Community Speedwatch volunteers

Liz Reason
👍

Fri 14 Apr 2017, 17:20

Are we always to wait while others do not do our bidding? As OCC is starved of cash, parish councils have to pick up more and take initiatives.

Phil Morgan
👍

Thu 13 Apr 2017, 18:00

Well, of course, The Slade is in fact "a by-pass to somewhere else". It is a B-road through route to Witney and Woodstock.
There is little chance of OCC Highways doing any design work on a through route. The only option is enforcement in cooperation with TVP.

Liz Reason
👍

Wed 12 Apr 2017, 14:23

We need to change the design of The Slade so that people don't feel it's just their bypass to somewhere else.

Pearl Manners
👍

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 13:52

Oh dear, sorry I asked the question David! Then of course you have got the 20mph limit when school lights are flashing which mostly gets ignored would be within that stretch. When the new house build starts along that stretch of road maybe that will slow things down even though create more traffic, but that's another subject....

David Thomas
👍

Mon 10 Apr 2017, 12:26

A pair of average speed cameras (1 at either end of The Slade-Sturt Road) would very effectively keep speeds down to the 30mph limit.
According to Jenoptik, a SPECS3 based 2-camera system would start from around £55k for outright purchase. Leasing options do exist and other councils have used these to lower up-front costs: this could be attractive as the income from the fines can be then used to cover the leasing costs, lowering the total cost of ownership.
Costs can also be lowered by getting other towns in the Thames Valley Police area to enforce their own 30mph limit ?" this enables the same back office server to be shared, reducing costs.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 9 Apr 2017, 13:37

What about an official Speed Camera or is that too expensive?

Jean Adams
👍

Sat 8 Apr 2017, 20:50

Why can we not have more 30mph flashing signs instead of volunteers who may not be able to correctly assess the speeds.

Pearl Manners
👍

Sat 8 Apr 2017, 08:51

My thoughts exactly Alan, not that I'm in any position to offer to help.

Peter Kenrick
👍

Fri 7 Apr 2017, 21:38

I suggest that those who wish to be involved get together and contact Sgt Neal Templey as requested by Wesley in his post of 3rd April. I'm sure that Neal will be able to answer your queries and concerns.

Alan Jenkins
👍

Fri 7 Apr 2017, 20:37

I would dearly like to see traffic speed throughout Charlbury reduced somehow. I live on the Slade and traffic speed here exceeding the 30 mph limit is both prolific and persistent. I wouldn't mind volunteering for this project but do have reservations.One is, as Paul suggests, that the control of traffic speed is really a police job and my second relates to the first in that what repercussions from drivers are these speedwatch volunteers likely to endure. This comment is based on an incident recently that happened to me outside my house. I saw a car travelling through the Slade from the Witney direction towards Crawborough, this Mercedes car was travelling so fast that it was obviously far exceeding the speed limit and it stopped me in my tracks as I watched it race past. Suddenly the car stopped reversed back the driver wound down his window and gave me a lot of verbal abuse,'what are you looking at' etc, and then drove off. What would happen to speedwatch volunteers in a case like this, I'm sure it would happen. Also,scarily, what if a character like I mention above found out where a volunteer lived !!!. I'm all for trying slow traffic down and will help where I can but should it be done like this or by the professionals?.
Comments welcome.

Jane Parsons
👍

Wed 5 Apr 2017, 22:48

Michelle. Please add me to your list of volunteers for a community speed watch. My contact number is 810822

Jim Holah
👍

Mon 3 Apr 2017, 18:54

I'm sure nobody will be involved unless proper arrangements are in place with TVP and the Town Council.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 3 Apr 2017, 17:27 (last edited on Tue 4 Apr 2017, 18:11)

Jim I agree but when I reported a dangerous car being driven in Charlbury that had a tyre worn through the canvas and clearly could have blown at any time nothing was done by the local officer same with some parking blocking paths the police officer put letters threw our door asking for witnesses for damages to cars that parked blocking the paths the owner were also driving a uninsured car about at the same time which the police also didn't check correctly. Thanks Jim but I still believe some thing as important as speeding should be delt with correctly also how legal is it are you insured correctly also risk assessments the possibility of causing an accident through people swerving or braking suddenly.

Jim Holah
👍

Mon 3 Apr 2017, 16:24

Well thanks for your thoughts Paul, but I'm sure you will allow those of us who wish to offer our services as volunteers to do so under the watchful eye and support of TVP. Whilst not disagreeing with the principle that the Police are the enforcers and our Council Tax should provide sufficient revenue, politicians have decided to impose cuts inhibiting this activity. The speed of drivers approaching & driving through Charlbury is a real problem for everybody and there have always been volunteers supporting the Police in a range of activities, such as this. I'll continue with the idea to see how it goes.

Heather Williams
👍

Mon 3 Apr 2017, 13:27

I agree with Paul, it should be done by the correct people. Watching people drive and in and out the Spendlove car park around 8.45-9am is worth watching, erratic and fast driving in and out.

Paul Taylor
👍

Mon 3 Apr 2017, 13:18

Any volunteers to do my job as a tax payer I think the job of Policeing should be done by correct people the police force sorry if this upsets any one but that's how I feel end of storie.

Wesley Smith
👍

Mon 3 Apr 2017, 08:48

Hi all. If you would like to get involved with the community speedwatch could you please contact my sergeant Neal Templey Neal.Templey@thamesvalley.pnn.police.uk

Thank you.

Jim Holah
👍

Wed 29 Mar 2017, 23:00

Has any one responded to the TVP proposal elsewhere on this site? This can only be successful in coordination with the Police.

David Thomas
👍

Wed 29 Mar 2017, 21:59 (last edited on Wed 29 Mar 2017, 22:00)

Count me in as well.

James Styring
👍

Tue 28 Mar 2017, 22:52

Me.
I can provide a speed gun too.

Simon Himmens-Warrick
👍

Tue 28 Mar 2017, 14:26

I'd be up for helping. Fed up with the speeds outside our house at times.

michele marietta
👍

Tue 28 Mar 2017, 14:02

Hello. Is there anyone out there who'd like to form part of a volunteer group rota for the community speedwatch? I'm delighted to know that I can energy I usually spend on grouchy rants to good use as part of a speedwatch team. Let me know.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.