Crisis at Charlbury Surgery

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 14 Mar 2017, 16:54

Please let's not get all "meta" about this: debating the argument itself, rather than the matter of substance, is the surest way to prolong an Internet argument and make things all Daily Mail-y. If you don't want to discuss something, don't; just move onto the next thread. The decision of what is suitable or not for the website is governed first by the rules to which everyone signs up, and second by the wise judgement (ho ho ho) of the forum moderators.

I'm locking this thread. If you'd like to discuss the surgery then please start a new thread here on the main board; if you'd like to discuss what's suitable for the website then please start a thread on the Admin Discussions board.

Phil Morgan
👍

Tue 14 Mar 2017, 16:09

I have to say that I too am with Hamish on this.
What is the point of reporting a "crisis" on a website?
These things happen. Complaints should be directed to the responsible body.

Miles Walkden
👍

Tue 14 Mar 2017, 15:30

With Hamish on this one.

Hamish Nichol
👍

Tue 14 Mar 2017, 09:17

More sensationalism! As I said A&E is for crises, not your local GP surgery.
There will always be times when there aren't sufficient locum GPs for non-emergency cover and unless there is an unlimited pot of money available for health care then this will always be the case.
If medicine is urgently needed then surely the patient has responsibility here as well, what would they do over weekends and bank holidays.
I still can't understand why the forum is the chosen platform for announcement? An unexpected bereavement should prompt compassion not complaint. And complaints should be sent direct to the source of the issue and then escalated as required.
If escalation doesn't work then sure form a working group via forum/social media to work towards resolving the problems.

vicky burton
👍

Tue 14 Mar 2017, 08:21

Hamish: This is not the first time recently, that no doctor has been available and they could not source a locum. I found out that there were no doctors because I needed to get a repeat prescription that the dispensary had overlooked. If everyone who cannot see a doctor ends up going to A and E just to be on the safe side or because they urgently need a medicine; this puts ridiculous and unnecessary pressure on the A and E!
It's not just a matter of waiting for the next day to see a doctor Hamish; there ends up being a massive back-log of people trying to get an appointment. There should be enough locum doctors on-call to cover for such eventualities. It worries me that this can happens so frequently and may be considered the norm!

Hamish Nichol
👍

Mon 13 Mar 2017, 23:57

Crisis really??? Charlbury Forum is like the Daily Mail!
I can not understand why everyone needs to know that one of our doctors has suffered a bereavement? And, last time I checked doctors are humans too, so they do have holidays, they even get ill occasionally and there isn't a store cupboard full of locums ready to be parachuted in at short notice.
For people suffering a true medical crisis then 999 is number you need.

Katie Ewer
👍

Mon 13 Mar 2017, 13:05

That explains why no-one was answering the phone this morning then! I tried several times to get through.

vicky burton
👍

Mon 13 Mar 2017, 12:48

I would like everyone to know that there are no doctors available today at Charlbury surgery. Apparently this is due to holidays, bereavement, and yet again; they have been unable to get a locum in.I really am beginning to think that there is really a NHS crisis, evident on out doorstep!

This thread has been locked. You cannot add any further replies.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.