Gallery photos

Deleted user
👍

Tue 31 Jul 2007, 17:11

Thankyou to all those people who took photo`s and for having them posted on the charlbury website.

susan leckie
👍

Sun 29 Jul 2007, 19:44

Thanks John

Gives me a chill to think I could be looking at my family members in that photograph.

I showed my mum the photo of her aunt in the Daily Sketch, she's hoping we'll be able to track down more information about the accident.

Thank you to everyone for all your help.

Susan

john h
👍

Sun 29 Jul 2007, 19:10

Susan there is a picture of the funeral on this web pages under gallery (first old pictures)

John

susan leckie
👍

Sat 28 Jul 2007, 13:54

Hi Rob and Jon

Many thanks for your help.

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the tragedy and being able to add the information to my family history.

Susan

Rob Stepney
👍

Sat 28 Jul 2007, 11:36

Hi again Susan
The Oxford Times and Chronicle articles from 1999 don't seem to be available in the e-archives. If you send me your postal address, I'll happily forward photocopies. My e-mail is walcot2@freenetname.co.uk

Rob

Jon Carpenter
(site admin)
👍

Fri 27 Jul 2007, 14:40

Susan -- I'm sure Charlbury Museum could help you too, but they don't have a website. So I've forwarded your request to someone on the committee.

Jon

susan leckie
👍

Fri 27 Jul 2007, 12:52

Hi Rob

Many thanks for your help.

I live in Scotland so my Oxfordshire family history research is long distance and fairly difficult as I am relying on online resources.

I would really appreciate any information you have gleaned.

Susan

Rob Stepney
👍

Fri 27 Jul 2007, 12:31

Hi Susan
Somewhere -- and it may take a while for me to find exactly where -- I have copies of photographs of the party beating the bounds, including crossing the Evenlode in the punt, and of the funeral. In 1999, to mark the 75th anniversary, I wrote an account of the tragedy for the Oxford Times and the Charlbury Chronicle. I interviewed five people who either took part in the walk or were close by when the accident happened. Otherwise, my main source was the microfilmed copies of the Oxford Times, available in the Local Studies Section of Oxford Library. They might well also have a copy of the Daily Sketch. It was probably in the Oxford Times that I learned that 16 yr old Evelyn was a draper's assistant and pillar of the Baptist Sunday School. Give me a call if you'd like any further info.

Rob

susan leckie
👍

Thu 26 Jul 2007, 14:45

Hello

My mum's aunt, Evelyn Pickett who she was named after, is in the Gallery's photo of the Daily Sketch newspaper highlighting the tragic events of the 1924 Beating of the Bounds.

Can anyone help with the source of the newspaper and the funeral photo?

I have photos of Charlbury Fair 1954/5 would emailed copies be of interest for the Gallery?

Kind wishes

Susan

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.