Any hedgehog rescue experts out there?

Suzanne Flynn
👍

Fri 7 Jul 2017, 22:58

Hello Brigid,we had two baby hedgehogs in our garden with no sign of mum. They were out in the sun and covered in flies.I gather they are at huge risk if out in daylight and being covered in flies is disastrous.
We took them to the vet at Chipping Norton who were very helpful and took them off us. They will treat them if necessary and send them to Tiggywinkles or release them. Good luck

Jackie Hague
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 18:10

That is good news Brigid, I do hope the little one survives. Thank you for the info on West Oxford Animal Rescue, much nearer than Vale and St Tiggywinkles.

Brigid Avison
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 16:44

Thank you Jackie and Sidley for those suggestions. I phoned St Tiggywinkles to get some phone advice, and they were very helpful. They suggested that I get it to a local rescue centre, and recommended checking on the www.helpwildlife.co.uk site to find the nearest. As a result I contacted the West Oxford Animal Rescue Centre which is based in OX2 but also has a charity shop in Eynsham, which I rang -- they had a local hedgehog rescuer, so I have just taken him/her over to the shop. Very helpful people -- and they were going to take the hedgepiglet to the local vet, who they must have a good relationship with! Fingers crossed....

Sidley
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 15:42

Hi Brigid, I once also had to rescue a very poorly hedgehog and I contacted Little Foxes wildlife rescue (they are based in Oxford) who deal with all sorts of wildlife in distress. www.littlefoxes.org.uk/ You can ring them on 01844 279469 and they can talk you through what to do, which they did with me, which was fantastic and I managed to save the wee soul. They are a charity who are amazing and have helped me twice, give them a try! Good luck :)

Jackie Hague
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 12:20

Hello Brigid, You could try Vale Wildlife Hospital. The hospital is located at Station Road, Beckford, just off the A46 about halfway between Evesham and Tewkesbury. The telephone number is 01386 882288.

Brigid Avison
👍

Tue 4 Jul 2017, 11:49

We have a young hedgehog (about 4in long when rolled into a ball) which we found early on Saturday morning on our grass. It may be sick, but did eat a saucer of chicken-based pet food on Sunday evening, though last night ate hardly anything. What to do?! If you have any tips, we'd welcome them. It squeaks plaintively in the evening but so far no mother has reclaimed it.... The nearest rescue centre seems to be Tiggywinkles, which is quite a drive away.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.