20mph limit

David Court
👍

Fri 5 May 2017, 09:15

As a member of the action group looking at getting around in Charlbury I agree with Philips comments and our group has already started looking at a change of priority solution at Enstone crossroads plus reviewing the problems on the Slade/school as well as the junction at the bottom of Nine Acres. If anybody would like to join our group then please contact me via this site

Philip Ambrose
👍

Thu 4 May 2017, 22:37 (last edited on Fri 5 May 2017, 13:18)

Tony makes a very valid point - traffic volumes in Charlbury are nothing like those in Oxford.

There is a lot of twaddle talked about speeding in Charlbury, only rarely is it backed by statistics.

However much some people might like to think that Charlbury is the centre of the universe, it is actually a quiet backwater in the Cotswolds (and long may it remain so!). Hardly anyone with a modicum of common sense would choose the B4026 / B4022 / B4437 as through routes to anywhere distant. Most traffic is local. The 20mph plan for the centre has some merit, but is largely self enforcing anyway due to parked cars. Please do not expect much Police enforcement, TVP has much bigger fish to fry with their scarce resources.

I wonder if anyone has done any research into the effect of 20mph limits on speeding elsewhere? If I was a multi-drop delivery driver who lost time on my journey due to "unduly low" speed limits, would I be more tempted to speed elsewhere to make up lost time?

How long before we bring back the man with the red flag?

The Enstone Road problem could largely be solved by altering the priorities, particularly as regards traffic coming from Enstone. On this forum someone imaginatively suggested a 3-way give way system.

Personally speaking, I am at least as concerned at the chaos caused by commuters' inconsiderate parking at the bottom of Nine Acre and impeding the passage of emergency service vehicles. Yellow lines please!

Tony H Merry
👍

Thu 4 May 2017, 22:14

I noted this from the DOT information on rural speed limits
'In some circumstances it might be appropriate to consider an
intermediate speed limit of 40 mph prior to the 30 mph terminal speed limit
signs at the entrance to a village'
So perhaps a 40 mph limit from say Banbury Hill Farm on Enstone road or even extend the 30mph to that point

David Thomas
👍

Thu 4 May 2017, 10:49

Richard, what is the AADT threshold value?
Picking up on Tony's point: the survey conducting near Hill Close approx 2-years ago showed that there was a 24-hour average of ~5300 vehicle movements in total (i.e. northound + southbound), across a 7-day period.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 23:32

David - it's absolutely not that it's less important, it's that Department for Transport regulations require physical traffic calming before a 20mph limit can be introduced on roads with higher AADT (Annual Average Daily Traffic, i.e. traffic flow). If you can successfully lobby the County Council to pay for such measures, go for it.

David Thomas
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 23:10

Looking back through previous posts indicates that speeding along Sturt Road and The Slade are as much a concern as that within the town's central area. The whole of the built up area should be included within the 20mph limit - is pedestrian safety and noise nuisance somehow less important in the vacinity of the 'through roads'.

Tony H Merry
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 16:32

Thanks Richard
I would suggest that OCC officers take a look at Oxford. I don't think that the Enstone crossroads is anywhere near as busy as say Banbury Road in Summertown where the 20 mph limit is very effective
I found that on Banbury Road A4166 there were an estimated 43,000 vehicles last year. There is no comparable data for the Enstone crossroad but I would guess around 10% of that so what is the problem? As far as I can remember physical traffic calming in Summertown is minimal

Mark Luntley
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 14:42

I was in Oxford on Monday and was walking along a 20mph suburban road. What was unusual was that a series of six planters with shrubs had been put in on both sides at about 50m apart. A couple of bike storage bars had also been fitted to some of the planters. The tarmac between the planters had been painted with a checkerboard pattern.

So nothing terribly expensive, but the effect on what otherwise would have been a straight road was to slow down the traffic, and create an attractive feature. The aim was clearly to open up the street space to other than just road users.

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 12:19

It was a fippant comment aimed at the road conditions not at any road in particular my wheels are getting damaged by the potholes I think it's time to get them in order as well as new speed limits the cost of signage will be nothing to what the cost of rebuilding roads Will be

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 11:45

Paul. You obviously don't spend much time on the Enstone Rd.

Paul Taylor
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 11:33

Most of the roads around Charlbury are in such a state that 20 mph is plenty fast enough

Liz Leffman
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 11:10

Thanks for this, Richard. I'm very much behind what you propose and will back whatever the Town Council believes is the right approach, whether I am the county councillor or not after tomorrow's vote. I agree about the Enstone crossroads - and I also think we need to look at making traffic priorities clearer there. There are a number of other traffic issues that need to be addressed as well, by the way, including the yellow lines at the bottom of Nineacres Lane, and better priority markings on Park Street, which I know the Town Council has brought to the attention of the County.

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 10:06

Those of us on Enstone Rd near to Hundley Way would certainly support your proposal Richard.

Alan Cobb
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 10:02

Richard, I see Dyers Hill does not seem to be included in your list. We may be one of the busier through roads, but we already have speed bumps installed so should comply with the government requirements for a 20mph limit.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 3 May 2017, 09:44

A few people have asked me in the street what's happening with the proposed 20mph limit in Charlbury, so I thought I'd write up a full answer here!

Oxfordshire County Council (the highway authority) has money for the traffic order that will set up the limit, and Charlbury Town Council has allocated money to pay for the signs themselves. All that needs to be agreed is the area to which the 20mph limit will apply.

Official Government guidance means that 20mph limits cannot be applied to busier through roads unless physical traffic calming is installed (chicanes, bumps etc.), for which there is currently no money. In practice, this means that a 20mph limit would not be approved on the Slade, Sturt Road and Nine Acres Lane.

I therefore drew up a proposal to cover everything in the area encircled by the B-roads - so that's everything in between Enstone Road, Hixet Wood, Wellington Cottages, and Market Street - as well as the Green/Ditchley Road area. Given the concern about safety at the Enstone Road crossroads, I also suggested that this and its immediate approaches (including the Hundley Way junction) should be covered by the 20mph limit, making the crossing much safer for people walking from the Green, Ticknell Piece and around. The Town Council agreed to put this plan forward to OCC.

OCC officers are a little nervous about applying the 20mph limit to the Enstone Road crossroads because it is on a busier through road. However, they have said that they will be informed by the view that our County Councillor takes following the elections this Thursday.

So I hope there'll be further progress after Thursday - and that whoever is elected as County Councillor will feel able to support a 20 limit and improved safety at the Enstone Road crossroads. Fingers crossed.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.