RIP Siegfried and Cornelius

Charlie M
👍

Mon 7 Aug 2017, 13:04

I happened to go to the hairdresser one day, and he was there. A lovely 15 minutes or so of great conversation; he was utterly gracious and charming throughout. A very sad loss; the world needs more like him.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Fri 4 Aug 2017, 16:41

This wonderful man was also kind enough to open Street Fair on two occasions, most recently in 2010 with a Street Fair theme of "All Creatures Great and Small" set in his honour. There are a couple of photos of him at that event in the gallery at www.charlbury.info/gallery/street_fair_2010

Sue Normand
👍

Fri 4 Aug 2017, 12:01

Thats lovely Jody - lucky you, and him! I used to keep my horse there and occasionally say hello ..

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Fri 4 Aug 2017, 06:19

Thank you Marjorie.

Tony H Merry
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 22:24

I remember him well as Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester in Elizabeth R a BBC series from 1971
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_R#Cast
and to see him in action
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeUCTi25bZo
where he gave an excellent performance as 'mine eyes' in Elizabeth's words and of course there is a strong local connection there as he died at Cornbury in 1588 in the Leicester Room when he was visiting Lettice Knollys on his way from Tilbury (where Elizabeth 1st made her speech on the Spanish Armada) to Buxton to take the waters.
He was a great actor

nigel rosser
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 22:19

Yes. Top man.

Marjorie Glasgow
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 22:01

There are times I wish there was a 'like' button on the Forum. If there was one, I would click it for your comments, Jody. Beautifully written.

Jody O'Reilly
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 21:04

About two years ago on my birthday I was walking through Cornbury Park, doing a site visit assessing the setting of pre-historic barrows for Southill Solar as it happens, and I ran into Hardy, who I knew lived nearby. We said hello, as two walkers do, and- on passing - I wished him happy birthday as I also knew (from being a childhood fan of Siegfried Farnon), that we shared that in common. He looked up, smiling and surprised and on that slightly misty, soon to be sunny, beautiful autumn morning I shared a wonderful half hour of conversation and appreciation of where we were with a man I greatly admired. I could tell he was feeling his full years even back then, I hope he had many more lovely walks through that beautiful place before he passed on, to the next place.

Andrew Chapman
👍

Thu 3 Aug 2017, 17:02 (last edited on Thu 3 Aug 2017, 17:09)

Former local resident Sir Robert Hardy has died, aged 91.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.