The Rain...

Julie Negus
👍

Tue 31 Jul 2007, 16:53

Just looked at the cornbury park website. They have a lovely house available for rent.......(Fawler mill)
Must be slightly damp inside! still worth a heafty rent though.
Gave me a laugh.

dave giles
👍

Wed 25 Jul 2007, 19:12

any body want to buy some second hand down loaded flood pics ben e wriggle originals only thirty pence each.

Derek Collett
👍

Tue 24 Jul 2007, 10:09

Unfortunately John yobs love nothing better than a soft target.

John Munro
👍

Mon 23 Jul 2007, 22:50

When we went back down to the bridge yesterday, the stranded car had been removed, but left there were 4 piles of broken window glass - Do some people in Charlbury really have such poor morals that they thought it fun to smash the windows of this stranded car?

J Norris
👍

Mon 23 Jul 2007, 15:03

The roads from Charlbury to Pear Tree (A44, A34 & A40 interchange) were clear this morning.

Julie Negus
👍

Mon 23 Jul 2007, 14:42

How strange that the said photos have now dissapeared!!!
Hope normallity is starting to resume in Charlbury.

Alison Holthouse
👍

Mon 23 Jul 2007, 14:17

I don't suppose anyone has any up-to-date information on what it will be like coming from Reading to Charlbury today - any advice on best route/ potential flood problems/ roads to avoid would be apprectiated.

Derek Collett
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 23:28

I was able to view Ben's photos without parting with a penny so Ivan is all at sea (sorry) with his "exploitation" jibe. However, if Ben is using a made-up name (and some people might possibly consider "Benny Wriggle" to be a pseudonym) then perhaps Ivan can get him banned from the website on that pretext. What fun we do have!

Ed
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 23:07

In Oxford, Abingdon Road and Botley Road were closed on Sunday morning and are now underwater. Further severe flooding is predicted tonight in these areas and Osney Mead, Osney Island, Hinksey and Kennington areas. Buses are not able to use these roads. I believe the 20/20A are okay but missing out Yarnton but best to check in the morning (www.stagecoachbus.com/oxfordshire) as it might change overnight.

J Norris
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 22:57

Sorry - I wasn't clear. I live the other side of Charlbury beyond the station so I was trying to work out how to get to Charlbury and then on to Oxford. On that subject - does anyone know what the condition of roads in Oxford is like?

Ed
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 22:44

Not much need to get to the station for a while. This update from FGW at 22:30 Sunday:

The line between Didcot Parkway and Oxford is expected to be closed until at least Wednesday (due to sevre floosing south of Oxford).

The line between Oxford and Worcester/Hereford will remain closed until at least Monday 6th July (due to severe flooding at Moreton-in-Marsh, Evesham, Worcester, Malvern and Ledbury).

There will be no alternative road transport on these routes due to condition of local roads.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 22:22

Fawler Mill Bridge has a "road closed" sign from the Charlbury direction but not the Witney one (the direction from which we approached)... so make of that what you will.

Ivan's insulting comment was directed to Ben who clearly took a great deal of effort to take and upload some (very good) photos. I saw no attempt to make money. If there had been a rational argument there I wouldn't have snipped it, but random abuse has no place here.

The best way to the station? Walking, I guess! But I realise that isn't an option available to everyone. Pound Hill is, I believe, open again but I may be wrong.

J Norris
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 22:18

Thanks to Richard for the great photos and video and then also for the update on the roads. Does anyone know the best route to get from Charlbury to the station now that the bridge of station road is closed? If Pound Hill is closed then the Spelsbury - Chad route isn't viable. The Leafield Road (or Forest Road) is blocked because of a fallen tree. John D's comment about the bridge at Fawler Mill - I used this from the Stonesfield direction this evening and the road was open all the way.

Andy Godfrey
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 21:23

Natasha, I can only guess that Ivan's abuse was directed at someone trying to make money from a situation which has caused much misery to a few Charlbury people. If that is the case, I for one am in Ivan's corner.

John D
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 18:19

Yesterday I advised the police that the damage to Charlbury river bridge put people and traffic at risk - the parapet and its supporting wall have gone, and the footpath tarmac is hanging over fresh air. Couple of HGVs and likely that the rest of the bridge will be in the river.

The parapet has gone at Fawler Mill (Finstock) bridge on the road to Witney. If the supporting wall has also been damaged (I have not looked) then there is a risk to users and I expect that's why the road had been closed there also.

Trouble is, once one user drives past or moves the 'road closed' signs, others follow.

Ever seen a bridge collapse after a flood?

I have. Happens suddenly and with no warning.

Better to find another route to Witney!!

Natasha Merriman
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 18:15

I'm intrigued as to what Ivan's abuse might have been.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 17:34

The Evenlode has gone down a lot. There's no water over any of the roads any more, but some bridges (e.g. Pound Hill and Shipton) are still closed persumably because of structural damage.

The Witney road is open despite a 'Road closed' sign after the Stonesfield turn - ignore it.

However, the Windrush is still well up. Crawley is impassable unless you have a 4x4; Minster Lovell too. The bridge in Witney West End is closed so you have to go round the bypass... or up to Burford, where the A361 is open (but the lights are out).

Julie Negus
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 17:29

What's it like there today....has the river started to go down.
What is the damage like?

ivan krechov
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 13:34

(abuse snipped, yet again -- Richard)

ben hopefully i will meet you at the street fair job sorted.

Natasha Merriman
👍

Sun 22 Jul 2007, 11:24

I'm sorry to see the situation in Charlbury. I hope that not too many people have their homes wrecked. Here in Hull the pictures weren't so dramatic but 17000 homes were affected included ours (you don't want to imagine how our carpets smell!). Keep safe and look after each other.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 23:10

Catsham Bridge at Chadlington was passable with care this afternoon. 1st gear, walking pace, not too much bow wave. Managed to get to and from Long Hanborough via Leafield, Finstock and North Leigh.

The wall South of the river bridge at Chilson has collapsed into the road so it will remain impassable even after the water level drops.

Nikki Cooke
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 21:13

Hi Helen, Thanks for that.

So, you can get through Burford at the bridge? If Shipton isn't passable, is there another way that won't take 5 hours?

Not sure about what the buses will do at this stage.

Here's hoping that things clear!

Helen Wilkinson
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 20:54

Nikki, Sue J says the bridge at Shipton may become passable, the Windrush at Burford is flooded at the bridge and the traffic lights are out. You can see the situation at Charlbury from the fantastic pictures - thanks Richard.

Nikki Cooke
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 20:42

Evening,

I am hoping that I will be able to get to Burford from Chippy on Monday morning so I can get to work. Is the situation likely to improve in the next 36 hours?

Ben E. Wriggle
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 18:59

Here's a link to a few pictures taken earlier today of the flooding around Charlbury

www.photoboxgallery.com/Norton

Cathryn Taylor
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 18:13

Sky News are doing some good coverage of West Oxfordshire, the reporter is now in Witney and has been in Ascot-under-Wychwood

Charlie M
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 16:51

I left Milton Park, Didcot at 4.30pm on Friday and got back to Charlbury - via Swindon (!) at 9pm. And then only because I decided to ignore a "Road Closed" sign at Lechlade. I came back via Burford (which was not too bad at all) and - thankfully - Dyers Hill, which would not have been possible a few hours later. I couldn't understand why the police had closed the A34 until someone who I was just talking to said that the water was 4" deep on the A34 at Abingdon.

mandy
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 14:53

finstock is not that bad the plough is flooded but only there seller you can get past but you cant get through wilcot and ashfordmill is under 4foot of water.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 13:35

Pics here, movie here!

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 12:20

My brother has just sent me some photos......I am now sat here with shock. I can' t believe the station road amazing.And the cricket field. Wow!!!

Cathryn Taylor
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 11:00

Last night my parents got back to Finstock from Witney by going A40, Woodstock, Stonesfield...could you go out through Woodstock Road way?

Julie Negus
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 10:55

Please cold someone take photos and post please....can't believe that the river is so high. Thanks

Christine Battersby
👍

Sat 21 Jul 2007, 09:14

Radio Oxford has announced road between Charlbury & Witney blocked; also road to Burford. Is there a way through to Witney? Would really appreciate any information.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2007, 20:36

My wife had to abandon her car on the way back from Swindon to Charlbury.

I had a wedding to go to in Ledbury today. Got four miles within reach and had to turn back because all the roads were completely impassable. Seven-and-a-half hours round trip including a lot of back roads!

A44 appeared to be blocked at Salford. A429 impassable just south of Stow-on-the-Wold. Charlbury-Burford road was pretty bad around midday, dread to think what it's like now.

Kate Smith
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2007, 16:32

I couldn't get through from Bridewell to Finstock earlier, around 2 o'clock - a Landrover had cut out in the dip beyond Hunt's Copse - and I don't think it will have got any better since

Cathryn Taylor
👍

Fri 20 Jul 2007, 16:10

Whats it like over there? Anybody know what Finstock is like? My husband heard on Fox FM that it had flooded down by the Plough up to the car windscreens...is it that bad?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.