What veg grows well in Charlbury soil?

ivan krechov
👍

Tue 1 May 2007, 19:49

manure is what you wants my deary loads and loads of it. my friend igor seems to have plenty of it to spread around.

Nick Johnson
👍

Mon 30 Apr 2007, 22:00

Simon. Charlbury's soil is generally limy (alkaline)varying from sandy loam to clay.You can get a lot of good advice from experienced gardeners by joining the Society formerly known as Charlbury Horticultural Society (now Charlbury Garden Society). Come along to the Society's plant sale at 9.30 on Saturday 12 May in the memorial hall. Come early, it's Charlbury's equivalent of Harrod's sale- we sell over £1000 of plants in about an hour.

Simon Tibbitts
👍

Mon 30 Apr 2007, 18:16

Hi Mandy and Derek.

Thanks both for your replies. We'll try some of your suggestions and we'll let you know how we get on!

- Simon & Rachel.

mandy
👍

Mon 30 Apr 2007, 07:28

hi simon when my grandad was alive he lived in huges close and he could grow just about anything carrots peas rhubarb spuds runner beans i think its just trai and error.good luck

Derek Collett
👍

Sun 29 Apr 2007, 22:28

Hi Simon. The best description of the Charlbury soil I can give you is "stony"! However, it also seems to be relatively fertile as I managed to grow spinach, peas, broad beans and runner beans last year without using any chemicals. The broad beans were eaten alive by blackfly but that's not the fault of the soil. My garden is fairly shady as well so you might manage to grow some or all of the above. Good luck!

john h
👍

Sun 29 Apr 2007, 18:08

Please put this R in staight

john h
👍

Sun 29 Apr 2007, 18:06

Never miss an oportunity do you Suzie. If Simon were to contact Nick Johnson on 01608 810507 he will put you in touch with a member of the Hoc . Soc. Failing that, have a walk to the Oxpens allotments 2min walk from the green, on the banbury road you will find gardeners there and they will put you staight

Susie Finch
(site admin)
👍

Sun 29 Apr 2007, 10:32

HI Simon and Rachel and welcome to Charlbury. Havent a clue what veg grows well in Charlbury ..... however, if you would like to help with Street Fair (our annual fair held to raise money for the upkeep of the Corner House and Memorial Hall), please do come along tomorrow to the Garden Room (aptly named!) at 8pm and ask for Susie ! susanna_finch@hotmail.com You will be both most welcome

Simon Tibbitts
👍

Sat 28 Apr 2007, 20:24

Hi All.

Rachel and I moved to Charlbury two weeks ago, we live up on the Green and I've cleared a 6 foot by 4 foot patch in the garden in the shade in hope of growing some veggies for a Sunday roast.

We don't have a clue what type of soil we have, can anyone recommend some veg we can grow that they know will go well with our soil? The patch I have cleared is up against a fence so preferably some veg that would like the shade.

Thanks very much
Simon & Rachel

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.