Hans Eriksson
👍

Tue 9 May 2017, 16:40

EXIF data can be removed.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Tue 9 May 2017, 16:21

Trevor, you are correct that it is not simply a matter of landscape as opposed to portrait, however it is probably not random but dependent on the "EXIF orientation" value encoded in the picture file as explained here www.impulseadventure.com/photo/exif-orientation.html. Nor would it be correct to describe this situation as bug, but rather software working as it was designed to do, but camera technology moving beyond its design specs.

Trevor Taylor
👍

Tue 9 May 2017, 12:47

Sadly it's not as simple as using landscape as opposed to portrait formats. If that were the case then landscape pics would not be displayed upside-down. The results do seem to be random but we look forward to the new version of the software with the bug corrected.

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 8 May 2017, 15:26 (last edited on Mon 8 May 2017, 15:30)

Pleased you mentioned that Richard as I was about to say Charlbury will have more houses than people to rent them soon but had spotted Hailey so thought well not too close for 85 houses. The Charlbury web site is like a newspaper to me very informative and extremely useful at times . Long may it continue with your hard work Richard ,may we still have a 'like' button. please. :)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 8 May 2017, 14:57

While on the subject of little quirks of the website... particularly attentive readers will be relieved to know that no, that isn't a planning application for 85 new houses in Charlbury. The automatic planning application searcher looks for anything with "Charlbury" in the address and posts it... and this application is for Charlbury Road, Hailey!

Liz Puttick
👍

Mon 8 May 2017, 13:47

Another simple solution for photos already taken is to upload them sideways or upside down ;)

Charlie M
👍

Mon 8 May 2017, 13:22 (last edited on Mon 8 May 2017, 13:23)

For your information, as one who puts up photos on the "Events" part of the website on a regular basis (for live music at The Rose & Crown), you need to use photos that are wider than they are tall, otherwise they get rotated through 90 degrees, but perhaps that issue has been corrected by now.

Annie Johnson
👍

Mon 8 May 2017, 09:10

Thanks for that Richards I shall have a look at the settings app and see if I can resolve.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Mon 8 May 2017, 08:17

Yep, Richard B's explanation is more or less what's happening. If you can hold on for a few more months it's fixed in the next version of the website which I'm working on at the moment. For now, the best way to avoid it is to make sure you hold your camera or phone upright when taking a pic, rather than rotating it.

Richard Broughton
(site admin)
👍

Sun 7 May 2017, 23:43

That's a job for Richard F. Modern camera and smart phones often code the camera orientation into the photo file and I think what is happening is that the code to display photos in this website follows that embedded information. That may be why we get a lot of sideways photos as well.

Annie Johnson
👍

Sun 7 May 2017, 21:26

Have been putting some photos of garden furniture on advert site and photos are appearing upside down! Have more to upload but rather embarrassed as to what I am doing wrong! Photos seem to be in order when press the load app but then appear wrong way when submitted so grateful for some techy help?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.