Missing Parrot

Deborah Longshaw
👍

Sat 11 Feb 2017, 11:39

I totally agree with others on here that Dory must be adopted certainly as the website mascot, if not the Town's. It does make such a change to come on here & read a thread that had such a happy ending & which also illicts many a chuckle!

Sorry Miriam, I am all out of puns, & besides I think they have all been well & truly exhausted.

Would just like to say what a beautiful & intelligent young lady you have there. Maybe a colum or to in the Charbury Gazette about her recent antics?

Leah Fowler
👍

Thu 9 Feb 2017, 15:58

Makes a great change from all the winging usually on the forum,(sorry should there be an H somewhere)

Nick Johnson
👍

Wed 8 Feb 2017, 22:43

Did anyone notice that Finding Dory was Donald Trump's first choice of film for the White House cinema?

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 8 Feb 2017, 10:17

We are all glad you found her too Miriam apart from fact she is so gorgeous and wouldn't want her to come to any harm, we wouldn't have had this hilarious thread to cheer us all up. Thank you.

Miriam Evans
👍

Wed 8 Feb 2017, 08:39 (last edited on Wed 8 Feb 2017, 10:16)

I was so pleased to have been the person to rescue Dory and reunite her with her owner. We haven't been in Charlbury long and Dory was a very welcome visitor from the community. She was beside our french doors for a few minutes and I recognised her as an African Grey and knew she must belong to someone so I opened the door and gently picked her up in a tea towel, as I have never handled a parrott before, and brought her inside.She said 'hello' in a very polite manner and allowed me to stroke her. I contacted the vet and tried to call Gill. I then got my husband to find our old cat carrier and she happily went in there to wait. What a beautiful bird and what treat to have met her.

Angus B
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 21:33 (last edited on Tue 7 Feb 2017, 21:37)

Probably on her way to Canary Wharf

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 18:10 (last edited on Tue 7 Feb 2017, 18:10)

Oh please don't say that Gordon, sure you're joking!

Gordon Clemson
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 16:53

Quite an easy target for a golden arrow ?!

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 15:47

Credit entirely to Richard Broughton for the wonderful illustration! I rather think she's waiting for the Fleche d'Or(y): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Flèche_d'Or_(train) .

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 14:12

DORY could be waiting for the Flying Scotsman.

Elaine Newbold
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 13:48 (last edited on Tue 7 Feb 2017, 14:08)

Hope Dory got a cheep ticket

Angus B
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 10:57

Which train is Dory waiting for? Must be The Cheltenham Flyer

Pearl Manners
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 09:38

Brilliant Richard.

Nick Millea
👍

Tue 7 Feb 2017, 09:12

Richard - just loving the Charlbury station photograph at the top of the site. Which train is Dory waiting for?

Pearl Manners
👍

Sun 5 Feb 2017, 18:48 (last edited on Sun 5 Feb 2017, 19:00)

Well I looked straight away when Gill put posting up and saw it as I thought the person holding cup must had arm ache and kept so still as Dory took her time drinking it. Then when looked on my mobile few days later show someone it said not available without signing into You Tube.

However I have just clicked on Gill's post again now and DORY video is still there.

Suzy M-H
👍

Sun 5 Feb 2017, 17:47

Strangely, the video that appeared was someone unwrapping a car! No sign of Dory drinking tea :(

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 16:17

I think we are very lucky to have you Gill and the adorable DORY who appears to have cheered us all up with her antics.

Gill Begnor
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 15:36

Here she is enjoying a cup of tea:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOu27Sl5eEc

Gill Begnor
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 15:35

Did I mention that Dory also barks and howls, as she used to live with dogs? Thought you lot might like that, as you're clearly all barking mad! I'm a little concerned I may be 'hounded' out of the town for being the cause of all these terrible jokes! Thanks for the warning about internet shopping Rod. At least Dory never got to complete the order, as I came in just in time to hear Alexa asking if she'd like to buy a DVD for £14.99! Most of the time she just shouts "ALEXAAAAAAAAAAA - WAY WAY WAY FOUR", which is her way of trying to tell Alexa to play Radio 4. Occasionally it works but more often poor Alexa says "I'm sorry, I don't have an answer to the question I was just asked", which prompts Dory to shout at her again - and on and on and on.........!

Angus B
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 14:48 (last edited on Fri 3 Feb 2017, 14:49)

There are those who think they can feather their own nests with such comments; let those who come up to par rot in their own conceit and be given the bird.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 13:55

It certainly makes a welcome change from the usual polly-tics.

Andrew Greenfield
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 11:41

I am seriously thinking of an emergency call to the PPP, uumm- the Parrot Pun Police.

This is an epidemic - I love it!

Angus B
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 08:28 (last edited on Fri 3 Feb 2017, 08:31)

Simon Walker wrote, "I have to say that I am seriously concerned at the thought of a visit from the PFP, although I guess it's OK so long as the matter doesn't end up before the beak."

He'll probably be able to wing it and claw back some credibility.

Pearl Manners
👍

Fri 3 Feb 2017, 06:13

DORY is beautiful, I love the brightly coloured feathers at tail, so happy she's back home now.

Wendy Bailey
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 23:31

Wow Dory is beautiful..... please be our town mascot??? It's so nice to have a positive thread in here. A happy ending as well. Thank you to Gill for having Dory.

Rod Evans
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 22:22

In case you thought Gill was joking...

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/08/amazon-echo-rogue-payment-warning-tv-show-causes-alexa-order/

PS And in case you mistake me for a Telegraph reader, my brother-in-law in Tunbridge Wells sent me this, honest (but he's a jolly good fellow anyway)!

Simon Walker
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 18:41

I have to say that I am seriously concerned at the thought of a visit from the PFP, although I guess it's OK so long as the matter doesn't end up before the beak. Any parrot-about-town worth his or her salt should relish the idea of orange go-faster stripes, in my humble opinion at least.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 17:27

Here's Gill's pic of Dory!

(Sorry, couldn't get it to fit in the header pic, but it's too good a photo not to post...)

Gill Begnor
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 16:05

Well, Dory is very flattered to be the subject of so much fuss - although she says she's going to report Simon to the parrot fashion police! She's not really one for public appearances (believe it or not!), as she gets a bit shy and stuck for words until she gets to know people. She says thank you very much for the invites to the farmers market and the beer festival but she's worried she might get turned into a pie if she goes to the market and she's not a fan of beer. Far prefers a quiet life at home with a cup of tea, listening to Radio 4 and internet shopping (yes really - never have a parrot and an Amazon voice-controlled speaker in the same room!) She's very honoured at the suggestion that her photo should appear on the Charlbury website and has asked me to pick one of her best side and send it in. Richard - how do I send it to you? It's hard to catch her talking on video although she never shuts up when the phone is not being wielded! I can send you a video of her enjoying a cup of tea when she got home yesterday (after a half hour cuddle and a few very apologetic "Love you"s!!)

russell robson
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 15:33

Could Dory be a later candidate for election.

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 10:34

Send me a picture and I'll see what I can do!

Pearl Manners
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 09:48

I agree Nadine! What do you think Richard, like you did with the Pheasant when it was 'Headline' news, that would be brilliant! Pretty Please?

NADINE MILLS
👍

Thu 2 Feb 2017, 08:40

Charlbury should adopt Dory as the town mascot with a pic on the header of the Charlbury website or even perhaps a short film showcasing her vocal talents. This story has cheered us up no end!!

Sidley
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 21:07

Brilliant news!!!! Welcome home Dory!

Edward Fenton
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 20:52

Hi Gill! It's great to have some good news ... There's not so much to celebrate at the moment, but this story really brought a smile to my face. Simon's idea about the Farmers' Market is a great one. But also what about bringing Dory along to the Charlbury Beer Festival on Saturday 24 June? We are very pleased to have been able to welcome you onto the CBF committee recently, as our newest recruit, and although we probably won't be able to give Dory a place on the committee, I'm sure that the rest of the committee would make her very welcome as a special guest on the day.

russell robson
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 20:32

Who's going to make the film....Finding um!

Simon Walker
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 16:52

Gill - may I make a couple of suggestions:

1 - why not bring Dory down to the Playing Close the next time there is a Farmers' Market there, so as many people as possible get to see what she looks like for the next time she does a runner; and
2 - How about dyeing some of her grey bits with orange go-faster stripes, so that she stands out better from the local pigeons. Obviously the shade of orange would have to coordinate well with the red in her tail, but that should be achievable .....

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 16:27 (last edited on Wed 1 Feb 2017, 17:08)

Hello Gill,that is great news. Thank you for your kind words, shall we still have a photo of DORY for future reference maybe.....

I'm pleased to be your first FB friend in Charlbury, I don't post much myself, either missing animals or local news for those people who don't read the forum.
I use it mostly to keep in touch with my family and see photos or little videos of my gorgeous Great Granddaughter. Hope you don't find it too boring......Pearl

Richard Fairhurst
(site admin)
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 14:41

Great news!

Gill Begnor
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 14:29

And she's back! Apparently she waddled up to someone's patio doors and knocked on them until she was let in and then said "Hello"!! Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions - and thank you Pearl - I have accepted your friend request because you are obviously a nice person and you are now officially my first Charlbury Facebook friend!

Pearl Manners
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 13:21

Gill have sent you a friends request on FB. Pearl

Gill Begnor
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 12:56

Actually I've just had a thought - if anyone in Charlbury is on Facebook and wouldn't mind sending me a friend request, I could forward a photo and maybe we could spread the word that way. I don't have any Facebook friends in Charlbury, as I only moved here fairly recently.

Gill Begnor
👍

Wed 1 Feb 2017, 12:42

Last time we found her via the forum - people in Charlbury are great at spreading the word. Parrots tend to seek out people after about 3 days - when they realise that they are very hungry! The problem with photos is that she looks very like a pigeon until you get close up, by which time a) you spot her red tail and b) you realise she is talking to you - so is probably not a pigeon! So I'm hoping she'll turn up in someone's garden soon. Please tell all your friends to look out for a talking pigeon with a red tail! Thank you for your concern - it's much appreciated and I'll let everyone know if she turns up.

Sidley
👍

Tue 31 Jan 2017, 19:15

Have you got a picture of Dory? Could you (if you haven't already) put some posters around with a picture of her? You must be so worried....

Gill Begnor
👍

Tue 31 Jan 2017, 08:53

Still no news on Dory, who will be one very cold and soggy little parrot by now :-( Please look/listen out for her in your gardens today. She's usually especially vocal between about 4 and 5, just before it gets dark, when she runs through most of her repertoire to call her flock (that's me!) together for the night! Thanks

Gill Begnor
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2017, 17:07

Thanks for trying :-)

Sidley
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2017, 16:39

After some digging around, I have found the post - and it's a canary that has been found, so it doesn't sound like Dory.... I'm so sorry. I hope she is flying around happily and just chatting to friends before returning home to you!

Gill Begnor
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2017, 16:24

Hi there, That's really kind of you - thank you! She's different from a parakeet in that she is mostly grey - which makes her look exactly like a pigeon when she's in a tree. You have no idea how many pigeons there are in Charlbury until you start looking for something that looks like one! She also mimics budgies, red kites, cats and dogs - so basically if anyone hears anything that they think shouldn't be in a tree, please contact me!

Sidley
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2017, 15:56

Hi Gill, I'm in Witney and I'm SURE that someone posted earlier via a facebook group asking if anyone had lost a parrot / parakeet (sorry, I don't know if they are similar?!?!) - I am trying to find it for you!!! Dory sounds delightful.

Gill Begnor
👍

Mon 30 Jan 2017, 10:33

My African Grey parrot, Dory, has escaped AGAIN! Last time she was missing for 3 days but, during that time, she landed in a couple of gardens where dogs were in outside kennels. Dory used to live with dogs and speaks their language so I think she lands where she can find one to explain her predicament to! She is grey with a red tail, very friendly and has a wide vocabulary and range of sounds including phones, wolf whistles, the Radio 4 time pips, police sirens and bird sounds, including quacks and 'cuckoo's! So if you hear any of those in your garden or if you have dogs outside which start barking at an intruder, please call me on 07855 807005. Thanks, Gill

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.