Good news thread

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 11 Jun 2018, 21:16

Thanks for putting that up Kate
I quite agree it was a very good event with lots of youth football teams taking part some from quite far away. Good to see my grandson from Witney playing. Such a good atmosphere and it helps to raise much needed funding for the Youths Sport Club - well done everyone

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Mon 11 Jun 2018, 17:35

I didn't know you were involved with the 210 bus, Liz. It's a great story. Well done to all involved...

Katie Ewer
👍

Mon 11 Jun 2018, 12:57

Also, it was great to see the Charlbury Youth Football tournament yesterday. Children from 91 teams of all ages competed in competitions organised by the Charlbury Town Youth FC. Thanks so much to all the organisers, it really was a great day!

Liz Leffman
👍

Mon 11 Jun 2018, 09:23

Thanks for posting this, Matthew. It's a real local good news story as the 210 bus runs through the Wychwood villages, which I can take some credit for, as I was part of the team that set up West Oxfordshire Community Transport, getting a grant from WODC to pay start-up costs. I have also given a grant towards buying the bus with money from my County Councillor Priority Fund. Which brings me to another point which is that I do have a small amount of money that I can give to organisations like this across my ward so let me know if you have anything you think would benefit from my support.

Matthew Greenfield
👍

Thu 7 Jun 2018, 16:29

I think this counts as a good news local story about the community 210 bus from Witney to Chippy (it even mentions pot holes, a favourite Charlbury topic):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jun/06/rural-town-austerity-buses-witney

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 24 Mar 2018, 19:01

That is good news, well done Charlbury Town U'7 Football Team.Congratulations!

Katie Ewer
👍

Sat 24 Mar 2018, 18:09

Charlbury Town U7's won 11-1 today against Middleton Cheney (previously unbeaten this season). Special thanks to coaches Gareth Benfield and Mark Ferguson who are doing a great job of developing the team!

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 5 Feb 2018, 07:59

Lost my fitbit this wknd - today someone handed it in. Hurrah for people.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Sun 4 Feb 2018, 17:37

This web site forum is great! I now have two people willing to show me their Cotteswood kitchen. It's been useful for many other things as well. Many thanks to Richard Fairhurst and others who makes it possible.

John Werner
👍

Thu 1 Feb 2018, 23:39

Just got back in and there is still peace outside on our very own streets and my fridge is full of stuff:-)Good night out little bubble.

Jim Clemence
👍

Mon 22 Jan 2018, 11:01

Seems there is genuine momentum following Government's 25 year Environment Plan to see the Cotswolds AONB designated as a National Park. Huge opportunity for coordinated management and promotion of the area - and consistent planning.

Jim Clemence
👍

Wed 17 Jan 2018, 14:00

Great news yesterday that the inspector thinks that after many years the new West Oxfordshire Local Plan can be adopted providing WODC sorts out its approach to development of the Cotswolds AONB.

Angus B
👍

Tue 16 Jan 2018, 18:04

As I made my way along the station approach yesterday I was stopped by a taxi driver going in the other direction. On discovering I was making for the 15.04 to Reading he told me it had been cancelled and he'd take me to Oxford, courtesy of Network Rail. I don't know whether he meant GWR but, whoever had organised it, it was a most welcome gesture.

Dave Oates
👍

Tue 16 Jan 2018, 11:11

1000 Mile Highway and the Jesters are playing at The Shed on Friday 23rd Feb. Charlbury bands playing in Charlbury for Charlbury people!! And the good news is....its my birthday!

Alex Flynn
👍

Sun 14 Jan 2018, 16:37

All the trains I got last week were at least running (rather than mostly cancelled as per the week before) - although not always on time there are signs of improvement!

4 or 5 rail vouchers arrived through my door which covered most of the cost of this next week's tickets.

Phil Morgan
👍

Sun 14 Jan 2018, 14:23

Six Nations Rugby Live at the Memorial Hall on Saturday 10th February.
With a licensed bar! Many thanks to Jackie Hague for organising.
Scroll down the Adverts page for details. See you there...

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Mon 1 Jan 2018, 17:40

Lovely winters walk through Cornbury this afternoon, rainbows over Charlbury on two occasions and so lovely to see what felt like all our friends out and about. Happy New Year Charlbury!

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 24 Dec 2017, 20:37

It was a wonderful service!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 24 Dec 2017, 20:03

I don't think I've ever seen St Mary's as full as it was this evening for Carols by Candlelight. So lovely to see people from 9 months to 90 singing forth for a really special service.

Jim Holah
👍

Sun 24 Dec 2017, 11:48

Thanks to Jason at the community centre today for an excellent circuits session to tone us up for Xmas. About 30 people there enjoying this fantastic facility.

Rosemary Bennett
👍

Sun 24 Dec 2017, 04:36

I am so pleased that the Rushy Bank proposal has been approved. I welcome the opportunity for young local families to live in their own town. It is also heartening that Charlbury will be able to provide a home for young dementia residents. Well done Rushy Bank Partnership.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 23 Dec 2017, 21:21

Now that is good news.

Jim Holah
👍

Sat 23 Dec 2017, 18:10

Yes agreed....excellent news on Rushy Bank. Well done all involved

Tony Morgan
👍

Sat 23 Dec 2017, 18:03

A Trojan Horse to major ribbon development

Alice Millea
👍

Sat 23 Dec 2017, 18:02

Well said, Phil.

Phil Morgan
👍

Sat 23 Dec 2017, 16:11

Congratulations to the Rushy Bank Partnership in finally gaining planning permission for this development. At last sense has prevailed: a sustainable solution in a sensible place.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 14 Dec 2017, 12:06

Cent-a-Sidewalk - as a kid in Ontario it was a bye-law that householders were obliged to clear the sidewalk/pavement outside their premises. This was a boon to us kids from poor origins as a nice little earner, and I was doing this from before my first trip to England, i.e 7 years old. A nickel was quite a lot of dosh to take to the shops in those days!

Katie Ewer
👍

Thu 14 Dec 2017, 09:53

Yes, it was epic.

Miles Walkden
👍

Thu 14 Dec 2017, 09:46

Sunday = Best. Snow-day. Ever.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 13 Dec 2017, 20:48

So lovely to see 'discombobulated' in a Charlbury thread!

Rachael Gibbon
👍

Wed 13 Dec 2017, 17:07

Thank you to the kind souls who cleared snow and ice from the path of in front of the houses on the slope on Woodfield Drive (and indeed anyone who did the same anywhere in Charlbury). It was a generous gesture and I am very grateful, as I'm sure are my neighbours. Charlbury looked so pretty in the snow, but I'm so glad it's melting now!

Meryl Smith
👍

Wed 13 Dec 2017, 14:13

And don't forget we now have All Together In Charlbury, our good neighbour scheme, with volunteers available to provide informal help and support to people in the community who need it and who have no family, friends or existing good neighbours available. For further information see our page on this website in the Community (charity and world) section.

To ask for ATIC help call 01993 776277. The friendly staff of Volunteer Link-Up in Witney, who are acting as our "call-centre", will answer on our behalf. However, all our volunteers and the members of our Steering Group are local town residents.

Phil Morgan
👍

Wed 13 Dec 2017, 13:27

So good to see this thread revived! The Sunday snow might have left us a bit discombobulated but, boy, we bounce back! Well done to those who turned out that day to make the Christmas Fair such a success. And to those who cleared the packed snow off the town centre pavements on Tuesday. Warms the cockles don't it?

John Werner
👍

Tue 12 Dec 2017, 19:25

I have just seen year 3&4 Christmas play and it was absolutely amazing. Well done everyone involved. It really got my Christmas spirit going;-) Viva Charlbury Primary School! Merry festive season ☮

Hannen Beith
👍

Sat 4 Nov 2017, 13:39

James, I'm obliged. ;-)

James Styring
👍

Fri 3 Nov 2017, 10:50

For Hannen and others - CCTV cameras for £19.99 at ALDI: goo.gl/YWM6vF.
;-)

James Styring
👍

Fri 3 Nov 2017, 10:47

A big THANK YOU to all the householders on Ticknell Piece Road who welcomed hordes of witches and ghouls on Tuesday evening. You were very generous and patient!
Ticknell Piece Roaders deserve council tax relief to compensate them for the hundreds of pounds spent on sweets (and satsumas) every Halloween.

Phil Morgan
👍

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 12:07

The Charlbury "Volunteers" are at it again!
Please click on the 'Working Party' button at top left to find out where and when.
New volunteers will be warmly welcomed.

Charlie M
👍

Wed 18 Oct 2017, 11:57

Yes, David, the Rose & Crown has been showcasing wonderful live blues (and other kinds of music too) on a regular basis for many years now. And yes, Kent Duchaine on 3rd December will indeed be a brilliant night - Kent has been playing in Charlbury since the fabulous days of the still-lamented Hothouse.
But before Kent, there's *another* treat in store: on 25th November, Will Killeen will present an evening of dazzling guitar blues with a Celtic touch! Will is another musician who has been playing in Charlbury for well over 20 years, and who also dates back to the great days of The Hothouse.
All in all, a feast of great music! :-)

David Prudence
👍

Tue 17 Oct 2017, 15:43

On Charlie M's post below, I was sorry to miss Kris D last Saturday, but it is great that people in Charlbury have the opportunity to appreciate pre-war blues. Charley Patton in Charlbury - amazing. Look forward to Kent DuChaine in December.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Mon 16 Oct 2017, 10:13

Yey great news Panto tickets now on sale at Cotswold Frames

Charlie M
👍

Mon 16 Oct 2017, 08:25 (last edited on Mon 16 Oct 2017, 08:26)

More good news ...
An INCREDIBLE night of music from Kris Dollimore at The Rose & Crown on the night of Saturday 14th October! Kris played two sets of great blues, including his own compositions. Personal favourites included his arrangement of Bukka White's "Poor Boy (a long way from home)", Robert Johnson's "If I Had Possession Over Judgement Day", Rat Scabies' "Testify", and Charley Patton's "Moon Goin' Down". Kris finished his set with superb versions of "Wade in the Water", followed by Alex Harvey's "Gamblin' Bar Room Blues", both of which had the whole pub singing along with him!
At the end of the night, Kris was applauded out of the pub!
Thanks to Kris ... and thanks also to The Rose & Crown for all that you do! :-)

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 15 Oct 2017, 17:17 (last edited on Sun 15 Oct 2017, 17:23)

Today had a really nice time at the BELL HOTEL for my 80th Birthday meal with my lovely family. Thank you Luke for everything especially a very tasty roast.

Leah Fowler
👍

Sun 15 Oct 2017, 16:59

Lovely concert in the Memorial Hall this afternoon. Improviso for CRAG

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 21:36 (last edited on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 21:40)

It does, I was impressed.

Heather Williams
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 21:23

Well the Spendlove Centre Parking re-surfacing is done, looks very smart.

Leah Fowler
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 11:44

Brilliant, I am so pleased, Midge would have been delighted !

Jim Holah
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 10:51

Great news Martin, congratulations to all.

Martin prew
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 09:41

At the moment we don't kate but it is something that we are trying to get sorted.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 09:34

That is very good news indeed Martin!

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 09:32

Congratulations Martin - that's excellent news ! Well done! Do you have a fund-raising site or web link at all?
Kate

Martin prew
👍

Fri 13 Oct 2017, 07:41 (last edited on Fri 13 Oct 2017, 09:33)

Two bits of good news, firstly Charlbury Town Football & Sports Club's planning application for a new Clubhouse on Nine Acres has been approved and secondly having already had a pledge of £500 from one local resident, we have also just received a pledge of £100 from another local resident towards the new build. I would like to on behalf of the Club say a big thank you to these people.

Jim Holah
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 11:54 (last edited on Tue 10 Oct 2017, 12:08)

No you're right Tim, speedings not good news but residents working with the Police & Town Council to combat it is good news.

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 10:15

Great news Martin.

martin
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 09:42

Victory for both Charlbury Football teams on Saturday afternoon. First Team beat Hailey 5-1 the Reserves won 4-1 at Home to Spartan.

Tim at Cotswold Frames
👍

Tue 10 Oct 2017, 09:27

Is speeding appropriate to be in this thread sounds like the topic is straying somewhat not that it's not important.
This is supposed to be good news so here's mine I managed to get a decent lie in without hearing the dustbin men and their lorry seems that they get round later nowadays that is good news :-)

Jim Holah
👍

Mon 9 Oct 2017, 18:37 (last edited on Mon 9 Oct 2017, 18:37)

Community Speedwatch were on the case again this afternoon, trying to slow drivers along The Slade. Another batch of speeders recorded including a dozen drivers between 25 & 29 mph in the 20mph zone outside the school gates! We'll be out again soon.

Jenny Chambers
👍

Sun 8 Oct 2017, 17:40

Thank you Hannen. Good news on so many levels!

Marjorie Glasgow
👍

Sun 8 Oct 2017, 15:33

Alison Pritchard and her team put on a terrific Spendlove School reunion last evening. Over 100 guests turned out and certainly seemed to enjoy one another's company.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 7 Oct 2017, 17:04

The good news today is a brand new CHRISTMAS FAIR being launched on 10th DEC In Charlbury! See the News page .

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 4 Oct 2017, 12:28

Good news today, The Library self service machine is now working, see the News page.

Hannen Beith
👍

Mon 2 Oct 2017, 19:32

The new Deli is great. The staff are brilliant, and there is a lot of great stuff there.
Also, the new Community Centre, which I visited for the first time today. I was served by a very pleasant young man. It has a lovely "feel" to it and the Library is super. Well done Jenny, and to all who persevered to make it happen.

martin
👍

Mon 2 Oct 2017, 09:17

Thanks Pearl, we have had a very good start to the season with 4 wins from 4 games.
Hopefully this form will continue.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 1 Oct 2017, 21:18

30/9/17 Found some Good news Charlbury Town Reserves won 5-1 against Hanborough Res.

Phil Morgan
👍

Sat 30 Sep 2017, 12:02

Loving the sight of Red Kites soaring in Charlbury skies. Feel a bit sorry for the rooks who come out in squadrons from Hixet Wood to repel 'the enemy'. The Kites just use the thermals to gain altitude and stay out of reach. They seem to be having a great laugh! Get a pair of binoculars.

Steven Fairhurst Jones
👍

Fri 29 Sep 2017, 20:47

Whoever's put those two big planter tubs outside their house on Market Street has done a good job of brightening up that little part of town.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Mon 25 Sep 2017, 20:29

More good news, the speedwatch crew are out there slowing traffic down :)

Phil Morgan
👍

Sun 24 Sep 2017, 12:36

Yep,good stuff on this thread. More reasons to be cheerful: racing cyclists, library open, children in our new sports hall, more car parking, splendid Street Fair, the Deli/coffee shop, still got a Post Office, streets are cleaner, sun's shining!

Liz Puttick
👍

Sat 23 Sep 2017, 18:23

To see a tawney owl in daylight is very auspicious

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 23 Sep 2017, 17:39

Brilliant .Well done U7's Charlbury Youth Football Team. :)

Miles Walkden
👍

Sat 23 Sep 2017, 17:03

We had an Tawney Owl fly across our path on our morning walk this week.

Katie Ewer
👍

Sat 23 Sep 2017, 16:22

As was suggested previously, I though I would add an item for the good news thread. Charlbury Town U7 Youth Football Team won their match against Aston this morning 6-1. It was a great match with some excellent goals and saves.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.