Charlbury is now in detail in Google Earth

Deleted user
👍

Tue 31 Jul 2007, 17:15

I`ve seen it And now I have to clean the car.

Simon Tibbitts
👍

Fri 22 Jun 2007, 19:39

Hi All.

All the pictures taken from the company DigitalGlobe can be dated and bought/viewed on their website. All you have to do is click the 'DigitalGlobe Coverage' tick box on Google Earth which is last in the layers tab. Zoom out and you can see the individual pictures taken and the dates. Clicking on the dates shows the actual pic on the DigitalGlobe website. Charlbury is split down the middle so half has been taken by a different company so may well be a completely different time! The West of Charlbury was photographed Jun 30th 2006. Don't know about the East of Charlbury.

Sorry to ruin the guessing game! Don't hate me if I'm wrong. I found the info from the Google Earth Community site.

- Simon

John Kearsey
👍

Thu 21 Jun 2007, 14:05

Frank - you show a touching faith in our train service!

Ian Lewis
👍

Thu 21 Jun 2007, 09:49

Sorry, the previous posting should read 'it is pre-October 2005'

Ian Lewis
👍

Thu 21 Jun 2007, 09:37

It is post October 2005....there is a red car on our driveway which we sold in late October.

Frank Payne
👍

Wed 20 Jun 2007, 08:54

Looking at the number of cars parked at the railway station suggests a weekday rather than a weekend. Also the number looks too high for the very early morning trains. About 4.5 miles along the track towards Hanborough is what looks like an 8 carriage HST, going towards Oxford. Most likely this would have left Charlbury around 8.40 if on time, suggesting the image was taken at about 8.45 on a week day morning. There are cars parked at the school which makes me think it is before the school holidays, suggesting sometime in June or early July. So my best guess: about 8.45 on a weekday morning in early summer. Not so sure about which year, but I would guess 2005.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 19 Jun 2007, 18:56

So, if John H is right, it was between 1030-1100 on Sunday May 29 or Monday 30, or Sunday June 5, 12, 19 or 26 2005.

Are we getting warm?

graham W
👍

Tue 19 Jun 2007, 17:32

I think it may be a Sunday or B/H Monday as I can see my lorry parked in the yard.

Michael Flanagan
👍

Tue 19 Jun 2007, 16:13

It's no more than two years old, since it shows our house as extended in April 2005.

If John H is right, that makes it sound like it was taken in June 2005. Any beter offers?

John Kearsey
👍

Tue 19 Jun 2007, 15:25

Its definately after August 03 as thats when I got my van which is clearly visible outside my house!

john h
👍

Mon 18 Jun 2007, 18:11

I would have guess at about 2or3 yrs ago, at this time of year or a little later, and by the shadows about 10.30/11.00am.could be wrong but the home zone has not been built, nor a canopy in my garden (built last summer). unless you know better out there!

Tom Copeland
👍

Mon 18 Jun 2007, 16:35

Can anyone pinpoint a time when the aerial shots were taken? I've noticed that the round about at the train station is there but the new houses opposite Ticknell Piece aren't. I'm sure we could pin it down to at least the week!!!

Julie Negus
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2007, 21:28

Fantasic is'nt it. Could spend ages looking.....
Didn' t realise Charlbury had so many swimming pools!!!!

Simon Tibbitts
👍

Sun 3 Jun 2007, 17:53

For anyone interested Google Earth (http://earth.google.com/) now has Charlbury in detail. Last time I checked in April it was still just a green blur but I've checked today and its in pretty good resolution.

maps.google.co.uk's satellite image is still yet to update but I'm sure it won't be long.

For those of you that haven't heard of Google Earth its just a free bit of software of a virtual globe composed of satellite and aerial photographs. You can zoom right into any place on the globe - its pretty cool, you need broadband really to use it.

- Simon

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.