Save Post Offices

Amanda Epps
👍

Sun 18 Dec 2016, 11:50

Just seen that there's a PO survey on 38 degrees too.

Amanda Epps
👍

Sun 18 Dec 2016, 11:49

I filled in the consultation document this morning, submitted and got a message implying that I had made some kind of error and advising going back. Was pretty miffed and decided to try another day. Then went to my emails and found one thanking me for taking part! So glad I didn't do it all again. Conspiracy or?

Jackie Hague
👍

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 16:19 (last edited on Sat 17 Dec 2016, 16:19)

Hello Helen, here is the relevant section of the document, below which is the link to the full consultation document.

The current criteria are:

• Nationally, 99% of the UK population to be within three miles and 90% of the population to be within one mile of their nearest post of ce.

• In deprived urban areas, 99% of the total population across the UK to be within one mile of their nearest post office.

• In urban areas, 95% of the total population across the UK to be within one mile of their nearest post office.

• In rural areas, 95% of the total population across the UK to be within three miles of their nearest post office.

Government does not propose changing the criteria that define what a nationwide network of post offices should look like. However to make sure that the network continues to be able to meet customers' and communities' needs, government does want to understand from consumers and businesses whether they believe these criteria remain relevant, and if not whether a different approach should be considered.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/566186/beis-16-36-post-office-network-consultation.pdf

Helen Bessemer-Clark
👍

Sat 17 Dec 2016, 11:20

Jackie, I found the Government website you mention, and tried to reply. The first question was "did I agree with the present criteria for maintaining the post offices?" It may be I didn't press the right buttons,, but I found it impossible to discover, in simple terms, what the present criteria were. Are you any the wiser? We have four more days to answer that one!

Elaine Newbold
👍

Thu 15 Dec 2016, 18:38

The Post Card campaign has now closed as the CWU will handover tens of thousands of postcards, signed by members of the public calling for the Post Office to halt their closure programme, to the government on Monday morning. This will take place at 11:00 at BEIS, Victoria Street. This event is open to the media. a big thank you for everyone that has signed one -

Jackie Hague
👍

Thu 15 Dec 2016, 17:43

In addition to the 38 Degrees petition and the printed cards that Elaine has at Charlbury Post office to show support for Post Offices, there is a government consultation - strange that it hasn't been well publicised - to get views on the future of post offices. https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/post-office-network
The closing date is 21st December.

Amanda Epps
👍

Thu 15 Dec 2016, 15:35

There's a petition to save Post Offices from closure on 38degrees.org.uk. As this is a national as well as a local issue, please sign this as well as the post cards in the Post Office.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.