Bins and Recycling

Frank Payne
👍

Wed 25 Oct 2017, 12:20

Lucy, I live in Crawborough also and rang and emailed wodc last week. They were very off hand and told me the waste operator has three working days, which they have clearly not met. I pointed out that if that is the agreement it means that they can effectively run a 3 week service. Liz Leffman has been very helpful trying to get something done.

Lucy Keating
👍

Wed 25 Oct 2017, 09:43

Hi, we havent had any bins collected on Crawborough for two Tuesdays in a row. Has this been the case in other streets? Has it been raised with WODC by anyone here? If not i will drop them a note - thanks

glena chadwick
👍

Mon 23 Oct 2017, 14:32

Information rather late in the day but the recycling lorry in Hixet Wood was literally stuck---between a car/cottage and the wall on the other side.

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 20 Oct 2017, 12:59 (last edited on Fri 20 Oct 2017, 12:59)

Most of our rubbish no longer goes to landfill. It's burnt at Ardley, just outside Bicester. This is the link to Ardley on the WODC site about what goes in the grey bins: https://www.oxfordshire.gov.uk/cms/content/what-we-are-doing-reduce-landfill

I agree that it's awful that flyaway plastics & hard plastics now have to be put in the grey bin, & I am also not a fan of burning all non-recyclable waste (a supposedly "green" policy). But I think the likelihood of this changing is close to zero, given the change of policies about land-filling & burning waste.

Helen Josephine Wright
👍

Fri 20 Oct 2017, 09:30

Apologies for being late to join in again so I may have missed some vital news. Is there some sort of petition or way we can ,through our Town Council, make an official complaint about the non recycling of flyway plastics. Our grey bin used to be nearly empty each fortnight with just tissue type rubbish & cat litter. Now it is half full with all the plastic being put to landfill seems so dreadful. I also notice so many people still using plastic bags when buying items. Plastic soup is more of a problem to human health than most of us realise.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 14:21

Hixet Wood was at a standstill when I walked past in the morning yesterday as a result of a puncture or breakdown of some sort on the Recycling truck that was stuck and stationary, but being worked on, at the most narrow point in the road.
I do not know how long it took to get things repaired but that might explain why certain of you were missed yesterday.

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 13:38

Thanks, Philip for that useful information - however, with regard to Sheep Street it is rather laughable, as many will know. To begin with the double yellow lines are almost completely obliterated, secondly, to allow passage of emergency vehicles cars have to park partly on the pavement - and even then large HGV's with faulty SatNavs still end up getting stuck and having to reverse. All this, and then Vanderbilt apply to build 8 houses in Hixet Wood which will mean an increase in traffic, from both builders and new residents, down Sheep Street (and presumably round the rest of Charlbury). I am sure you can see where my laughter comes from. HBC

Philip Ambrose
👍

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 11:58 (last edited on Wed 18 Oct 2017, 12:05)

I have spoken to WODC and the contractor, both very pleasant and polite, but neither of whom mentioned an accident in Hixet Wood yesterday that apparently prevented the bin lorry from working a full shift. (this info came from Liz Leffman - thanks Liz).

Incidentally, while others are focussing on speeding in the Slade, it is every bit as important to clamp down on illegal and obstructive parking elsewhere in Charlbury. How long before an Emergency Services Vehicle gets delayed with potentially fatal consequences?

Please note that it is ILLEGAL to park on or within 10 metres of a road junction (even if there are no yellow lines) and that after dark one should be parked in the direction of travel (i.e. NEARSIDE to the kerb on a 2 way street). www.highwaycodeuk.co.uk/parking.html

Hopefully we will see some enforcement of these laws, which might make the new refuse / recycling contractor's job a little easier?

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:20

well for some reason they only collected the light grey household bins this morning in Church st a day late not sure what is going on.

Frank Payne
👍

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 10:05

Crawborough did not get its blue recycling bins emptied yesterday. I phoned WODC this morning to report a mis-collection and was surprised that having said it would be reported, they now allow 3 whole working days for the company to come out and collect it, meaning it could possibly be Monday next week. I'm left wondering what it is we are paying for!

Christine Battersby
👍

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 21:39

Has anyone had their electrical items picked up? And how long did you have to wait? Mine were due to be picked up today (green week for me). And it's a danger leaving a black box out in a very poorly lit road. Obviously, I've emailed WODC. But I would be pleased to know how others have fared.

Stephen Andrews
👍

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 13:02

It is great that plastic bag use has decreased recently, but one of the reasons given by WODC for the new blue waste bins was to stop 'flyaway' plastic being blown out of the black boxes. It only now transpires that WODC has negotiated and agreed a new contract which does not include this previously recycled category (nor plastic flower pots). I do not see how we can maintain or increase our required recycling targets if this situation persists.

Hannen Beith
👍

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 10:03

page 9 - carrier bags and bags which have been used to contain food can be used in the food caddy. So I infer that means that e.g. plastic bags in which other otems have been delivered are considered flyaway.

Suzy M-H
👍

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 09:34

Are carrier bags and other plastic bags, such as the bags parcels are delivered in, classified as flyaways or can these be placed in recycling as we used to? Can't find anything in the leaflet except about flyaways.

Simon Walker
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 17:10

No collection on Hixet Wood last week? Eh? Which Hixet Wood are you referring to, Phil? Without wishing to rub salt into others' wounds, all of our bins have been emptied on schedule both last week and this. In Hixet Wood.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 16:45

Despite being one of the complainers I agree with you in principle - obviously it's no fun hearing the complaints, or indeed working on the bin lorries. Alas, as 'customers' we do still have to stick up for receiving the service we're paying for. It was inevitable that the new system would have teething troubles - but they appear to be persisting rather. Having been an assiduous recycler for many years, right down to sorting plastics, paper and cardboard into different black boxes to make it slightly easier for the kerbside workers, it's hard not to be frustrated by it all, though - let alone the new system not recycling flyaway plastics. What a world, eh?

Phil Morgan
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 16:36

There is such a storm of complaint about the new regime of collection with a new contractor. This risks becoming poisonous and I would wish there to be some restraint. Negativity usually begets more negativity. Bombarding a call line with "zillions" of complaints is unlikely to be effective.
Can you imagine being the person on the end of that complaint line?
Also, can you imagine being one of the guys on the bin team at 5.00am and racing to meet a deadline before the cars clog all routes?
Bit of compassion maybe? No collection on Hixet Wood last week - well, who could drive a lorry between those parked cars?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.