Want an old phone for experimenting Open source software

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 21 Sep 2017, 21:02

Found it on 3rd retry! My google foo is not good. It lives on as Lineage OS

lineageos.org/

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/12/cyanogen-inc-shuts-down-cyanogenmod-in-christmas-bloodbath/

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 21 Sep 2017, 20:58

If I'm right at remembering this, I think Cyanogen has survived its corpserat demise as the codebase has been picked up as a free, open source project, but can't recall quite what its been renamed and a quick google didn't return anything ... istr a recent edition of Linux Format mag had a whole section on mobile operating system alternatives, but can't find it, drat ... will search that out.

Hans Eriksson
👍

Thu 21 Sep 2017, 18:00

I have successfully installed Cyanogenmod foss on an Android tablet. Although in my late 50s I am relatively good at computers. Unfortunately Cyaonogenmod is no longer available, it looks like there are some alternatives. I agree with your sentiment though.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Thu 21 Sep 2017, 17:22

You're missing the point a bit, Hans! I want to fiddle to learn how to do things, with an intent to move full use in the end of course to something ethical etc. Hence seeking any what are apparently called "burners". Ihe intent is to run as much of our house on FOSS - free and open source software. I've been using this for PCs and "home servers" for years, and have taken delivery of a really cute little Raspbery Pi computer today to set up a home media centre.

The Galaxy 4 mobile I was given works OK - had to buy a new battery - for "my mobile" for everyday use, but the Samsung implementation of Android is no longer supported for malware etc. as well as full of utter rubbish, advert intrusions and general horribleness.

If I find a Free Open Source Software (foss, the shouting filter is silly oversensitive so can't use the acronym properly!!) mobile phone setup that I can use every day, which I am told is possible on a couple of operating systems, then I'll make a full time switch. But I need to have one or two experimental victims which, if they crash needing a complete wipe and reload, won't leave me without a functional mobile!

The requirements are modest, an old phone or two will be quite adequate to learn how to and see if it's worth putting a FOSS operating system on something newer and better.

Alas I don't have the up to date skills to enable me to technically contribute (if I ever had that skill level at all, which I doubt). But have done technical writing in the past wher, and of course just reporting back to developers from low-skill level simple "users" is valuable - anyone can contribute to the community of Foss.

It's important because systems are already defining our lives ... and its hardly started yet!

Hans Eriksson
👍

Thu 21 Sep 2017, 09:12

While rooting isn't all that hard, you could consider the Nokia 3, 5 and 6 phones starting at £ 129 sim free. Car phone warehouse has them. They all use Android 7 stock and no bloat ware - just like a rooted phone. It helps they are very well built.

An old phone is probably not worth the bother - running an old version of Android and with a worn out battery.

Malcolm Blackmore
👍

Wed 20 Sep 2017, 18:34

Anyone got an old mobile phone they don't need? I've got fed up with Samsung's Android software and its "value added features" i.e clutterware and advertising *rap.

If anyone has something like a Galaxy 3 or 4 I'd like to experiment with installing a free and open source alternative operating system on it. I've only got a single Galaxy 4 and as it's my only phone don't want to put it out of use while I try to learn how to "get root" on a mobile! So, if you've got anything cluttering up a drawer, that would be great. Doesn't even need a working battery, this fiddling can be done tethered to a usb cord.

So have a whiffle about and see what you've forgotten in some corner!

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.