The new village of Cornbury

James Styring
👍

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 21:50

Brilliant suggestion, Andrew. It is a little known fact that one can apply for permission to build houses (or any structure) anywhere. You don't need to be the landowner. (This is true.)
I am working on an application for a velodrome in Cornbury Park.

vicky burton
👍

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 17:17

Well said Miles!

Miles Walkden
👍

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 14:27

Ha! great idea. it does expand on the conversation we had a few days back about actively looking for a housing plan that works for us - the motivation being sustainable and useful housing, as opposed to the current system where we fight builders until we eventually lose - the motivation then being maximum profit for the builders. Any profits from a community scheme going directly to those affected.

Tony H Merry
👍

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 13:24

great idea and with lord Rs love of flying just the place for a new airport let's get going

Andrew Chapman
👍

Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:47 (last edited on Mon 28 Nov 2016, 10:48)

Given all the discussions of various potential and unpopular sites for development, I'd like to make a suggestion. There's a large house to the west of Charlbury currently up for sale. It has 10 bedrooms, and I imagine could be subdivided into, say, half a dozen luxury flats. It is set in 13 acres of gardens. Typically developers can build 16 houses per acre, so if we built on 10 of these acres, that would be 160 homes. Including the flats, we could probably therefore accommodate nearly 170 new households on the site.

If we then use the remaining three acres to build a new village school, and a shop or two, the pressure on Charlbury would be hugely reduced. A new path to the station, with cycle provision, would be useful, so Cornbury New Village can also be well-connected.

If this scheme goes well, we could then consider something similar in that big place next to Woodstock.

You must log in before you can post a reply.

Charlbury Website © 2012-2024. Contributions are the opinion of and property of their authors. Heading photo by David R Murphy. Code/design by Richard Fairhurst. Contact us. Follow us on Twitter. Like us on Facebook.