GWR Charlbury: The Adventure Starts Here

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 10 Aug 2017, 17:11

I've had one delivered today if anyone would like it you are quite welcome.

Philip Ambrose
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 21:37

Received mine this morning. Maybe the disrupted service between here and London over the recent past has forced GWR into something it never felt it had to do until Oxford Parkway opened, namely marketing!

Good to see some activity and maybe we will get back to having a station and service that we can be proud of once more. It will take more than a glossy brochure to get me to pay over £60 for a ticket though!

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 20:04

Peter, the leaflet came with the post, but without a stamp. I'm not sure if it is going to everyone or if it is because they know my Railcard is up for renewal -- or perhaps because they know that I often use Chiltern & Oxford Parkway. It's expensively printed on very thick paper, and folds out to a large diagram with signs and pictures to venues in London, Oxford and Worcester.

If you haven't received it, Peter, by the end of the week, email me and I will pass it on. If you need it before then, just let me know.

Rachael Lunney
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 19:17

I had not had one

Peter Kenrick
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 17:21

Christine. Do you know where I can get a copy of that leaflet? - I haven't seen it. Claire King the GWR station manager is coming to talk to the Town Council about operational matters on Monday 21st August and I would like to put these points to her then. PLEASE NOTE: Claire is NOT coming to discuss plans for the car park extension - we are expecting a separate update on that later in the year.

Christine Battersby
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 16:16

The printed GWR leaflet that was posted through my door this morning is seriously misleading. The leaflet is titled "Charlbury: The adventure starts here". And it would certainly lead to some (mis)adventures if visitors relied on the information it gives.

--"Park nearby: "You'll find plenty of spaces right next to the station". Well, after about 10.00 on weekdays during school terms (often even earlier), probably not ...
--"Hop on a bus": "There are bus stops located outside the station entrance". Sorry! These current run about 5 days a year to the Wilderness Festival, & those trips are not on that timetable board.
-- Charlbury station: "Open 24/7" -- Yes, in the sense that the platforms are not closed off. But the buildings and the loos (even the gentlemen's toilets) are closed. Otherwise the times are Monday - Friday 05:50 - 12:20; Saturday 06:30 - 12:35; Sunday Closed.
-- "Need a hand at the station? No problem. If you need a wheelchair, with luggage or anything else, call our Helpline ..." Much good that will do, given the very limited opening hours, and the fact that there is only one person available to sell tickets and all the rest.

-- Also, the cost of parking listed is from £2.40 (the Saturday and Sunday rates). Otherwise it is £4, slightly less online. And it states that parking can be paid for by "cash, card or phone" -- but usually the machines don't take cash, & often the card facilities don't work either. They also don't mention the APR system that leaves visitors 20 minutes to sort out an alternative way to pay.

Is GWR simply out of touch with the way things are at Charlbury? Or is this a deliberate attempt to cover up a poor situation -- perhaps in response to the new competition from Chiltern? In either case, it is likely to mislead visitors to our town. With the Tour of Britain scheduled for 9 September, & many visitors expected to visit by train, we should expect better from GWR.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.