This has already been made clear to the people who are looking to gauge interest in having one, and it is just a pity that the Facebook page seems to have misled some enthusiastic potential climbers.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 19:02

Or to make it much clearer in the post that's it was a survey, I only found that reference by reading comments on other people's posts to the page. Glad I, and others, haven't necessarily been scammed but a little dissapointed at the lack of a climbing wall try out! Tanya, would such a thing work in the community centre hall?

Diana Limburg
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 18:58

My understanding was always that the Facebook 'event' was just about gauging interest in having a climbing wall at the Community Centre. The date was a deadline for expressing interest. I assume they'd be looking at several options and want to create some shortlist of venues for further exproration. Would have been good form, to say the least, to involve/inform the Community Centre management though!

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 17:08

Thanks for that Jody - that's alarming! The Facebook thing is nothing to do with the Community Centre. There is no climbing wall event this Sunday folks - please don't come expecting one. Instead you can do circuit training at 10am to burn off some of those mince pies! In the meantime you can try out Pickleball tomorrow at 11am-1pm.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 16:36

Don't know if this link will work but...: m.facebook.com/events/338251969981130

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 16:33

There's a Facebook thing doing the rounds purporting to be a trail run for a climbing wall at the community centre... we may all have been duped...

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 13:02

There is no climbing wall day - I don't know where that came from, but certainly nothing the Community Centre has put out. The full information about what is happening in the days between Christmas and New Year can be found here: https://www.charlburycommunitycentre.org.uk/young-people/
After new Year there are some new activities including a Community Gym every morning from 9am-1pm, After School Activity Club Mon-Thurs 4-5pm for school years 6-9 and other things in the pipeline. A climbing wall is not feasible I'm afraid.

Heather Williams
👍

Thu 28 Dec 2017, 12:37

What's the format for the climbing wall day at the Community Centre, will it be organised or a free for all as climbing needs training, safety equipment and supervision?

Claire Wilding
👍

Wed 27 Dec 2017, 21:47

Thanks!

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Wed 27 Dec 2017, 16:31

You'll need trainers and I think as long as they're clean it doesn't matter too much what sort.

Claire Wilding
👍

Wed 27 Dec 2017, 16:27

Hello, just wondering if the football session tomorrow is bare foot or do we need to bring non marking trainers? Thanks!

Jenny Chambers
👍

Thu 21 Dec 2017, 16:26

The afternoon session has just finished. We didn't have quite the numbers of this morning but plenty to play a really good mix of sports and games.

As Tanya has said, we'll all be at The Community Centre again tomorrow, same timings, for a different mix of sports, games and crafts.

Come and join in, even if you haven't booked.

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Thu 21 Dec 2017, 15:04 (last edited on Thu 21 Dec 2017, 15:05)

Wow - 40 kids came this morning and we had such fun! Thanks a million to Paul Quibell-Smith for organising excellent sporty games and to Chris Pearce for helping with the (very glittery and messy) crafts. More of the same is on offer tomorrow. I wonder how the afternoon session went...

Tanya Stevenson
👍

Mon 18 Dec 2017, 09:36

Just a reminder that there is a lot going on at Charlbury Comunity Centre this Christmas.
On Thursday 21st and Friday 22nd we are running sports/activity sessions for school children (primary age in the morning 9.30am-12 and secondary age in the afternoon 1.30-4pm). Cost £5 per session and you can leave your kids with us and go finish your shopping.
From 27th-31st the centre will be open 10am-4pm with family sport activities at 11am (except 31st, when it's back to Sunday circuits at 10am)and also games, puzzles, quizzes, cafe. It should be a nice place to come for some company or to run off a bit of steam. More details can be found here: https://www.charlburycommunitycentre.org.uk/young-people/

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.