Where are all the 40- and 50-somethings?

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 16 Apr 2017, 19:07

Liz I think you just delivered my leaflet! I certainly wouldn't consider you an oldie by any means. :)

Liz Leffman
👍

Sun 16 Apr 2017, 18:52 (last edited on Sun 16 Apr 2017, 18:54)

And not all of us oldies want to stop and put our feet up. I've still got a few years left in me I hope!

Liz Reason
👍

Sun 16 Apr 2017, 15:25

Who suggested that older people are out of touch?

Tony H Merry
👍

Sat 15 Apr 2017, 22:07

I am not happy with the suggestion that as Older people we are out of touch
Ageism in common parlance and age studies usually refers to negative discriminatory practices against old people, people in their middle years, teenagers and children.
I do discuss issues with my grandchildren who have surprisingly good ideas
At least we do have younger people who we can ask about issues and generally get a very good response
i do remember that when younger all my time when not working was taken up with the family and only now have time to consider all these issues

Suzie Williams
👍

Fri 14 Apr 2017, 08:04

:-)

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2017, 22:46

You'll have to join the queue - I've got a claim in against Liz for her outrageous allegation there are no "younger people" on the Town Council. --Richard, aged 42 and three quarters

Paul Butler
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2017, 21:53

I have never heard of Suzie Williams and will be speaking to the local PCSO to seek redress in law for the claim of friendship.

Suzie Williams
👍

Wed 12 Apr 2017, 23:11

I'm one of Paul's friends, I'm in my mid-forties and like him and our other friends, I have young children and am very involved in their two schools and the activities each of them take part in. I'm a governor of our primary school, I write for the Chronicle and support local Charlbury events as much as possible, but I am also self-employed and work full-time so there isn't much time to take on other stuff. Perhaps the previous generation of 40-50 year olds had older children and fewer work commitments? Having said that, there are plenty of us in our forties in the town so surely if we all do a bit - and my friends certainly do - by volunteering for just one thing maybe, there'd be a new wave of energy in the town which it sounds like everyone would welcome!

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 12 Apr 2017, 16:24

Thanks Paul. I was wondering whether this generation of parents have had their children later are still more involved in childcare in middle age. We're also seeing as the town council that younger people aren't putting themselves forward, just for two evenings a month. Charlbury will change, and perhaps in ways that will make it less attractive to live in.

Paul Butler
👍

Wed 12 Apr 2017, 14:54

The demographic has changed a little perhaps....I'm nearly 50 and, like my friend group, all have young children who still take most of our after school time and weekends. Some of us volunteer to support them and others in sporting or school activities and would love the time to do something for themselves. Economics and changing focus on career (to enable us to afford a little house to live in) mean that the cohort of 40 to 50 year olds available now are not the same as those of 20 years ago.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 12 Apr 2017, 14:20

The recent town survey established that there is a large number of interesting and lively special interest groups in the town, that many people appreciate hugely. But you know what? The people running these clubs and societies have been doing so for 20 or 25 years? And now they're feeling it's time for others to take over - others who are in their 40s and 50s as they were when they started? So where are you guys?

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.