Thanks GWR!

Christine Battersby
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 13:28 (last edited on Fri 9 Dec 2016, 13:29)

The two Oxford stations (OXF and OXP) join up this coming Monday (12th December). This means it will be possible to travel from Charlbury to London Marylebone by train, with 1 change at Oxford Botley Rd station. Indeed, those travelling into London over Christmas will mostly need to take this route whilst Paddington station is closed between December 24th and December 29th.

If you are travelling to Marylebone on any date after Monday & expect to return on a weekday afternoon, I recommend comparing the price of 2 different sets of tickets. A Charlbury to Marylebone return will mean that you can't come back from London cheaply during peak hours. On the other hand, Charlbury to Oxford Parkway return plus an Oxford Parkway to Marylebone return loses the time restrictions. This requires buying 2 different tickets.

The savings can be substantial, but don't apply to all timings. In peak hours the direct through ticket can be cheaper, so people need to check. I am posting this in this thread which was started earlier today, even though it's not GWR that we need to thank for this!

Elaine Newbold
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 09:14

Alex thanks for the warning

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 05:49

11th and 18th December dammit!

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 05:48

Apologies I misread the notice - it is only on Sundays 11th and 19th December. The weekdays should be fine. What a relief! Please Delete/Ammend thread!

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 05:44

Correction - between 11th and 18th December between Oxford and Hanborough

Alex Flynn
👍

Fri 9 Dec 2016, 05:42

At short notice GWR decided to run rail replacement buses between 12th and 18th December. Just what we all need! I happened to spot this at Oxford station only last night and thought you may be interested.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.